79 replies to this topic

#41 Fr Raphael Vereshack

Fr Raphael Vereshack

• Moderators
  • 4,420 posts
  • Orthodox Christian Member
  • Verified Monastic Cleric

Posted 05 January 2005 - 03:55 PM

God bless you as you enter Christ's Holy Church!
In Christ- Fr Raphael

#42 Dcn Alexander Haig

Dcn Alexander Haig

Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 323 posts

Posted 05 January 2005 - 07:38 PM

Congratulations on your chrismation!

With love in Christ

Alex

#43 Moses Anthony

Moses Anthony

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 410 posts

Posted 05 January 2005 - 11:05 PM

DAVID and JERRY: WELCOME HOME BROTHERS, ENJOY THE FEAST!!

MARTHA: COME ON IN. THE FAMILY IS LARGE, BUT WITH PLENTY OF ROOM FOR ADOPTION.

a sinful and unworthy servant

#44 Guest_Martha Columba

Guest_Martha Columba
  • Guests

Posted 06 January 2005 - 12:59 PM

Thank you James! And a blessed Theophany to all.

Please pray for our little family, for my husband who comes from an evangelical understanding of Anglicanism; as well as for our sweetest newborn Zoe Katherine, whose 40-day Blessing will be on 2 Feb . . .

I hope & pray for a change of heart from dear husband, so that we may be received together later this year into the Church. Thank you all for your prayers. I am confident that 2005 will be full of joy.

Humbly,
M.

#45 Guest_Eva K

Guest_Eva K
  • Guests

Posted 09 January 2005 - 07:09 PM

Hello, I'm new and I need advice how to use the message board.
Thanks in advance.
All the best,
Eve

#46 Guest_Martha Columba

Guest_Martha Columba
  • Guests

Posted 14 March 2005 - 05:09 PM

Hello again all, may we all have a blessed Great Lent.

First, if you're still around Eva, it looks like your first posting on Monachos' boards was perfectly fine. Hope you've posted elsewhere.

Also may I again request the online community's prayers, as dear husband has basically said he's against ZK getting baptised/me or us being received into Orthodoxy.

Coming from a background of low liturgy he dislikes Orthodox worship -- though he adores Tavener -- and he's basically happy being a practicing Anglican.

I will speak with our local GO priest (we did have the 40-day blessing last month) but thank you for your prayers.
Humbly,
m

#47 Katherine Clark

Katherine Clark

Junior Poster

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 16 March 2005 - 12:32 PM

January 2, 2005 - Theophany I was chrismated! Thanks be to God. I attend an OCA church in Mississippi. May God guide each and all of you. Thank you for the support.

#48 Guest_Elias Young

Guest_Elias Young
  • Guests

Posted 16 March 2005 - 08:45 PM

Martha Columba wrote:
...dear husband (comes) from a background of low liturgy he dislikes Orthodox worship -- though he adores Tavener.
Hi Martha:

It seems that Sir John Tavener left the Orthodox Church and is now writing both Hindu & Sufi (Islam) inspired music.

http://enjoyment.ind...sp?story=572913

Though this may fit within some of the current trends of Anglicanism.

elias

#49 Guest_Claudia Antoaneta

Guest_Claudia Antoaneta
  • Guests

Posted 03 April 2005 - 12:00 PM

Dear friends,

I am new to this group and deeply moved by your beautiful sories. I am Orthodox by birth (baptised shortly after birth) and live in an Orthodox country, with churches at virtually every two streets. Yet I only started to know God when I was 18. When I think of you getting to know Orthodoxy while living in such a secular society, with the many temptations of a developped country! Haven't we received an incredible gift?

And - Martha, I think you can achieve a lot more by praying for your husband than by talking him into accepting your faith. As a father said - people should rather talk to God about their children than talk to their children about God. I guess it applies to husbands too. Posted Image

Warmly,
Claudia

#50 Guest_Bob Hendry

Guest_Bob Hendry
  • Guests

Posted 03 April 2005 - 07:58 PM

Dear Claudia,

Thank you for your quotation:

people should rather talk to God about their children than talk to their children about God.

How provocative; however, I think we must strike some sort of balance. We must do both, but in what proportion? 50-50? 60-40? Others thoughts on this??

This has made my day, now I have to meditate and pray on this. Thanks.

Bob Hendry
Southern Maryland

#51 Herman Blaydoe

Herman Blaydoe

• Moderators
  • 4,157 posts

Posted 04 April 2005 - 03:23 PM

Just remember that when our children see us talking to God, we are saying something to them too...

