- - - - -

Visit to Mount Athos

• Please log in to reply
133 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Vlad Benea

Guest_Vlad Benea
  • Guests

Posted 07 June 2002 - 10:03 PM

With the help of God, on 24th this month, I will go to the Holy Mount. I would like to ask you people if anyone has any "tips", what to visit, how should I do it, etc.

In Christ,
Vlad

#2 Owen Jones

Owen Jones

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,341 posts
  • Orthodox Christian Member

Posted 08 June 2002 - 01:04 AM

Dear Vlad,

The only Athonite I know is an American at Vatopeidi. A very solid person. And from what he said, I gather that it is a very solid monastery, worth visiting. But they may not let you leave!

#3 Guest_Vlad Benea

Guest_Vlad Benea
  • Guests

Posted 10 June 2002 - 11:57 AM

Leave home or leave the monastery? If it's home they wouldn't let me leave, then I hope they will, cause I have all the papers. If it's monastery they wouldn't let me leave, I'm afraid I'm not for monastic life.

Thank you Owen,
Vlad

#4 M.C. Steenberg

M.C. Steenberg

Former Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,843 posts

Posted 10 June 2002 - 03:21 PM

Vlad, if you are at all able, try to get to the holy monastery of Simonopetra while you are on the Mountain. The community of monks in this monastery is truly wonderful, and few people ever leave that place unmoved.

Since you speak English, ask to speak with Fr Iakovos or Fr Makarios, who both love to tell the story of monasticism at Simonopetra.

XB, Matthew

#5 Guest_Vlad Benea

Guest_Vlad Benea
  • Guests

Posted 10 June 2002 - 09:17 PM

Thank you Matthew. I have read Father's Makarios "Explained Triodion", which I found to be a great book. But I don't know if I'll have the dareness (don't know the English word) to go talk to him in person. I am rather a shy person. God knows, though, what will happen. I think I'll be able to visit all (or most) of the monasteries, as I'm expected there by a Romanian Fr., who has a car.

Thank you again,
Vlad

#6 Guest_Andonis Saridopoulos

Guest_Andonis Saridopoulos
  • Guests

Posted 15 October 2002 - 12:06 AM

i am really keen on getting to Mount Athos very soon. i feel i need to remove myself from my daily life, in order to confess and seek true repentance and i can think of no better place. i was just wandering what kind of papers, forms need to be completed in order to go, how long can one stay etc, etc? can someone direct me?

#7 Guest_Stephen Keeler

Guest_Stephen Keeler
  • Guests

Posted 15 October 2002 - 01:28 AM

Here's the process as I recall from 17 years ago.

1. Find out if your spiritual father, pastor or bishop has a community or person on Mt. Athos whom they would recommend you visit. Abbot Basil on Stavronikita was my contact, and he may still be there.

2. Even if 1 is not possible, write a letter to the Head House. There should be instructions on the Web somewhere.

3. Get a letter from your diocesan chancery affirming that you are an Orthodox Christian in good standing, with your bishop's seal, asking them to accept you. This will allow you to stay longer on a visitation visa, if you will, and follows the canonical chain from you to the abbott. For example, I was a member at the time of the Japanese Orthodox Church, so my letter of introduction was directed to the abbott of the Russikon, as the Russian Orthodox Church is the mother of the JOC. Non-Orthodox are welcome, but generally can't stay as long on a regular visit visa.

4. Visitor flow to Mt. Athos is administered by the Church in conjunction with the gov't of Greece (hey, it's a tourist destination, and that's big in Greece.) You will need to get a visitor pass or visa in Thessalonkia, presenting to the office there your passport and letters.

5. Once stamped, you will need to take a bus to the port through which most traffic to and from Greece and the peninsula occurs. Then you get a boat to Mt. Athos. Walk up to the Head House, and thence to particular monastery, best before dusk. Hence, travel is generally two days from your arrival in Saloniki.

Simonapetra and Gregoriou were at that time the two monasteries with the greatest growth and dynamism, and to which the other monasteries deferred as having the brighest bulbs, the Russikon the most interesting from an architectural and general sort of cool organic decay perspective, Stavronikita homey with a strong relationship to local Greeks, Iveron a step back, way back, in time, Skete Prophet Elias, then ROCOR affiliated, with the best incense.

Some old, fond memories. Thanks.

#8 Effie Ganatsios

Effie Ganatsios

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,725 posts
  • Orthodox Christian Member

Posted 15 October 2002 - 05:00 AM

Reply to Andonis post no. 19

Andoni, I wrote a reply to your last message on the Sin and Repentance thread.

Do you know that women are not allowed to visit Mt. Athos???????? Now, that is something I would like to discuss.

My cousin is a monk at one of the monasteries there and he seems to be very content. Visiting Mt. Athos cannot do you anything but good. Some of our friends go regularly - once every one or two years. There was an exhibition a couple of years ago in Thessaloniki of many of the icons and other artifacts from some of the monasteries on Mt. Athos. I intended to go but unfortunately never got around to it.

Hope you manage to visit.

