Photo
- - - - -

Recommended book on current status of Christians in Middle East?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Christopher Haas

Christopher Haas

Junior Poster

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 13 January 2012 - 04:53 PM

Greetings, all!
I am teaching a college-level course this semester on Byzantine Civilization. As one of several out-of-class assignments, I ask the students to read and review a book from a short list of selected titles. In the past, one of the choices has been W. Dalrymple's "From the Holy Mountain: A Journey Among the Christians of the Near East." Unfortunately, the book is now seriously out of date. I would like to find a readable text that would highlight the continuity of Orthodox Christian presence throughout the Middle East. My strong preference is that it not be overly polemical in tone, but would also provide the human dimension
to understanding the precarious position of Christians from Turkey to Egypt, especially in the midst of the current upheavals in the region.
Many thanks for any suggestions!
Christopher Haas

#2 Father David Moser

Father David Moser

• Moderators
  • 3,581 posts
  • Orthodox Christian Member
  • Verified Cleric

Posted 13 January 2012 - 05:25 PM

I recently came across a book Christian Presence in The Holy Land by Fuad D Farah published by "Sophia", an independent association for the welfare of Orthodox (www.sophia-ngo.com). It reads a bit stiffly and is focused primarily on the Palestinian Christians. I have not found polemics, however there are certainly some politics in the book. I think though that it might be a viable choice for your consideration.

The contact information for the author is P.O. Box 2723, Nazareth, Israel fuad007@live.com

Fr David Moser

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users