- - - - -

Visit to Mount Athos

• Please log in to reply
133 replies to this topic

#21 Guest_cale

Guest_cale
  • Guests

Posted 27 June 2003 - 11:20 PM

Its not boring, its really good to hear from you.

Keeps us posted and pray for us.

#22 John Wilson

John Wilson

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 127 posts

Posted 30 June 2003 - 07:17 AM

Welcome to Greece Andonis!

If possible could you send me an email so we can keep in touch. You've probably noticed from other posts that I'm hoping to rope you in on a trip to visit Effie at Kozani. Alas Effie is no longer online for the time being so we'll have to keep in touch by phone.

Which particular part of Greece are you in at the moment?

John.

#23 Guest_Andonis

Guest_Andonis
  • Guests

Posted 03 July 2003 - 08:21 PM

Hi John,
i sent you a private email with my mobile phone number, not sure if you received it. i should be in the north of Greece about 10th of July. hopefully we can get in touch..

Andonis

#24 John Wilson

John Wilson

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 127 posts

Posted 04 July 2003 - 06:49 AM

Thanks Andonis, I got it. I'll try to give you a call in the afternoon.

John

#25 Guest_Thomas Ilich

Guest_Thomas Ilich
  • Guests

Posted 14 August 2003 - 08:23 AM

Has anyone else read this?

"ENCOUNTERING THE HOLY MOUNTAIN: A Pilgrim's Diary"

http://www.monachos....ing_athos.shtml

It seems like it would interest some people here.

#26 Albert Hein

Albert Hein

Junior Poster

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 29 October 2007 - 11:46 PM

With the help of God, on 24th this month, I will go to the Holy Mount. I would like to ask you people if anyone has any "tips", what to visit, how should I do it, etc.

In Christ,
Vlad

I also want to go to Athos and/or Saint Catherines Monastery. How much does it cost? Can an English speaking American go there and survive? Thanks.

Albert

#27 Nina

Nina

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,149 posts

Posted 30 October 2007 - 03:01 PM

I also want to go to Athos and/or Saint Catherines Monastery. How much does it cost? Can an English speaking American go there and survive? Thanks.

Albert

:) Do not worry there are many here who can guide you but also there are some threads here about it.

Also our brother in Christ from here Paul Cowan is going in Mount Athos in 19 days (right, Paul?) and he can tell you more from first-hand experience. Most of the world speaks English today, and in Mount Athos there are monks who were born in English speaking countries.

Have a blessed time planing for your wish-trip!

#28 Paul Cowan

Paul Cowan

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,064 posts
  • Orthodox Christian Member

Posted 31 October 2007 - 02:13 AM

:) Do not worry there are many here who can guide you but also there are some threads here about it.

Also our brother in Christ from here Paul Cowan is going in Mount Athos in 19 days (right, Paul?) and he can tell you more from first-hand experience. Most of the world speaks English today, and in Mount Athos there are monks who were born in English speaking countries.

Have a blessed time planing for your wish-trip!

Well no actually, 17 days 16 hours and 28 minutes. give or take a few seconds :P

#29 Nicolaj

Nicolaj

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 371 posts

Posted 31 October 2007 - 04:11 PM

As you are travelling to Mt. Athos, have you the address of the Monastery of Vatopediou? Can you send it me via PM or here? Or perhaps you can tell me where to find the postal addresses of the monasteries on the Holy Mountain?

Would be a great help! Thanks, Nicolaj

#30 Paul Cowan

Paul Cowan

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,064 posts

Posted 01 November 2007 - 02:37 AM

As you are travelling to Mt. Athos, have you the address of the Monastery of Vatopediou? Can you send it me via PM or here? Or perhaps you can tell me where to find the postal addresses of the monasteries on the Holy Mountain?

Would be a great help! Thanks, Nicolaj

Dear Nicolaj,

I will see if I can get them before I go. If not, I will ask while I am in Karyes for you.

#31 Nicolaj

Nicolaj

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 371 posts

Posted 01 November 2007 - 06:42 PM

Very kind of you, but intensive web research did it! I got the addresses and this weekend I will write a lot of letters!

Wish you a blessed journey to Athos! Remember me and us all when there in your prayers!

