79 replies to this topic

#1 Edward Henderson

Edward Henderson

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 114 posts

Posted 09 October 2005 - 04:17 AM

Many of you know Father Raphael as he is contributes quite a bit to the discussions here. He has been in Russia for a week now with some other ROCOR pilgrims. I met up with him yesterday. He is having an amazing time. They went to Optina Monastery on Thursday/Friday. Yesterday, I met him and we visited some Churches in Moscow, most notably Sretensky Monastery where the relics of Saint Hilarion (Troitsky) the New Martyr lie. Bishop Gabriel of Manhattan has also recently been and was profoundly impressed, which may have changed his position on MP/ROCOR relations. So, the group will be here another week, so I am sure Father Raphael will start posting again in about 9-10 days. Keep praying for him!

Edward

#2 Byron Jack Gaist

Byron Jack Gaist

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 615 posts

Posted 10 October 2005 - 06:40 AM

Thank you Edward for letting us know what is going on and of Fr Raphael's visit to Russia. I'm glad that these visits are going well.

In Christ
Byron

#3 Theopesta

Theopesta

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 411 posts

Posted 19 October 2005 - 12:00 AM

our rev. father Raphael:
welcome back we missed your serene and spritual presence
pray for me
theopesta

#4 Byron Jack Gaist

Byron Jack Gaist

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 615 posts

Posted 19 October 2005 - 05:33 AM

Dear Fr Raphael,

My feelings are similar to Theopesta's. Glad you are back safely to participate again in the forum!

In Christ
Byron

#5 Fr Raphael Vereshack

Fr Raphael Vereshack

• Moderators
  • 4,420 posts
  • Orthodox Christian Member
  • Verified Monastic Cleric

Posted 19 October 2005 - 11:48 AM

Thanks to all for their kind sentiments about my return and also prayers while in Russia.
As Edward indicated I really did have an amazing time while on pilgrimage in Russia. To a great extent this was due to the incredible preparations made by Fr Victor Potapov and also all of the personal contacts he has made in Russia over the years (even before the collapse of communism he was well known in Russia due to his religious broadcasts there via VOA). We were able to visit not only the well known places such as Optina and Sergiev Posad but also holy places well off the beaten track that possibly even many Russians do not know about. We did not simply 'visit' the holy places- the pilgrimage was designed in such a way that we were able to remain in each place for half a day or so and soak in the holiness of each place before moving on. This led to the pilgrimage being a truly ascetic experience where by the end of each day (and often well before!) we were exhausted but felt spiritually full like sponges that had soaked in as much water as possible.
Besides the religious angle we were also exposed to the social/cultural side of Russian life which helped round off the overall significance of what we encountered. All of us in the group (about 34 or so) strongly agreed that this pilgrimage was truly extraordinary. Due to the holiness of the places we visited & the kindness shown us while in Russia all of us in the group will likely be marked by what we encountered for a long time to come.
In Christ- Fr Raphael

#6 Guest_Rose

Guest_Rose
  • Guests

Posted 26 October 2004 - 03:42 PM

I've been wondering about Father Averky lately - don't know why. Has anyone else given him any thought lately?

#7 M. Rallis

M. Rallis

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 26 October 2004 - 08:15 PM

The latest edition of the magazine "Orthodox Life", which is published by the Holy Trinity Monastery in Jordanville, NY, had a short history of his life as one of the articles.

#8 Guest_Trudy Ellmore

Guest_Trudy Ellmore
  • Guests

Posted 28 October 2004 - 02:21 PM

I think of Fr. Averky quite often. I miss him quite a bit. I also "talk" to him occassionally.

#9 Guest_Photini

Guest_Photini
  • Guests

Posted 28 October 2004 - 10:48 PM

I miss Father everyday. It is only just recently that I was able to delete his name from my e-mail address book.

#10 Guest_Charalambos Andrew Geo

Guest_Charalambos Andrew Geo
  • Guests

Posted 28 October 2004 - 11:12 PM

We can ask God to grant rest to His soul and also ask, Lord if he has found favour with You, through his prayers have mercy on us.

I was told this is safer when I asked about praying to Fr Sophroni in Essex Monastery in England.

