Introductions from 2005

new members

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
79 replies to this topic

#21 Guest_Myles Alexander Bailey

Guest_Myles Alexander Bailey
  • Guests

Posted 14 August 2005 - 11:30 AM

Hey ya everyone. Just wanted to say Hi. I'm a Roman Catholic but since Proffessor Steenberg is going to be my tutor for my Byzantine Church paper next term at University I figured I'd sign up to his site. Maybe I'll learn a little on the side here that'll help me get a rolling start so to speak. Posted Image

God love you
Myles

#22 Irene

Irene

Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 259 posts
  • Guest from Another Religious Tradition

Posted 14 August 2005 - 11:59 AM

Hello Myles,

Welcome, I'm sure you'll find lots of interesting info here

IrenePosted Image

#23 Guest_Alexis OCA

Guest_Alexis OCA
  • Guests

Posted 01 May 2005 - 06:07 PM

Dear Friends,

Just wanted to let you know the 'seeking' is over! After 44 years as a Roman Catholic I was chrismated into the Orthodox Church on Lazarus Saturday (April 23rd). I am humbled, yet very proud to share this wonderful faith you all. It was the faith of my dearly departed maternal great-grandparents and grandmother. I cetainly feel that I am home.

A Blessed Pascha to you all.
Christ is Risen!

#24 Irene

Irene

Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 259 posts
  • Guest from Another Religious Tradition

Posted 02 May 2005 - 03:00 AM

Congratulations Alexis!

Truly He Has Risen
Irene

#25 Byron Jack Gaist

Byron Jack Gaist

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 615 posts

Posted 02 May 2005 - 08:20 AM

Christ is Risen!

Congratulations Alexis, and welcome home this Easter!

ICXC
Byron

#26 Guest_Basil Shannon

Guest_Basil Shannon
  • Guests

Posted 03 May 2005 - 02:15 PM

Christ is Risen!

Many years to you, Alexis.

Basil

#27 Kosmas Damianides

Kosmas Damianides

Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 201 posts
  • Orthodox Christian Member

Posted 01 July 2005 - 01:46 PM

Hi

I was just wondering if anyone here knows Archmandrite Nektarios Serfes. http://www.serfes.org/about.htm

He recently wrote an article about an amazing miracle in Syria http://www.pigizois....ika/agglika.htm

I was asked by a friend to find out how reliable a source he is. I've read his Autobiography on the internet. I was surprised to find out he was a priestmonk who studied at Holy Cross Seminary and finished at St Tikhos Seminary but most striking was that he had his own personal website. http://www.serfes.org/

Personally I believe the miracle. If anyone knows any more about this miracle plese tell me. Thank you.

In Peace,

Kosmas

#28 Olga

Olga

• Moderators
  • 2,821 posts

Posted 04 July 2005 - 04:07 AM

Only the other day one of my mother's friends told me about this incident - wonder if it was published in mainstream news outlets.

#29 Guest_Clement Alexander

Guest_Clement Alexander
  • Guests

Posted 04 July 2005 - 08:33 AM

This story is true and was reported in the region up to the point where the beheaded body was discovered by police the rest however was not reported. it will be helpful to verify if the rest is a fabrication. If not then it is really amazing.

#30 Guest_David Perry

Guest_David Perry
  • Guests

Posted 12 October 2004 - 04:43 AM

Hi everybody,

My name's David, I've been lurking on this board for a few weeks. I'm an Episcoplaian w/ strong interest in Eastern Orthodox liturgy and theology. I'm considering conversion, but am still exploring. I have been visiting a local OCA parish on a regular basis for a few weeks, attending vespers and matins as well as Divine Litrugy. My yahoo ID is juliancrucifer, if you hav eyahoo messenger and see me online IM me for chat.

#31 Guest_matt

Guest_matt
  • Guests

Posted 12 October 2004 - 01:10 PM

Welcome! Looking forward to hearing from you.

#32 Guest_Jerry W. Peach

Guest_Jerry W. Peach
  • Guests

Posted 13 October 2004 - 10:00 AM

Welcome! I am converting to Orthodoxy and will be Chrismated this Christmas. Keep seeking. It sounds like you're almost there. (This is my first post and I thought I sent this yesterday but I don't see it.)

#33 Guest_garry horne

Guest_garry horne
  • Guests

Posted 13 October 2004 - 01:36 PM

I converted myself from a Baptist Evegelical background and was chrismated almost one year ago. I am curious what brought you to this decision.May God bless you as you begin on your journey

#34 Guest_Jerry W. Peach

Guest_Jerry W. Peach
  • Guests

Posted 13 October 2004 - 05:07 PM

Hey, thanks for your email. Now I now what they mean by deleting the Placeholder. A couple of years ago I was very disheartened by the lack of visible faith in my nearly grown daughters (19 and 17 yr old). I was listening to Catholic Radio (Al Kresta and Catholic Answers). Their hermeneutics of the Holy Scriptures really got me to thinking. They touched on verses I'd always skipped over. It was a much deeper understanding of the Bible than I had so far ever encountered. And the Church they described was much closer to the Early Church then my current Protestant Church (United Brethren, a Small Evangelical/Fundamentalist Faith) it seemed. I nearly converted, but I wanted to look at not only the Early Church but the Reformers: why they reformed or "rebelled". In the end I had some real problems with the office of the infallible Papacy. Since being Catechized by

#35 Guest_Martha Columba

Guest_Martha Columba
  • Guests

Posted 14 October 2004 - 02:34 PM

Hello -- it's too bad your post got truncated, please do continue Jerry!

