27 replies to this topic

#21 Fr Raphael Vereshack

Fr Raphael Vereshack

• Moderators
  • 4,420 posts
  • Orthodox Christian Member
  • Verified Monastic Cleric

Posted 08 April 2012 - 12:47 PM

For Holy Week I will, God willing, make recordings of the following services and upload them:
for today: Palm Sunday (April 8) Vespers
Holy Monday (April 9): Bridegroom Matins, 6th Hr, 9th Hr,Vespers
Holy Wednesday (April 11): 6th Hr, 9th Hr,Vespers
Pascha: Paschal Hour

Thanks so much to Mike Stickles who has allowed and enabled me to record these services and make them available to others. Throughout this time there has been interest among the laity of how the weekday lenten services are done, and with allowances for the fact that when on my own I do the services more as reader's services or something done in a monastic kelli, the project has been very successful I think.

The fact is that many parishes in N America are unable to provide daily services. And in any case laity live far away from their parish or are simply unable to attend on a daily basis. Alternatively laity are usually unable to afford the cost of obtaining all of the liturgical books required for daily services and remain untrained in how to do them. At some point then it would be extremely good if some online source could provide these daily services in a consistent way. These are after all the other 90% of our liturgical inheritance, often much of which we are simply unaware of.

In Christ
-Fr Raphael

#22 Mary Lanser

Mary Lanser

Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 203 posts

Posted 08 April 2012 - 04:43 PM

For Holy Week I will, God willing, make recordings of the following services and upload them:

Thanks so much to Mike Stickles who has allowed and enabled me to record these services and make them available to others. Throughout this time there has been interest among the laity of how the weekday lenten services are done, and with allowances for the fact that when on my own I do the services more as reader's services or something done in a monastic kelli, the project has been very successful I think.

The fact is that many parishes in N America are unable to provide daily services. And in any case laity live far away from their parish or are simply unable to attend on a daily basis. Alternatively laity are usually unable to afford the cost of obtaining all of the liturgical books required for daily services and remain untrained in how to do them. At some point then it would be extremely good if some online source could provide these daily services in a consistent way. These are after all the other 90% of our liturgical inheritance, often much of which we are simply unaware of.

In Christ
-Fr Raphael

Dear Father,

You remind me!...Because I have a Pentecostarion already, published by Catholic Basilian sisters, it simply has not been pressing for me to seek out an Orthodox English-translation of the Flowery Triodion. I have the Mother Mary-Bishop Kallistos Triodion and its supplement, so that I can site common texts when necessary, but that was a fluke that I found an affordable set of those and have no others.

Well then, yesterday, for no apparent reason, I went searching to see if there was a Flowery Triodion to be found among the work of Mother Mary and Bishop Kallistos, and it was then that I began to realize that there may not be an Orthodox Pentecostarion/Festal Triodion in English. The Menaion yes, Triodion no. Is that correct?

Mary

#23 Fr Raphael Vereshack

Fr Raphael Vereshack

• Moderators
  • 4,420 posts
  • Verified Monastic Cleric

Posted 08 April 2012 - 06:08 PM

The first Orthodox translation of the Pentecostarion that I am aware of was the Holy Transfiguration 'Brookline' version. It is translated from Greek and set to Byzantine chanting patterns (which can make it awkward to use if you use Russian influenced chanting). I don't know if it's still in print.

The other more recent version is the one put out by out by the St John of Kronstadt Press and translated by Isaac Lambertsen. It is translated from the Slavonic.

In Christ
-Fr Raphael

#24 Mary Lanser

Mary Lanser

Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 203 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 07:27 PM

The first Orthodox translation of the Pentecostarion that I am aware of was the Holy Transfiguration 'Brookline' version. It is translated from Greek and set to Byzantine chanting patterns (which can make it awkward to use if you use Russian influenced chanting). I don't know if it's still in print.

The other more recent version is the one put out by out by the St John of Kronstadt Press and translated by Isaac Lambertsen. It is translated from the Slavonic.

In Christ
-Fr Raphael

Thank you very much, Father. I looked for Brother Isaac's translation and found it. It is too much for my pocket at the moment. It seems strange that I had no recollection of the text. I either had forgotten or never knew it was available. Maybe I put it out of my mind because it was expensive...for me. I do that sometimes with things.

Mary

#25 Anna Stickles

Anna Stickles

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,365 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 03:44 PM

In Christ
-Fr Raphael

For anyone interested, here are the words for the Paschal hours to follow along with.

#26 Rdr Andreas

Rdr Andreas

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,030 posts

Posted 08 March 2014 - 11:48 AM

The complete texts of the Great Canon for the First Week (too late to useful now!) and for the Thursday of the Great Canon with Russian church music adapted to the English texts can be found here (though not in traditional liturgical English):

http://www.mynachdy-sant-elias.org.uk/

On the left side, click 'Lent', scroll down to 'Week 1', and also to 'Week 5'.

I notice that the eirmos for Ode 3 on Monday in the First Week, and Thursday of the Great Canon has 'Upon the unshaken rock of Thy commandments, O Christ, make firm thy Church.' This seems to be the case only in 'The Lenten Triodion' by Mother Mary and  Met Kallistos. Has anyone spotted this, and is there an explanation?

Edited by Andreas Moran, 08 March 2014 - 11:49 AM.

#27 Rdr Andreas

Rdr Andreas

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,030 posts

Posted 10 March 2014 - 01:08 PM

The complications of the Great Canon are that the portions in the first week and not simply 'cut and pasted' sections from the whole Canon as it appears for the Thursday of the Great Canon, and the troparia are not all set out in the same order in the first week sections as they appear in the whole . It looks also as though there are occasional troparia which are not used in the first week sections at all. I wonder if the rather jumbled nature of the whole scheme was deliberate or accidental.

Edited by Andreas Moran, 10 March 2014 - 01:08 PM.

#28 Donna Rail

Donna Rail

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 11 March 2014 - 11:50 PM

I enjoyed the choral videos from earlier in the thread. :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users