Photo
- - - - -

Do different faiths worship different gods?

• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#41 Rdr Daniel (R.)

Rdr Daniel (R.)

Very Frequent Poster

• Validating
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 704 posts
  • Orthodox Christian Member

Posted 02 April 2012 - 11:43 AM

Sorry, that makes no sense to me at all. Jews deny the Holy Trinity just as much as Muslims do.

If failing to perceive God as Trinity means that one is worshipping a different god, then the gods of the Jews and of the Muslims both differ from the God iof Christians, through they resemble each other more closely than either of them resembles the God of the Christians.

And perhaps there is a fourth god, the god of the Jehovah's Witnesses.

I am not aproaching this from the angle of whether a group worships God rightly that they believe and worship the Holy Trinity, after all the Arians did not and yet the fathers did not say they worshipped another God. I am aproaching this from a historical angle and also in what sense God was revealed to each group.

But when you say that one non-trinitarian god is the same as the Trinitarian God, whereas the other non-trinitarian god differs from the first non-trinitarian god and from the Trinitarian God, then you've lost me completely.

God revealed Himself of old to Abraham and was believed by him and his son Issac and grandson Jacob/Israel and Jacob's children the 12 patriarchs, from whom Moses was born, to whom God again revealed Himself and gave the Law.

And we see God in is love for man first manifesting Himself and being worshipped by the people of Israel, then in the due season He Himself God the Word become man and dwelt amongst us, and the Apostles beheld His Glory the One full of Grace and Truth, the Only Begotten of the Father. Where as old God was made know in part by the prophets now the fullness of the Godhead dwelt in bodily form. This is the God we worship the One God, the God of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob.

The Jews that did not believe and rejected Him and were rejected by Him for when the Christ came the Old past away but they saying we prefer the old wine and did not dance to the song of the New Testament, as it is written "We piped to you and ye danced not; we wailed and ye wept not", they did not worship God in spirit and truth. And yet that does not mean they do not still worship the God they always worshipped even if they do not truly worship Him nor one could say is there worship accepted by Him.

The followers of Mohamed on the other hand were heathen, not Jews, and to whom God did not reveal Himself, for there forefathers did not accept the preaching of the Apostles. Now to this man Mohamed (if he were not mad and hallucinating) a daemon appeared claiming to be an angel and giving him commandments from God clearly not of God but of the deceiver.
To me this is greatly other from the case of the Jews or the heretics.

I believe in ONE God the Father Almighty, not three almighty fathers, and not two almighty fathers, one of whom is both a trinity and a non-trinity. I do not understand your belief at all -- perhaps you should discuss it with your spiriual father, because it doesn't sound Orthodox to me.

I am sorry you feel I am saying there is more than One God I am in no way saying that what I am saying is there is One God alone whom we worship and the Jews worship but not rightly not in a Orthodox manner, that is He is the Holy Trinity but they do not know that/reject that. But the Mohammedans do not worship Him but rather the revelation to Mohamed by the daemon the same as the Sikhs or any other false religion do not worship God does not imply there is more than One God to worship.

I feel Father Deacon you should try to understand what people are saying rather than accusing them of saying what they did not say of not being Orthodox in their Theology.

Please could you quote me on anything where you feel I said there is more than One God. Beacuse to my knowledge I have stressed again and again there is but One God.

I am sorry for my part if you find my words confusing, and forgive me if this part of my post seems sharp in anyway but I am upset by your accusations and the manner in which you wrote the last paragraph of your post.

In Christ.
Daniel,

#42 Stephen Hayes

Stephen Hayes

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 09:56 AM

I feel Father Deacon you should try to understand what people are saying rather than accusing them of saying what they did not say of not being Orthodox in their Theology.

I am sorry if it sounded as though I was accusing you of something. I said that I do not understand what you are saying, and your most recent post I find more confusing than all the preceding ones. WHAT you are saying SOUNDS like heresy to me. I am not accusing you of being a heretic. I am saying that there is a gap, and apparently an irreconcilable one, between what your words mean to you and what they mean to me. I have never met you, and am no position to judge your spiritual state. That is something between you and your spiritual father. If your spiritual father, who knows you, understands what you are saying, and thinks it's not heretical, that's fine by me. But to me it sounds heretical, and I can't accept it. I may have misunderstood it, but it is clear that discussing it further is not going to increase understanding.

#43 Rdr Daniel (R.)

Rdr Daniel (R.)

Very Frequent Poster

• Validating
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 704 posts
  • Orthodox Christian Member

Posted 03 April 2012 - 10:53 AM

Dear Father Deacon Stephen Hayes,

I am sorry if what I am saying sound like heresy, as you say it seems as though it is not going to get any clearer by discussing it further. But rest assured although what I am saying may sound like that to you, I am not saying there is more than one God.

"I believe in One God, the Father Almighty... And in One Lord Jesus Christ the only Son of God, the Only Begotten, begotten of the Father before all ages... and in the Holy Spirit the Lord and Giver of Life who proceeds from the Father...."

In Christ.
Daniel,

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users