4 replies to this topic

#1 Stephen Hayes

Stephen Hayes

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 07:56 AM

The Monastery of the Descent of the Holy Spirit near Pretoria has had its ups and downs since it was founded just over ten years ago. Hieromonk Seraphim has the pastoral care of the parish of Klerksdorp, and so is not in full-time residence. A young man, Justin, who is testing his monastic calling, is in France studying ikonography. Another young man, Nikhon, stays at the monastery and looks after the church, and leads prayers if there is no priest, but does not think he is called to a celibate life.

There are some pictures here:

http://khanya.wordpr...ery-garden-4-2/
and here
http://khanya.wordpr...monastic-sites/
and here
http://khanya.wordpr...monastic-sites/

I ask your prayers for the monastic life to take root in South Africa, and indeed in southern Africa generally.

Please pray for those, like Fr Seraphim and Justin, who are called to the monastic life, and for others to join them and strengthen them.

#2 Rdr Andreas

Rdr Andreas

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,032 posts
  • Orthodox Christian Member

Posted 06 March 2012 - 09:53 AM

I would like to ask under which jurisdiction the monastery is and so who is the ruling bishop who would have primary responsibility. A notice in one of the photos says, 'African Orthodox Church' which I do not know.

#3 Stephen Hayes

Stephen Hayes

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 10 March 2012 - 08:03 AM

I would like to ask under which jurisdiction the monastery is and so who is the ruling bishop who would have primary responsibility. A notice in one of the photos says, 'African Orthodox Church' which I do not know.

The monastery is under the jurisdiction of His Beatitude Theodoros, most divine and most holy, our father and shephers, Pope and Patriarch of the great city of Alexandria, of Libya, Pentapolis and Ethiopia, of all the land of Egypt and all Africa, father of fathers, shepherd of shepherds, bishop of bishops, thirteenth in line of the apostles and judge of the universe.

And the bishop is the most reverend and God-directed Damaskinos, Metropolitan of the most holy diocese of Johannesburg and Pretoria, most-honoured exarch of all South Africa, our father and shepherd.

#4 Fr Raphael Vereshack

Fr Raphael Vereshack

• Moderators
  • 4,420 posts
  • Verified Monastic Cleric

Posted 10 March 2012 - 03:16 PM

It`s a small world!
I just noticed this on one of the linked websites:

They first visited the Monastery of the Descent of the Holy Spirit, which was founded by Hieromonk Nazarius (Pribojan).

Fr Nazarius served at our parish in Canada for a number of years in the 1980s I think. He painted a range of festal icons which now are set in a row above the main iconostas.
At the time he was with the Free Serbs and we were still in contact with him when he went to South Africa. I think at the time he was with Metropolitan Kyprianos.

In Christ
-Fr Raphael

#5 Fr Raphael Vereshack

Fr Raphael Vereshack

• Moderators
  • 4,420 posts
  • Verified Monastic Cleric

Posted 10 March 2012 - 03:23 PM

I noticed in the comments section of the site, after I posted the above, that Fr Nazarius was formerly called Fr Nikodim. Indeed- this was his name when he served here.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users