27 replies to this topic

#21 Niko T.

Niko T.

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts

Posted 11 February 2012 - 07:29 PM

(for example of the times in the EST: Orthros 3PM, Paraklesis 11PM, Vespers 1AM, Small Compline 7AM).

Err...I had it backwards...to get the EST in the US, SUBTRACT 7 hours to know when to listen.

For example...

TV4e service schedule in Greece: 8AM Orthros, 4PM Paraklesis to various saints, 6PM Vespers, 11:30PM Small Compline
EST Schedule to listen: 1AM Orthros, 9AM Paraklesis, 11AM Vespers, 4:30PM Small Compline

#22 Michael 'Anthony' Cornett

Michael 'Anthony' Cornett

Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 184 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 07:07 PM

That being said, it would be almost impossible for me to attend services there during the week, due to my business being almost two-hours away from there...

We have some new parishioners from OK who recently made the move out West. Perhaps there is another parish nearby your weekday area of work. The area-based search on this site is wonderful in finding canonical churches: http://www.orthodoxyinamerica.org

#23 Father David Moser

Father David Moser

• Moderators
  • 3,581 posts
  • Orthodox Christian Member
  • Verified Cleric

Posted 15 February 2012 - 08:29 PM

I am currently talking with some folks about making a recording of daily vespers available on their parish website. I'll keep you all posted if anything develops.

Fr David

#24 Brad D.

Brad D.

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 244 posts
  • Guest from Another Religious Tradition

Posted 15 February 2012 - 08:30 PM

I am currently talking with some folks about making a recording of daily vespers available on their parish website. I'll keep you all posted if anything develops.

Fr David

That would be wonderful! Thanks for trying.

#25 Fr Raphael Vereshack

Fr Raphael Vereshack

• Moderators
  • 4,420 posts
  • Verified Monastic Cleric

Posted 25 February 2012 - 04:18 PM

Does anyone have a link to a site that has video of the daily services in the Orthodox Church? I have found some that do a live broadcast of weekend services, but daily services are not available Well, and those are only live broadcasts, not recordings...I really need recorded services due to time-zone differences.

Brad

Very graciously, Mike Stckles has showed me how to record and upload daily lenten weekday services to his site. So far we have the services from this past Cheesfare week up through Vespers last night. The plan is to upload the daily weekday Vespers and perhaps also 6th Hr each day through all of Great Lent except on Wednesdays (or this year sometimes on Thursdays) & Fridays when we have presanctified Liturgy. I also have had some requests do make available the weekday lenten canon. I will also try to upload this but only for the 1st week of Lent.

A note here is that these services are all done in reader's style as would be done without a priest, replacing the litanies with Lord have mercies. Otherwise, over time I may gradually switch to a more monastic style which is what I normally do when I read the services alone.

Please do not hesitate to ask any questions you may have about these services. I may post notes here about them from time to time.

The link to the site http://orthodox.mikestickles.com/

Please bookmark this because I likely will not forward it every day through my personal email.

In Christ
-Fr Raphael

#26 Father David Moser

Father David Moser

• Moderators
  • 3,581 posts
  • Verified Cleric

Posted 25 February 2012 - 06:02 PM

Here is a new resource that was just brought to my attention. It's not really a detailed description of how to work out the combinations for each service of a given day, however, it does give a nice overview of different books used in the services and how they work together.

Fr David

#27 Fr Raphael Vereshack

Fr Raphael Vereshack

• Moderators
  • 4,420 posts
  • Verified Monastic Cleric

Posted 26 February 2012 - 11:10 PM

A few notes to help understand some of the references I make in the online recordings:

'from the octoechos' refers to the liturgical texts related to the Paschal cycle, which moves in a weekly cycle of 8 tones. Presently we are in the week of Tone 4. Sunday texts relate to the resurrection; Monday- angels; Tuesday- St John the Baptist; Wed & Fri- the passion/cross of the Lord; Thurs- apostles, St Nicholas; Sat- Theotokos, all-saints, the departed. Many of these texts also contain themes of repentance.

'from the menaion' refers to the texts of the saint(s) of the day, and which follows the calendar date. So for example for those on the OC tomorrow is Feb 14- Ven Fr Auxentius.

'from the triodion' refers to the texts specific to Great Lent. These appear for every service on a daily basis (eg 'Monday of the 1st Week of Great Lent') and often combine themes of repentance, the fast, and also refer to the octoechos theme of the day.

The link provided by Fr David explains much of this. Except that it is difficult to grasp the balance of themes involved in the daily services until you have participated in them for a number of years.

In Christ-
-Fr Raphael

#28 Anna Stickles

Anna Stickles

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,365 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 06:58 PM

The fact is that many parishes in N America are unable to provide daily services. And in any case laity live far away from their parish or are simply unable to attend on a daily basis. Alternatively laity are usually unable to afford the cost of obtaining all of the liturgical books required for daily services and remain untrained in how to do them. At some point then it would be extremely good if some online source could provide these daily services in a consistent way. These are after all the other 90% of our liturgical inheritance, often much of which we are simply unaware of.

In Christ
-Fr Raphael

If there is continuing interest in providing a daily readers vespers service, and possibly the occasional portions of a festal matins similar to what Fr Raphael did the first week in Lent, Michael and I are more then willing to support this in any way we can. Possibly we could get a rotation of people with the training and proper books who would be willing to record a daily vespers once or twice a week or even biweekly or once monthly -whatever people think they could comfortably commit to.

Both the recording software and the FTP software we have been using can be obtained free as downloads off the internet and are fairly easy to use. Michael can walk people through how to record and upload the audio files using these, and I would be willing to coordinate the schedule so that we can avoid duplication of effort. Also, Michael has offered to improve the usability and look of the web page if there is interest.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users