Effie

#9 Richard McBride

Richard McBride

Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 285 posts

Posted 15 October 2002 - 06:47 PM

Dear Beloved of God, Adonis:

I notice that Mount Athos has a new web page (new at least to the one I had), and if you have not tried it, you can communicate with them; otherwise, I notice that Stephen has filled many blanks of the process for you; here is the new URL:

http://www.medialab.ntua.gr/athos.html

richard mcb

#10 M.C. Steenberg

M.C. Steenberg

Former Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,843 posts

Posted 15 October 2002 - 11:34 PM

Dear all,

The Mount Athos Area on this website contains a fair amount of information on the Holy Mountain. These resources include a relatively detailed set of instructions on the procedures for visiting the Holy Mountain.

INXC, Matthew

#11 Guest_Wallace Justin Miller

Guest_Wallace Justin Miller
  • Guests

Posted 13 November 2002 - 09:09 PM

I posted under the wrong topic, it seems. I should have looked here. If anyone can help, I need help calling the Pilgrim's Office in Thessaloniki. I have the number (the city code has been changed) and I try to call, but I always get a busy signal or a recording that says something about the number not being in service. The numbers I have are:

011-30-031-861-611 (the first number, before I found out about the new city code for Thess.)

011-30-2310-861-611 (the one I have now).

I really need to call this place soon, to set up a reservation in the quota. Can anyone help me out with times to call (I'm on the west coast of the USA) or maybe a better number? I'd really appreciate it! Thanks!

#12 Guest_Judy Kettenhofen

Guest_Judy Kettenhofen
  • Guests

Posted 16 November 2002 - 05:09 AM

There are some numbers on this page that might be helpful.
http://www.macedonia...s/visiting.html

For Thessaloniki, the number given is
30(0)31 833 733
It also has a number for Ouranoupolis:
30(0)31 833 733

I had thought I had read something recently which said that the the Pilgrim Office had been moved to Ouranoupolis. But I'm surprised that Friends of Mt. Athos doesn't have a current number!

God Bless you on your journeys, and if this helps, say some prayers for me up on the Mountain, where I will never be able to go (being female).

In Christ,

heart

#13 Guest_demetrios karaolanis

Guest_demetrios karaolanis
  • Guests

Posted 14 December 2002 - 02:13 AM

I would like to know what karoulia is like, if anyone has ever been there. I can only find very brief descriptions in any book.

#14 John Wilson

John Wilson

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 127 posts

Posted 16 December 2002 - 12:36 PM

Demetrios, I can only give you a link from the site Judy mentioned above which also gives a brief description http://www.macedonia...onasteries.html

Click on Hesychasterion, the last link under Other Dwellings.

As far as I know, the pilgrim office is still in Thessaloniki, up on Egnatia St. A word of advice though. There are strict limits on the number of visitors who can enter each day via the normal channels and you may find that those quotas have been filled over the days you are able to get to Greece. Do not despair though. If you know someone who can contact the Geronta at one of the Monasteries or Sketes directly, they may be able to arrange for you to visit at that monk's invitation, in which case you will bypass a lot of the necessary red tape and you will be able to stay for longer.

#15 John Wilson

John Wilson

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 127 posts

Posted 16 December 2002 - 12:52 PM

Judy, I don't know if you intend visiting Greece, but there is a women's monastery at Ormylia in Halkidiki (not far from Ouranoupoli) where you would be able to stay. The sister's there have developed a strong ministry towards visitors plus a good many of them speak English fluently. Sister Prosdokia is a Cypriate who grew up in England for example or Sister Damiani, who was a doctor in Sydney, Australia before entering the monastery (along with most of her family I might add. Her mother is also a sister at the same monastery, and her father and a brother are monks on Mt. Athos). The monastery at Ormylia is currently home to approximately 100 nuns.

#16 Guest_demetrios karaolanis

• Guests

Posted 16 December 2002 - 04:09 PM

thank's for the link john it was just what I wanted. a pilgrimage to some of the sketes (maybe not karoulia) is what I have always thought of.

#17 John Wilson

John Wilson

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 127 posts

Posted 17 December 2002 - 01:30 PM

You are most welcome Demetri. I personally have only stayed at one skete (Agios Panteleimonas, near Koutloumousiou Monastery) on my visits to Agion Oros. Thus I can't speak for the monasteries although I believe that you are required to take part in most of the activities while staying at one. The sketes are generally a lot more relaxed about this though that may vary from skete to skete.

#18 Guest_demetrios karaolanis

• Guests

Posted 26 December 2002 - 12:04 AM

I think that the sketes are a place filled with a deep sense of asceticism, not that the monasteries are not, but I would find a deep sense of isolation there. I have always enjoyed studying the sketes or sketae I think it would be wonderful to visit one. I think it could change a person's life to see such a deeply devout comunity at work

#19 Guest_Herman F Bansmer

Guest_Herman F Bansmer
  • Guests

Posted 11 June 2003 - 09:04 PM

Reference is made to the following site, maintained by Prof. Allison on behalf of The Friends of Mt. Athos:
http://abacus.bates....llison/friends/

#20 Guest_Andonis

Guest_Andonis
  • Guests

Posted 27 June 2003 - 12:35 PM

i am finally here in this blessed orthodox nation called Greece. the sun shines so bright every day, that it feels as if i am bearing witness to God's smile every day. i must admit that i've been anything but spiritual ever since i got here, eating and drinking too much with all the relations. still somewhat recovering from jet lag. am planning to be on mount athos in approximately three weeks. am attending my first divine liturgy on Greek soil this Sunday. sorry to bore you with all this, just wanted to share my excitement. will keep you posted re any spiritual developments.

God bless
Andonis.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users