Photo
- - - - -

Holy Trinity (Jordanville) or St. Tikhon's for monastery visit?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 kshaft

kshaft

Junior Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 07:08 AM

Just lookin for some advice here.

Both of these monasteries are around 8 hours from me. Now in a perfect world I would probably go to Holy Trinity because it seems to be a more complete monastery, and I would guess it has the best liturgies and choirs and a true Orthodox (redundant?) spirituality.

The problem is simply the language barrier. Everything in Slavonic might be a bit much for me. I mean its one thing to do it for a vigil and DL (which I have done @ a ROCOR parish a few times) but for ALL the services EVERYDAY Im thinking it might be a bit much.

Anyhow, if the spirituality and liturgies are pretty much on par at St. Tikons, I would be more inclined to visit there. Id love to hear from anyone who has experience with both monasteries.

Thank you.

#2 Fr Raphael Vereshack

Fr Raphael Vereshack

• Moderators
  • 4,420 posts
  • Orthodox Christian Member
  • Verified Monastic Cleric

Posted 22 February 2012 - 02:21 PM

I have experience of both but which by this time might be a bit dated. I was after all a graduate of St Tikhon's in 1991 but only visited there a few times after. And I haven't visited Jordanville in 10 years or so.

In any case my advice could apply to any situation. It's always best to visit both places and experience this for yourself. This is because people resonate with different monasteries & parishes so differently on the personal level. And this can go beyond any rational explanation so that when you actually attend a service, the language may end up being no problem at all or it may indeed be an issue. I don't think you can know this for sure beforehand.

In Christ
-Fr Raphael

#3 David James

David James

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 91 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 03:59 PM

Just lookin for some advice here.

Both of these monasteries are around 8 hours from me. Now in a perfect world I would probably go to Holy Trinity because it seems to be a more complete monastery, and I would guess it has the best liturgies and choirs and a true Orthodox (redundant?) spirituality.

The problem is simply the language barrier. Everything in Slavonic might be a bit much for me. I mean its one thing to do it for a vigil and DL (which I have done @ a ROCOR parish a few times) but for ALL the services EVERYDAY Im thinking it might be a bit much.

Anyhow, if the spirituality and liturgies are pretty much on par at St. Tikons, I would be more inclined to visit there. Id love to hear from anyone who has experience with both monasteries.

Thank you.

There is also the Hermitage of the Holy Cross in West Virginia. It is a dependency of Jordanville, but all the services are in English.

#4 Caleb Shoemaker

Caleb Shoemaker

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 05:46 PM

I haven't visited Jordanville, yet; but my family and I stopped at St. Tikhon's last summer on our way south. It's a beautiful location, amazing iconography, a lovely reliquary, and a museum of American Orthodoxy that was just breathtaking. Their bookshop is also very nice. Abbot Sergius answers his own phone, and he set up a private tour of the museum. Love it there.

#5 Deacon John Martin

Deacon John Martin

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 123 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 11:46 PM

I’m a seminarian at Jordanville, so of course I will be biased.

As an English-speaking seminarian who doesn’t understand Slavonic all that much, I still feel at home at the services here, which are served thoroughly and very devoutly. As long as you’re familiar with the structure of the service and have a text with you, it’ll be fine. We have many English-speaking monks and seminarians to help you and give you tours, as well as tell you about the colorful lore of the monastery. It’s certainly the most interesting place I’ve ever lived. But don’t take my word for it!

—John

#6 Alice

Alice

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 673 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 04:03 PM

I’m a seminarian at Jordanville, so of course I will be biased.

As an English-speaking seminarian who doesn’t understand Slavonic all that much, I still feel at home at the services here, which are served thoroughly and very devoutly. As long as you’re familiar with the structure of the service and have a text with you, it’ll be fine. We have many English-speaking monks and seminarians to help you and give you tours, as well as tell you about the colorful lore of the monastery. It’s certainly the most interesting place I’ve ever lived. But don’t take my word for it!

—John

Is it okay for women to visit? Should one call ahead of a visit? Who should we call?

What is traditional to do/bring to a Russian Monastery when visiting? Should one bring food, or give a cash donation, for instance....

Also, are visitors invited to stay at Trapeza for lunch? (this is a pertinent question, because one never knows--at St. Nektarios/Roscoe, NY, for instance, one is always invited to eat at Trapeza, but at Aghia Skepe, PA, one is not--unless it is a weekend, and the nuns will bring food to the guest house, but then again you are not 'formally invited') The reason I ask this, is not because I am a glutton (hehehe) but because after a long journey, it is good to prepare oneself (should I pack my own lunch, should I stop on the road (yuck), etc.)

#7 Mother Sophronia

Mother Sophronia

Junior Poster

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 11:00 PM

Visitors are welcome at the Trapeza in the monastery. There is a trapeza for women guests next to the men's trapeza. www.jordanville.org/
Women are also welcome to visit here at the Skete of St. Elizabeth the New Martyr. http://saintelizabethskete.org/.

I am another biased resident of Jordanville (at the skete) -Mother Sophronia

#8 Alice

Alice

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 673 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 02:36 PM

Dear Mother Sophronia,

Evloyeite! Thank you for letting us know about the Skete of St. Elizabeth the New Martyr, a most inspiritational and beloved saint of God of modern times. :=)

I hope that we will be able to visit both monasteries one of these days.

In Christ our Lord,
Alice

#9 Michael Albert

Michael Albert

Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 241 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 07:16 PM

I have visited Jordanville a few times and Holy Cross Hermitage in WV once.....both amazing experiences. The language barrier was not an issue for me at Jordanville (I love Church Salvonic).

I have not visited St Tikhon....yet.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users