4 replies to this topic

#1 David Hawthorne

David Hawthorne

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 130 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 06:42 PM

I know someone who, until recently, was Orthodox, but has now returned to Reformed Christianity.

He actively agitates for this heresy and sometimes posts against Orthodoxy.

What is my best Orthodox response to such a person? Do I "answer a fool according to his folly" or "not answer a fool according to his folly" as Proverbs 26 instructs?

#2 Herman Blaydoe

Herman Blaydoe

• Moderators
  • 4,157 posts
  • Orthodox Christian Member

Posted 29 February 2012 - 06:47 PM

If he posts something about Orthodoxy that is incorrect then post a correction, if you feel up to it. Otherwise let the heathen rage ...

#3 David Hawthorne

David Hawthorne

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 130 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 06:52 PM

I like that response and think I should do so at least for the benefit of others when he posts (since I think he himself is no longer listening) but often feel as if I have just entered a hamster wheel bacause his collegues respond while my fellow Orthodox remain silent. Perhaps I should respond as a podvig anyway... not sure what the Fathers would suggest: shake the dust off my sandals or stand up for the sheep.

#4 Father David Moser

Father David Moser

• Moderators
  • 3,581 posts
  • Orthodox Christian Member
  • Verified Cleric

Posted 29 February 2012 - 07:04 PM

I like that response and think I should do so at least for the benefit of others when he posts

If you respond, don't address his challenges, but simply state that "this is what the Orthodox Church teaches/does" without trying to convince, persuade or justify. Let the truth stand for itself.

Fr David

#5 David Hawthorne

David Hawthorne

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 130 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 07:16 PM

I like that too Father, but I still get exasperated when they trot the occasional SAYING of the Fathers while ignoring his TEACHING and LIFE EXPERIENCE.... reminds me of the words of First John 2:19 "They went out from us, but they were not of us; for if they had been of us, they would no doubt have continued with us: but they went out, that they might be made manifest that they were not all of us."

Honestly, it is frustrating to see former Orthodox debunk teachings of Orthodoxy which really aren't our teachings. Where was his heart the whole time he was Orthodox? How did he ever come to believe that what he debunks was ever taught by us?

It breaks my heart to see a former brother shipwreck his faith like Hymenaeus and Alexander to follow 16th century Northern Europeans over the early Fathers. He really is too smart for that, if only his heart would let go of the errors of our later ancestors.

Edited by Olga, 29 February 2012 - 09:44 PM.
corrected formatting

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users