#52 Guest_nurse-aid

Guest_nurse-aid
  • Guests

Posted 04 April 2005 - 03:32 PM

it is my head today or weather...just cannot comprehend what you want to say...Posted Image

#53 Guest_Claudia Antoaneta

Guest_Claudia Antoaneta
  • Guests

Posted 04 April 2005 - 08:28 PM

The quotation was from Father Epiphanios - "Bits of Life - From the Life and Teachings of Father Epiphanios". I read the book in Romanian, but it was originally written in Greek (Father Epiphanios was a Greek, he died in 1989, at the age of 59). If there is an English translation, 'taste' it, it is fine reading.

Claudia

#54 Guest_Martha Columba

Guest_Martha Columba
  • Guests

Posted 06 April 2005 - 01:00 PM

Many thanks everyone, and Claudia. Your prayers are much appreciated.

My priest is wonderfully supportive, and I am patient -- I know the Church will be there when things fall into place.

With kind regards
A blessed Lent,
M

#55 Anestis Jordanoglou

Anestis Jordanoglou

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 07 April 2005 - 05:32 PM

To all,

I saw Fr Peter Gilquist last evening. He was in my parish in Webster, MA where Fr. Luke Veronis is my parish priest.

I can't tell you how incredible he was to listen to. His journey to Orthodoxy, it was stunning.

As a "cradle-Orthodox" his stories and yours incite my Faith. I can't begin to tell you what a blessing you are to me and to the many people in my parish who are overwhelmed by your vision and your perspective. It's truly the Holy Spirit at work.

Please, if any of you are in Central Massachussetts ever, stop by in our small parish of St. Constantine and Helen in Webster MA that we might meet you and offer our hospitality.

In Christ,

Anestis

#56 Leandros Papadopoulos

Leandros Papadopoulos

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 140 posts

Posted 29 October 2005 - 05:49 PM

Dear friends,

I am forced to leave this blessed forum, by 15 forum members.

My answer to them as I leave is: "He who is without sin among you, let him throw a stone at me first".

The moderator of the forum has informed me, by private email, that 15 members of the forum are “complaining of your conduct in the forum”, they “have complained not only about the projection as ‘the Orthodox view’ ideas which are in fact your own readings and interpretations, and at times in fact not the Church’s teaching; but also and more fundamentally about the manner of posting—that is, making emphatic statements which are phrased in such a manner that the expectation is that they are to be taken as fairly definitive unless others can prove a counterpoint. There have been several complaints about your mis-characterisation of others’ views through straw-man arguments in particular.”

So, I have to leave this forum in peace, since I do not want to abuse the hospitality of M.C. Steenberg, who asked me to take into conscious consideration the concerns expressed in Discussion Community’s Terms of Use – with which I consciously had tried to comply in every each one of my posts. I thank Matthew for his tolerance and I also thank him for his hospitality and for his kind consultation and I understand the pressure on him.

The moderator informed me that: “the members who have written have expressed concerns that these kinds of posts are extremely misleading to the many hundreds of members who read but do not post, and the thousands of readers who access the forum pages each day to read specific articles; and also that they are discordant with the focus and tenor of the forum, which is primarily for discussions on discerning the Church’s teachings through her patristic and monastic heritage, and not on delivering comprehensive statements on various concepts to which others may voice challenge only by ‘proving them wrong’ ”.

My feeling from the above paragraph, which contains the concerns of the specific forum members and which alerted the forum moderator, is that the protesters’ concerns regards my usage of the forum as “Forum for Catechesis/Teaching”, but rather it shows their intention to apply their interpretation of the usage of the forum reading in the specific educational function from the readers, as my achievement. How could I had convinced these forum members that their posts are being read in the same context that my posts are being read by the forum readers regardless of the message itself or the author ? This, I can not do. They have to realize by themselves that the reader of a forum provides, exclusively by himself, the characterization of the forum, regardless of the intention of the forum’s host or the forum posters’ style. If the forum is being read as catechism, or as its “Terms of Use” designates, is not the accomplishment of the posters but it is the result of the aim of the reader. The argument that “these kinds of posts are extremely misleading” shows just the personal reasoning of protesters’ conclusions in their effort to present arbitrarily themselves as the representatives of the “many hundreds of members who read but do not post, and the thousands of readers who access the forum pages each day to read specific articles”.

I welcome the criticism about the style and the substance of my posts, but the expressed fear of the influence of my posts and their impact on the forum readers is groundless taken by the protesters’ analysis of my posts that is asserted to forum readers, while leaving out of their analysis their own posts in safety zone. I wonder what the opinion of the 15 forum members for the impact of their own posts on the readers of the forum is ?!

Each post that I had submitted is MY POST, not the licensee post of the Church. This is something that I had, occasionally, emphatically underlined in my public posts, as well as I had systematically written in almost all of my private messages to forum members, with whom I was engaged in private discussions.

