• Please log in to reply
65 replies to this topic

#61 Athanasius

Athanasius

Junior Poster

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 08:00 AM

I don't "worry" about my Bishop. I do pay attention to him however, in accordance with the admonition of the Holy Apostle: "Obey those who rule over you, and be submissive, for they watch out for your souls, as those who must give account. Let them do so with joy and not with grief, for that would be unprofitable for you." (Hebrews 13:17)

I meant what I posted. I was "riffing" on a theme by the humorist/social commentator Will Rogers who once said, "I don't belong to any organized political party, I'm a Democrat".

So you don't actually mean that Orthodoxy is not an 'organised' religion? Sorry - never heard of Will Rogers on this side of the Atlantic.

I do agree with you about the EP, by the way. He is in a very delicate position. True ecumenism is speaking the truth in love, but many of us, through our hardness of heart, would have our Bishops and Patriarchs not speak at all.

Christ was also crticised for who he chose speak to.

#62 Herman Blaydoe

Herman Blaydoe

• Moderators
  • 4,157 posts
  • Orthodox Christian Member

Posted 27 March 2013 - 05:08 PM

Google is your friend. "Will Rogers" will provide a wealth of information if you are interested. He was actually quite an interesing individual. Since you are probably not familiar with the American Democratic party I assume that reference is wasted as well. We do well to remember that we have an international participation and local cultural humor does not always translate well. Thank you for the reminder. Orthodoxy has an "organization" in that it has a structure, but to say it is "organized" might be a stretch, IMO. There is much that is very disorganized indeed. But we manage to muddle along down through the millenia anyway, and we continue to pray that our bishops "rightly divine the word of His Truth" and continue to safeguard the treasure of the Apostolic Witness uncompromised.

#63 Rdr Andreas

Rdr Andreas

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,036 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 07:19 PM

Herman is right to be circumspect about the word 'organised'.  Orthodoxy, as is often said, is not a religion in the sense that it is not a human construct.  It is the revelation of God's truth and to speak of the truth as being organised is a little odd.  It may be said to be 'organised' to the extent that Christ commissioned the apostles to make disciples and baptize.  Christ also commanded men to commemorate Him in the Eucharist.  The apostles' successors, the bishops, continue this commission and to preside over the Eucharist (even if, often, by his signed antimension).

#64 Kosta

Kosta

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,517 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 07:56 AM

I'm really not sure why Orthodoxy would not be considered an organized religion, since thats precisely what it is. We have fixed and moveable feast days based on a liturgical calendar. We have canons that regulates the life of the Church. We have fasting rules for the fasting periods. We celebrate the liturgy of St Basil the great on the same 10 days of the year etc. If thats not organization then the word doesnt have a meaning.

Its the same with exclusivity. Many people reject this word for the Church,  yet thats precisely what the Orthodox Church is. We have closed communion, we believe we are the one, holy, catholic, and apostolic Church, we dont marry couples just for the sake of getting married, we dont pray with heretics, we wont baptise anyone who rejects any article of the Creed. Thats not inclusive thats being exclusive. Especially in todays age of political correctness, trying to convince anyone that Orthodoxy is inclusive would be a hard sell. 

#65 Herman Blaydoe

Herman Blaydoe

• Moderators
  • 4,157 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 11:58 AM

While it may not be necessary unto salvation, obtaining a sense of humor can make life a little easier to bear at times. Some things are taken entirely too seriously.

#66 Rdr Andreas

Rdr Andreas

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,036 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 12:07 PM

Orthodoxy is inclusive - anyone can join.  As to Kosta's point about Orthodoxy being organised, the arrangements made in time and space look like organisation but really go far beyond as reflecting the heavenly and matters which are beyond time and space.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users