• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#21 Fr. Ambrose

Fr. Ambrose

Junior Poster

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 11:58 AM

The idea of whistling being something that summons a demons is definitely part of the old Russian religious (and especially monastic) culture. --Fr. Ambrose

#22 Father David Moser

Father David Moser

• Moderators
  • 3,581 posts
  • Orthodox Christian Member
  • Verified Cleric

Posted 20 July 2012 - 03:53 PM

Rather than try on justify a superstition as it is, lets consider the fact that most of these superstitions are based somehow in truth and thereby find the spiritual basis that lies beneath the surface. Whistling, for the most part, is not something that is done as an aid to attentiveness, but is instead a behavior that arises in a distracted state. So when one is whistling, one is not attentive to himself and the mind is idle. This mental state opens one to temptations (particular passionate temptations - ever notice how you are most often tempted to some kind of passionate act, especially those related to the love of pleasure, when you are bored or your mind is wandering). Thus we can learn that it is not whistling itself that attracts demons, but rather the idle and inattentive mind that gives rise to the whistling behavior that opens the door to being tempted by demons. The practice of refraining from whistling itself superimposes a discipline and even a minor level of attentiveness upon the self and thus the suggestion that "whistling calls demons" is an effective spiritual tool.

Fr David

#23 Paul Cowan

Paul Cowan

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,064 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 08:27 PM

Just a question...How many people actually whistle any more? I remember my Paw Paw doing birds calls, but from the occassional showing off of whistling some movie theme song or some rare radio song, I never did. I certainly can't remember anytime in the last several years I have heard anyone whistle. I am thiinking right now of whistling and the urge just ain't there to do it. So, was this wide spread practise? Is it now?

Paul

#24 Antonios

Antonios

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,039 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 08:49 PM

So, was this wide spread practise? Is it now?

Take away the Internet, computers, television, iPods, and stereo equipment and it would become quite popular again!

#25 Paul Cowan

Paul Cowan

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,064 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 09:25 PM

So evil just enters our lives through these "new" various mediums than whistling. Even as a kid, I suppose I was too insulated, but I just don't remember my genreation doing this all that much. My grandfathers generation more so...

#26 Fr Raphael Vereshack

Fr Raphael Vereshack

• Moderators
  • 4,420 posts
  • Verified Monastic Cleric

Posted 21 July 2012 - 12:58 PM

Every time this thread gets a reply the following involuntaily comes to mind:
go to around the 2:30 mark to see what whistling means to Canadians who grew up during a certain era.

#27 Bryan J. Maloney

Bryan J. Maloney

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 364 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 01:47 PM

So evil just enters our lives through these "new" various mediums than whistling. Even as a kid, I suppose I was too insulated, but I just don't remember my genreation doing this all that much. My grandfathers generation more so...

Doesn't that train of thought take us back to the "You must live like the most ascetic of monks at all times." train of thought?

#28 Bryan J. Maloney

Bryan J. Maloney

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 364 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 01:47 PM

The idea of whistling being something that summons a demons is definitely part of the old Russian religious (and especially monastic) culture. --Fr. Ambrose

Could it be a holdover from Russian paganism, in that case?

#29 Rdr Daniel (R.)

Rdr Daniel (R.)

Very Frequent Poster

• Validating
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 704 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 10:37 PM

Just a question...How many people actually whistle any more? I remember my Paw Paw doing birds calls, but from the occassional showing off of whistling some movie theme song or some rare radio song, I never did. I certainly can't remember anytime in the last several years I have heard anyone whistle. I am thiinking right now of whistling and the urge just ain't there to do it. So, was this wide spread practise? Is it now?

Paul

I do sometimes here whistling but very rarely, I can't whistle myself but I do have tendency to hum/sing theme tunes mainly Star Trek, I'm not sure if that is quite the same. Although it is more out of liking the music and thinking of starship designs then being bored or just doing it.

In Christ.
Daniel,

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users