#1 Niko Barounis

Niko Barounis

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts
  • Orthodox Christian Member

Posted 30 January 2012 - 03:55 PM

Hello, can anyone give me the reason why Monks of Athos fast on Monday wed and fri?

I have been told i fast way too much so i sould like to have certain day to fast, instead of the whole week.

My mother has always fasted wed and fridays. I told her i wasn goint to do mondays also, and she said why.

All i could say was cause thats how they do it on Mt. Athos.

btw: she sasid the reson for wed and fri is cause on wed they caught Jesus and on fri he was crucified or died.

Or if you can point me in the right direction.

thank you

#2 Herman Blaydoe

Herman Blaydoe

• Moderators
  • 4,157 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 04:41 PM

Because of the angels. Monday is typically dedicated to the angels and since monastics stive to follow an angelic life, they fast on that day.

Herman the not a monastic Pooh

#3 Kusanagi

Kusanagi

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 719 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 10:33 PM

Because thats how all monastics fast in honour of the Angels plus monastics are meant to fast more than the Jews, I think it is from the bible.

#4 Niko Barounis

Niko Barounis

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 31 January 2012 - 03:57 AM

That was simple.

Thanks guys.

#5 Effie Ganatsios

Effie Ganatsios

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,725 posts

Posted 31 January 2012 - 08:54 AM

Wednesday we all fast, including monks, because that was the day our Lord was betrayed. And on Friday we fast because that is the day our Lord was crucified.

You might find this helpful : http://orthodoxinfo..../fast_nons.aspx

#6 Rdr Thomas

Rdr Thomas

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 31 January 2012 - 12:50 PM

Niko,

You may also want to review the Didache. This document, dated by some scholars to the end of the first century (meaning it's roughly contemporary with the Apostle John), outlines explicitly that we should fast on Wednesday and Friday. It does not give a reason (e.g. "because Jesus was captured this day" or "Jesus was crucified this day"), but it mentions Wednesday and Friday explicitly.

Here's a link: http://www.earlychri...he-roberts.html

Here's the appropriate text:

Chapter 8. Fasting and Prayer (the Lord's Prayer):
"But let not your fasts be with the hypocrites, for they fast on the second and fifth day of the week. Rather, fast on the fourth day and the Preparation (Friday)."

(In this case, "hypocrites" refers to the Jews. Keep in mind that these early Christians didn't see themselves as a separate group; as far as they knew, they were being good Jews by following the Messiah.)

Pretty clear cut. The Wednesday/Friday teaching was handed down directly from the Apostles themselves. And this teaching was established LONG before monasticism came into being, so it's clear that ALL Christians are expected to keep these fasts. The Latin Church used to keep this fast up until the mid 19th century too. Now the only remnant is "Fish on Fridays".

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users