I'm another seeker, and have been lurking on Monachos for months. Thanks to everyone who makes this site such a welcoming place, with such depth of information and primary sources on the Faith.

Just a bit of advice as you're searching and praying. Your touchstone needs to be the local church, and I hope you've found a nearby Orthodox community. Speaking with a discerning priest is invaluable, and regularly being part of Divine Liturgy will bring meaning and beauty to your life. However, do be wary online: always think, 'who is putting this stuff live, and can I trust this source?'

As an inquirer, sometimes you can be a bit fragile or exposed. For example, after participating on the beliefnet.com boards, and being flamed with ad hominem attacks, I decided to make my research read-only (this is my 1st message online anywhere since being personally attacked there).

I wish you and your family joy as you search and pray in utter humility. Time for me to return to lurking as my comments are of little worth . . . thank you again Monachos community!
+ M

#36 Guest_Jerry W. Peach

Guest_Jerry W. Peach
  • Guests

Posted 15 October 2004 - 12:32 AM

Hey, I'm new at this. It looks like my message got cut off. Where was I? Ah, yes. Reading a bio of Martin Luther (by a former speech writer of Al Gore's no less, whose name escapes me) I learned about the Council of Constance 1414-17. This council determined who the Pope would be between the 3 ruling Popes at the time. It was to have met periodically but whose idea was successfully ignored by the subsequent Popes. Here I saw some evidence of a councilar movement or idea that preceeded the Reformation. I read of some of the alternative reasoning of the early reformers about the Matt: 16:18 (on this rock [Peter] I build my church) that didn't include an imperial papacy. But in their reform they threw out the baby with the bath water. Luther couldn't reconcile himself to the collective inspiration and wisdom and calling of Christ's Church moving in a councilar way lead by a Holy Spirit, as promised in John 16:13 (When...the Spirit of Truth comes he will guide you in all truth.) He fell back to an internal personal faith. Sorry, I've digressed...There were other more personal reasons why I went towards Orthodoxy. But I went to Orthodoxy because it was the Catholic Church without the Pope. During catechizism and additional study I realize with tears and humility I have hit the mother of all Churches... the ocean of spirituality. I am suffused with wonder at the Orthodox understanding of the nature of man (stained and distorted yet in the image and likeness of God) and the process of salvation in the union of Christ's divine person (2 PE 1:4 partakers of divine nature) even the emphasis on the disciplines of fasting and its embracing of a mystic tradition that's fully ... well, Orthodox. This is the real thing. I was an atheist in my youth then became Protestant Fundamentalist }believer, who didn't bother with theology (much like Luther). And remained so until just a couple of years ago, when "Catholic Answers" radio showed me that the Bible is not a Protestant book. I address directly to David Perry. Continue this search. There is a profundity here and ultimately salvation into union with Christ. Salvation is not merely a legal transaction, freedom from damnation, but a "journey" to attain to the unity of faith and to knowledge of the Approachable Glory, by Grace.

#37 Katherine Clark

Katherine Clark

Junior Poster

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 16 October 2004 - 03:04 PM

It is good to hear the stories. I am also a catachumen with stops on the way from Southern Baptist->Bahai->Southern Baptist->Episcopalian. Orthodoxy is a great gift to me for which I must be grateful always. Like you, David, the spirituality and theology of God, Man and the Church together with the oh so practical emphasis on repentence for myself and love to my brother has captured my mind and my heart. I am reassured that there is in fact true truth to which I am blessed to be able to bow not a smorgesbord of "choices" from which one may select for the "truth of the month" or some such. May Christ our true God guide you, David, and all of us. Thanks for the posts.

#38 Matthew Panchisin

Matthew Panchisin

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 589 posts

Posted 16 October 2004 - 05:34 PM

Dear all,

I'm delighted to read of all of your love for Christ and His Church.

On a personal note I have been an Orthodox Christian for 42 years now and I'm still trying to understand the profundity that Jerry had mentioned as it is a continuous and mystical journey embracing the teachings of the Orthodox Church and the self revealing Holy Trinity (One in Essence Consubstantial and Undivided) which is experienced by means of sacramental (mysteria) participation.

A warm welcome to all of you!

In Christ,

Matthew Panchisin

(Message edited by Matthew_P on 16 October, 2004)

#39 Guest_Basil Shannon

Guest_Basil Shannon
  • Guests

Posted 17 October 2004 - 01:24 AM

It's very exciting to hear about all of you who are inquirers and new converts.

I converted to Orthodoxy 9 years ago from a Lutheran > Church of God, Anderson, IN > charismatic background. I was attending university at Oral Roberts University, studying to be a charismatic preacher when I took a church history course which prompted me to begin questioning everything I had believed about the nature of the church. In light of all the historic documents I read, including scripture, I could no longer believe that the Church was intended to be an "invisible" church of many denominations, who disagree with each other on key points of faith. There had to have been some ecclessiastical structure which help to preserve the deposit of faith passed down from Christ to His apostles. After looking into Catholicism, I found, by God's grace, Orthodoxy. I wish you all well on your journey. Welcome.

Basil

#40 Guest_David Perry

Guest_David Perry
  • Guests

Posted 05 January 2005 - 03:00 PM

After several months of discernment I'll be Chrismated tongiht at 6:00pm during the Vigil for Theophany!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users