#1 Nik H

Nik H

Junior Poster

• Members
  • 5 posts
  • Orthodox Christian Member

Posted 23 January 2012 - 10:55 PM

Dear All,
Greek Orthodox, Herts. UK, believer, of this world, early fifties, lost my Greek wife after a short battle with cancer two years ago - eonia i mnimi tis. Still in a dark place inside.

Discovered monachos 18 months ago - not only helpful, but also 'enjoyable' - breadth and depth of reading, knowledge and interpretation, intellect on display, faith and humility, 'characters' etc. Thank you.

May I ask for some guidance on spiritual reading please - or even places to visit in order to purchase. A special (intensely atmospheric place) I discovered is Tolleshunt Knights - although I have only attended a handful of times.

Thank you in advance.

Kirie Eleison.

Nik H

#2 Alice

Alice

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 673 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 02:31 AM

Dear Nik,

I am sorry that I personally cannot help you with the books you are looking for. I am sure that someone else here will be able to help.

However, I would like to offer my sympathy to you on the loss of your beloved wife. I can only imagine how difficult it has been for you.

Please continue to join us by posting! :-)

In Christ our Lord,
Alice

#3 Mark Harris

Mark Harris

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 03:55 PM

I have just bought and am now reading "The Way of a Pilgrim" - I had heard of it but never read it before and is truly one of my favourite books already. The Pilgrim in it who is telling us his story has lost his wife too.
In Christ
Mark

#4 Nik H

Nik H

Junior Poster

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 05 February 2012 - 07:43 PM

Many thanks to those that replied above and via pm.
A number of members opened the thread and probably thought 'press the seach button Nik!' And so I did - and am in particular grateful to member Nina who started the thread 'which spiritual books are people reading' June '07'. It contains a wealth of material not only of help to me but also I guess to newer members who haven't come across it. Thus if anyone wants to update, refresh or add to Nina's post, then it may benefit the many. Re: my post above - any further suggestions are most welcome.
In Christ, nik

#5 Steve Orr

Steve Orr

Regular Poster

• Members
  • Pip
  • 27 posts

Posted 05 February 2012 - 09:16 PM

I'm very sorry to hear of your loss and struggles. I lost my mom several months ago to cancer, and a book that was recommended to me and which proved helpful was: Heavenly Wisdom from God-illumined Teachers on Conquering Depression, published by St. Herman of Alaska Brotherhood.

#6 Nik H

Nik H

Junior Poster

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 07:50 AM

An uplifting and easy read: Wounded by Love - the life and wisdom of Elder Porphyrios. I commend it to all.
nik h

#7 Kusanagi

Kusanagi

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 716 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 10:40 AM

Since you live in Herts. it will be worth visiting St Andrew's Church in Kentish town and you can speak to any of the priests there or even the Bishop.

#8 Nik H

Nik H

Junior Poster

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 07:15 PM

Firstly, Dear Kusanagi, thank you and followed up as per our pms.
Second, for those on the board that may want a shorter read of Philokalia (c220 pages vs 1200) ie selected extracts, may I suggest the Publication by Skylight Paths, 2010, annotated by Allyne Smith. There are chapters on Repentance,The Heart, Prayer, The Jesus Prayer, The Passions, Stillness and In the End, Theosis- supported by notes and suggestions for further reading. I am humbled every time I read a little. Nik H

#9 Rdr Andreas

Rdr Andreas

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,030 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 07:46 PM

Nik, PM me - I know about this.

#10 Jeremy Troy

Jeremy Troy

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 175 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 08:56 PM

There is a book by St. Theophan the Recluse called The Spiritual Life and How to Be Attuned to It‚Äč. I especially recommend it.

#11 Nik H

Nik H

Junior Poster

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 07:26 PM

Thanks for the recommendation, Jeremy. I'll organise a copy. Already have one of St Theophan's magnum opus 'The Path to Salvation'. Not sure if I'm in a minority - moderator(s) welcome to comment - but I perceive that the more spiritual material I absorb, the less I know and the less I am. Don't mean to philosophise or intellectualise, just observe that the penned wisdom of the Church Fathers and Saints is of a depth and breadth and so contemporary that it seems 'other wordly'. Hope this makes sense. nik h

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users