I fell many will remember him for their whole life, Photini, at least He will always be on your other address book that is beyond time, it's also much faster and the most effective at getting the message across, when is the next memorial? the 6 month one.

with Love in Christ
Charalambos

#11 Guest_Photini

Guest_Photini
  • Guests

Posted 28 October 2004 - 11:23 PM

Thank you Charalambos. Posted Image

I am actually hoping to travel to New York for his one year memorial next year. If any of you out there reading this will be willing to help me find a place to stay while I'm there, I would be very grateful.

#12 Fr Raphael Vereshack

Fr Raphael Vereshack

• Moderators
  • 4,420 posts

Posted 28 October 2004 - 11:37 PM

Fr Averky reposed on June 11. So 6 months would be December 11.
In Christ- Fr Raphael

#13 Moses Anthony

Moses Anthony

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 410 posts

Posted 28 October 2004 - 11:41 PM

Before the repose of Fr. Averky I printed some of his posts to Monachos, to read for edification at a later date.

#14 Fr Raphael Vereshack

Fr Raphael Vereshack

• Moderators
  • 4,420 posts

Posted 28 October 2004 - 11:46 PM

On the question of remembering Fr Averky. Put his name in your commemorative books (pomyianik) if you are of the Russian tradition. If Byzantine ask the priest if his name could be mentioned at the Proskomedia. As Fr Averky would likely have pointed out at about this point in the conversation, praying for the departed at Liturgy is the greatest prayer we can offer since the whole Church prays for the person remembered. And after the Communion of the Faithful the priest puts the particles of bread representing the names he read at Proskomedia, into the Holy Chalice which contains the Body & Blood of Christ. In this way the departed have Communion along with the living who are present at the Liturgy.

In Christ- Fr Raphael

#15 Nancy Forderhase

Nancy Forderhase

Junior Poster

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 29 October 2004 - 12:26 AM

> Can anyone give me information about how to acquire some of Fr. > Averky's posts from Monachos? I was at Jordanville recently and > visited his grave. I would like to write a story about him for our > Church's newsletter. I never met him, but I have a deep love for him > based on his posts to this discussion group. He was sometimes stern > and passionate in his responses to contributers, loving toward > newcomers, and although I never contributed a word to the discussion > group, that was unnecessary because I learned from him and others in > this discussion forum. I treasure his wisdom.

#16 Irene

Irene

Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 259 posts
  • Guest from Another Religious Tradition

Posted 29 October 2004 - 04:32 AM

Dear Nancy, Go to the search at the top of this page, when the search page comes up put Father Averky's name or some that he has used in search for author - where it says "look in" it says authors name.

He has used Heiromonk Averky, Father A, Father Averky - I think, as I remember anyway. Father used the Father A in his latest posts.

I have used this search many times after Father pointed out to me questions I had asked had come up many times in the past.

Father would be happy if his posts continue to help people. He gave people including myself blessing to quote him to others if it could be of any help to them spiritually.

irene

#17 Guest_Eva K

Guest_Eva K
  • Guests

Posted 20 January 2005 - 09:45 AM

I would like to ask, whether the bunch of basil, (which is used at the Liturgy of Epiphany) is in connection with St Basil or it is just a coincide.
Where can I find information about it?

#18 Guest_nurse-aid

Guest_nurse-aid
  • Guests

Posted 20 January 2005 - 01:44 PM

Just yerstarday bought a bunch...Didn't even think that this is on time...Love smeell of it...just love it...Alawys use it in food, in salad...Sorry, not the right forum to talk aboutPosted Image

#19 Guest_Eva K

Guest_Eva K
  • Guests

Posted 22 January 2005 - 07:32 PM

Where should I ask questions like this, then? (I'm quite new here.)

#20 Irene

Irene

Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 259 posts
  • Guest from Another Religious Tradition

Posted 23 January 2005 - 09:31 AM

Dear Eva,

I think nurse-aid meant that they felt they shouldn't be talking about food etc. You are fine with your question here in the casual conversation part.

I saw your question but didn't even know about the basil so thought someone else would answer. I did a internet search but didn't come up with any answers for you either, sorry.

Irene

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users