Nicolaj

#32 Effie Ganatsios

Effie Ganatsios

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,725 posts

Posted 04 November 2007 - 09:30 AM

Albert

Albert, are you referring to St. Catherine Monastery in Sinai? Why wouldn't an English speaking American survive? There are translators that will help you. I know that many groups from Greece visit this fascinating place each year. A visit to this monastery and to Jerusalem is something my husband and I want have always wanted to do. We will, if God wants us to.

Hope you make it there. People who have visited have told me that it is an experience they will never forget. Don't forget to take small presents with you both for the monastery and for the very poor people who live in the region. I was told a small bottle of olive oil is suitable for the monastery and tiny packets of lollies or biscuits are always welcome by the Arab children.

The monks give visitors a small packet of a herb from their mountain that is very effective for those who have diabetes.

Effie

#33 Paul Cowan

Paul Cowan

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,064 posts

Posted 16 November 2007 - 08:44 AM

It is 2:45 am and my plane leaves in 13 1/2 hours for Thessaloniki and then on to Mount Athos. I am dead tired, yet can't sleep. I also can't seem to get my suitcase to close. I THINK I have everything I could need while there. The biggest problem I have had and I will try again tonight is to reach the Boat house and the Monasteries I would like to visit. I can't get through. I have contacted The Office and they gave me the same phone numbers I have been trying to use.

What makes it more difficult is for me to reach someone within their window of opportunity, I have to stay up from between 2:00am-6:00am to reach them. Then I still have to go to work the next morning. OK, so I am whining.

Many of you have asked me for prayers or to light candles. I will. Effie has a cousin I will try to visit. Not that I will be able to get back online before I leave to get this answer, but if I only get 4 days and the next boat going TO Daphne is under quota, will they allow me another 4 days?

Pray for me God's will be done while I am there.
THE worst of sinners
Paul

#34 Anna K.

Anna K.

Regular Poster

• Validating
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 16 November 2007 - 09:08 AM

Praying for you Paul, God bless your whole trip and everything that you do and meet there!

In Christ
Anna K

#35 Nina

Nina

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,149 posts

Posted 16 November 2007 - 03:05 PM

Praying for you Paul, God bless your whole trip and everything that you do and meet there!

In Christ
Anna K

Amen! Dear Paul as Anna and many here pray may you have a blessed trip!!! And of course you will have it blessed by Christ because you are honoring His Holy Mother, and by Panagia who is the Protectress of her Holy Garden! We are so proud of you! Thank God for you because you are just 5 years Orthodox and already paying honors to Christ and Panagia with this pilgrimage!

#36 Fr Dcn Gregory Edwards

Fr Dcn Gregory Edwards

Junior Poster

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 11 March 2008 - 08:49 AM

I am fortunate enough to currently live in Thessaloniki. Several of us have put together an informational site for visiting Thessaloniki and the Holy Mountain. I think you will find that it contains some good, practical information: http://thessaloniki.pbwiki.com/Main

#37 Paul Cowan

Paul Cowan

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,064 posts

Posted 12 March 2008 - 12:38 AM

Thanks for the site Fr. Dcn. I wish I had found you before I went. I ended up paying 60 Euros a night at the Hotel Apollo near the airport. I suppose that should have been the giveaway.

Paul

#38 Nina

Nina

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,149 posts

Posted 03 April 2008 - 12:50 AM

Serendipitously I found this picture from Athos.

#39 Reader Nektarios

Reader Nektarios

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted 10 March 2011 - 07:10 AM

I am starting to save money to make a trip to the Holy Mountain, I want to go during the cheapest part of the year. How much money does it take to pilgrimage to the Holy Mountain?

In Christ
Nektarios

#40 Paul Cowan

Paul Cowan

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,064 posts

Posted 11 March 2011 - 04:43 AM

The boat, diamontarion and hotels before and after are the only expenses you will have. There is NO fee for anything once on the Mountain unless you want to buy souvenirs. But it is polite to offer a gift of respect and appreciation anonymously as they will not take it out-right. I put mine in the candle money box. Though you are not required to buy the candles either. Don't be stingy with what gave you. He is giving you His best while you are there.

paul

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users