5 replies to this topic

#1 Isaac Crabtree

Isaac Crabtree

Retired member, no longer active on forum

• Guests
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 05:14 PM

I'm wondering if the community can help me locate a source and determine whether or not it has been translated into English yet.

My priest, while visiting some place in Russia, came across some Russian literature that described a posthumous appearance of St. Seraphim of Sarov, presumably to his close disciple N.A. Motovilov. In this appearance (some time in the 1860s), St. Seraphim told Motovilov that Lincoln was "an evil man" and that Motovilov should send a particular icon of the Mother of God to President Jefferson Davis in Richmond.

I think my priest's daughter may still actually have that account in Russian, and I may be able to get her to translate it. If I do, I'll try to convince her to let me post it on here. In the meantime, if anyone has heard of this I would appreciate any leads.

#2 Fabio Lins

Fabio Lins

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 139 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 05:49 PM

I found this, and although Vladimir Moss is not a very good source, he is quoting probably from the book you refer to>

On the day following the assassination (of Lincoln), April 15, Nicholas Motivolov wrote to Tsar Alexander II informing him that he had received the following revelation from St. Seraphim of Sarov on April 1 about the death of Abraham Lincoln:

“The Lord and the Mother of God not only do not like the terrible oppression, destruction and unrighteous humiliation that is being wrought everywhere with us in Russia by the Decembrists and raging abolitionists : the goodness of God is also thoroughly displeased by the offences caused by Lincoln and the North Americans to the slave-owners of the Southern States, and so Batiushka Father Seraphim has ordered that the image of the Mother of God the Joy of all who Sorrow should be sent to the President of the Southern – that is, precisely the slave-owning States. And he has ordered that the inscription be attached to it : TO THE COMPLETE DESTRUCTION OF LINCOLN… ”[17]

Vladimir Moss.

January 1/14, 2012.

Sergius and Tamara Fomin, Rossia pered Vtorym Prishestviem (Russia before the Second Coming), Moscow: Rodnik, 1994, vol. I, p. 343.
http://www.orthodoxc...ican-civil-war/

#3 Rdr Andreas

Rdr Andreas

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,032 posts
  • Orthodox Christian Member

Posted 14 February 2012 - 06:53 PM

And there's this:

http://orthodoxengla...df/tragedyw.pdf

#4 Isaac Crabtree

Isaac Crabtree

Retired member, no longer active on forum

• Guests
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 07:11 PM

Thank you Andreas. I love Fr. Andrew Phillips!

#5 Father David Moser

Father David Moser

• Moderators
  • 3,581 posts
  • Verified Cleric

Posted 14 February 2012 - 08:50 PM

What I would like to see is some kind of verification that this appearance and prophecy was not actually an invention of anti-American origin. Somehow these harsh and judgmental words do not fit with the rest of the picture of St Seraphim. I would like to know if indeed N.A. Motovilov received this message in a vision and delivered it to the Tsar. I would like to know how the Tsar regarded this message and whether or not he considered it to be reliable. I would like to know if this prophecy was evaluated by the Church and what the spiritual fathers of the time thought of its veracity. Was Motovilov deceived? Are these the genuine words of St Seraphim? There are just too many questions here to take this at face value.

Also, I like and respect Fr Andrew, however, I think that here he goes a little far afield in his evaluation of history. Certainly I am not one to say that the US is God's gift to the world (in fact quite the opposite), however, I don't think that we are quite the monster that Fr Andrew paints us to be.

Fr David Moser

#6 Fr Raphael Vereshack

Fr Raphael Vereshack

• Moderators
  • 4,420 posts
  • Verified Monastic Cleric

Posted 14 February 2012 - 09:21 PM

I did a Google search in Russian on this quote and the book it comes from. Apparently it was published by St Sergius Holy Trinity Monastery. But when you read further it's just a collection of 'prophesies' out there in the public domain few of which likely can be verified. The more you look into it the more you keep going around in circles.

In Christ
-Fr Raphael

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users