Photo
* - - - - 1 votes

Praying the Rosary: attributed to St Seraphim?

• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

#41 Fr Raphael Vereshack

Fr Raphael Vereshack

• Moderators
  • 4,420 posts
  • Orthodox Christian Member
  • Verified Monastic Cleric

Posted 10 March 2012 - 08:56 PM

I also would agree with Fr David. At least when these books came out and in the years following I never heard any criticism of these. This is so especially for the work of S Nilus on the relationship of Motovilov with St Seraphim and their conversation. Most all of that generation grew up with such books and were formed by them, were surrounded by them on our bookshelves (the number of books in English in those days was very small compared to nowadays); and were hearing them referred to continually. The only questions I ever heard raised were about the apocalyptic works of S A Nlus but since this has never been translated into English these had no influence here and there has been no way to verify or discredit them.

In Christ
-Fr Raphael

#42 Mary Lanser

Mary Lanser

Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 203 posts

Posted 11 March 2012 - 02:31 AM

Dear Frs. Raphael and David,

I've taken this far afield from the original question, but I am not entirely sorry for that because the situation to which I must refer without direct reference was a bit disturbing to me for a couple of reasons. Father David hit upon one of them in his last paragraph. I think that may be a large part of what I experienced. However there remains now, in my mind, questions that were raised about the foundational manuscript that was transcribed by Nilus that became the source for the Helen Kontzevitch book...if I have that part correct. But I think that we can allow that to rest for another time and place.

I have a particular fondness for St. Seraphim. His icon graces a place in my kitchen and he is there to help me from unseemly responses to frustration or pain. I live alone and keep an active prayer life and for that I am beset by the usual interior darkness that comes to those who try to live a life in Christ while in solitude. I have asked St. Seraphim to assist me in calming those very negative interior thoughts and sometimes verbally explosive exasperation. It seems to happen most often in the kitchen. At any rate the idea that there was something strange about his story or the passing on of his story was very disturbing.

Thanks so much for your candid and gentle responses.

Mary

#43 Adrian

Adrian

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 87 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 06:09 AM

In Romania we have a sentence "running like the sick angel from incense". Speaking of bad thoughts, I have a cup for incense and while I have incense in the special cup I bought from Church, while smoke exits, if I put the cup on my head suddenly my bad thoughts dissapear. It is something undescribeable to have mind changed in seconds, cleaned.
We prepare ourself to be in company of angels and one thing that probably will happen in after life, in Heaven, the thoughts will become visible to everyone. So bad thoughts, bad thinking and speaking can be some trouble so we should try to improve our thoughts. THe thoughts that come to us , are not under our control and they are not sin in my understanding. Anyhow it may be good to try to think only about the good deeds of others.

#44 Mary Lanser

Mary Lanser

Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 203 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 07:47 PM

In Romania we have a sentence "running like the sick angel from incense". Speaking of bad thoughts, I have a cup for incense and while I have incense in the special cup I bought from Church, while smoke exits, if I put the cup on my head suddenly my bad thoughts dissapear. It is something undescribeable to have mind changed in seconds, cleaned.
We prepare ourself to be in company of angels and one thing that probably will happen in after life, in Heaven, the thoughts will become visible to everyone. So bad thoughts, bad thinking and speaking can be some trouble so we should try to improve our thoughts. THe thoughts that come to us , are not under our control and they are not sin in my understanding. Anyhow it may be good to try to think only about the good deeds of others.

Dear Adrian,

My brother, father, grandfather and a grandson are all named Adrian <smile>...It is a very good and beautiful name!

I am so happy to hear this comment from you. Sometimes people will ask me how I can "pretend" to live as a hermit but continue to interact with people on-line. I think it is the kind of interaction that is important and your note is one of the primary reasons that I come looking and hoping for people who have similar experiences and who understand what I say without my having to explain too much.

Like you I believe that these negative or foul thoughts, and sometimes words, are not generated in my heart but added in by most unwelcome spirits. They come to me totally unbidden and unwelcome. And sometimes they leave a smear on my heart and in my mind that can sometimes be very difficult to cleanse without the aid of some sacred person or sacred artifact, such as holy water or incense. The residue from these episodes of negative thoughts unbidden often results in terrible feelings of guilt that are further temptations in their own right, even though I know inherently that I am not responsible for the initial experiences...This pattern of negative thoughts and guilt can create a soul-twisting cycle of negative thinking.

That is why, it seems to me, that doxology is so vital in liturgical prayer, because it is only in the outpouring of genuine love for the Father, Son and Holy Spirit that we are truly healed. I am too often unable to go to liturgy, even though I keep the holy hours at home, and I know that this particular trial of negative thoughts is the result of that lack of public liturgical prayer. I know I have experienced it even when able to attend divine liturgy regularly, but the incidences of it increase in proportion to my isolation! Keep me in your prayers please.

In the heart of a most sacred Lent,

Mary

#45 Hieromonk Ambrose

Hieromonk Ambrose

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 292 posts
  • Orthodox Christian Member
  • Verified Monastic Cleric

Posted 11 October 2013 - 11:33 PM

Page 213 of "Orthodoxy a Complete Encyclopaedia" 2003, Moscow.

"In accordance with the revelation of the Mother of God, the fulfilment of this Rule of prayer [the rosary of Saint Seraphim] is more important than the reading of akathists etc. and who fulfils this rule lives under the special protection of the Queen of Heaven."

Is there information on this revelation?  Where, when and to whom did the Mother of God appear?

It surprises me that the editors of the Encyclopaedia have allowed such a dubious thing to slip in.

If She had appeared with this revelation the entire Orthodox world would have rushed to obey her.... Greeks, Russians, Arabs, Alaskans. Instead, the Orthodox world is ignorant of it and Akathists to the Mother of God resound in thousands of churches and homes every day. .

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users