I have no intention to defend myself, on the grounds of the specific complaints, about the substance of my posts, as my posts present me authentically and they are the only defense I would have had.

Dearest Matthew and 15 forum members, I withdraw from the forum because I am not qualified catechist/teacher of the Orthodox faith, which I had never claimed that I was, since you seek for these types of participants, although the Discussion Community’s Terms of Use does not state this necessity.

However, I leave with bitterness in my heart, because from the 15 complaining forum members nobody had contacted be privately by email. From the readers/members of the forum that have contacted me privately, until this minute, only one person objected about the length of my posts, without criticizing the contents of the posts in the way the 15 members did, and I thank him from my heart for his decency. I find it weird, the 15 forum members complaining for someone’s conduct without presenting the complaints to the wrongdoer himself.

Therefore,

• Because, I am not allowed to issue messages that do not meet the standards of the specific 15 members,
  • Because, my messages are dangerous and cause upset in the community,
  • Because, forum readers read my messages differently than the messages from the other forum members, being blindly misled by my posts and being rightly-led from questioning the other forum members’ posts,
  • Because, I am not a teacher of the Faith and I confess that I am not, but the 15 forum members think that I pretend to be,
  • Because, as the 15 forum members had pictured me, “I deliver comprehensive statements on various concepts to which others may voice challenge only by ‘proving them wrong’, instead of discussing the Church’s teachings through her patristic and monastic heritage”,
  • Because, there have been several complaints about my mis-characterisation of others’ views through straw-man arguments in particular
  • Because, the moderator of the forum consents to the above reasons,
  • Because, I can not perform my rights as a member of the forum, but only under the trusteeship of the 15 forum members
  • Because, I have no interesting to remain in a forum which prescribe its readers as mere consumers of its posts, unable to understand variation, difference, false and lie, which readers are supposed to just take everything they read as a fact,
I withdraw from the forum and I issue this statement as an explanation of my action to the forum members and readers, and especially to those brothers and sisters that had asked me, in their emails to me, not to do so, when they had foresaw this development even some days before the actual “Report of Concerns” from the forum moderator.

I pray to God that someone else will present my alleged failures to this forum in the future, in an accepted way/style from the forum moderator and from the 15 forum members, which I have failed to do, in order to receive the respective corrections so that all readers of the forum should benefit by a productive discussion – even for the benefit of those who have the same false understandings that I have and they do not express them waiting for someone else to do it for them. I apologize to them for not being able to represent our beliefs without making some forum members seeing the expressed patristic presentation in my posts as non-threaten for them.

I hope that my absence will bring back the peace in the forum, at least the “peace” of consensus that the 15 members of the forum are looking.

May God bless us, all.

PS: Matthew, I had in some cases certain criticism about certain member's posts which came under moderator's jurisdiction, but I thought that I should not substitute you. Poster's role in a forum is distinct from moderator's role. When the posters are given administrative rights the forum is not a forum of members any more, but a fellowship of administrators which administers the members of the forum which are non-members of the fellowship and encounters them from a position within the fellowship in which the fellowship's members should not be in the first place as members of the forum. This methodology, which you are following as the forum administrator, can produce only faction. I say this knowing your responsibilities of your position and the pressure that you feel by 15 persons whom I do not know, but I have the feeling that they are old forum members which you know personally with justified influence. I am just a new forum member, therefore I am leaving. Thank again and may God give you His blessing in your personal private and in your professional life.

(Message edited by lpap on 29 October, 2005)

#57 Vasilis Kirikos

Vasilis Kirikos

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted 30 October 2005 - 05:43 AM

> I am saddened by all this; and I think it unnecessary for Leandros to leave. I'm a former US Patent Examiner and think it the fault of the others if they cannot offer convincing counter arguments to Leandros' assertions; but rather, those who oppose his views, be they correct or not, prefer to censure Leandros! I think it unconscionable. Worse, I find it fascistic. Indeed, I recall a professor teaching that among of the 14 basic indicators of fascism are disdain and suppression of intellectuals' freedom to speak openly; obsession with security; a class of ruling elite; obsession with punishment and so on. Without healthy debate there is no learning or communication of ideas. The Church's history is not that of a vacuum without individual ideas. Some of the basic teachings of The Church first accepted in one council were changed in later councils. But where there is no or censure of communication there can be no honest exchange of ideas or the resolution of conflicting ideas. I just don't understand the reasoning here for Leandros' censor or his persuasion to vacate this forum. Very sad, Vasilis * *

#58 M.C. Steenberg

M.C. Steenberg

Former Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,843 posts

Posted 30 October 2005 - 10:09 AM

Dear all,

I do not feel the public forum is the place to discuss situations regarding specific individuals; in the present context, regarding a correspondence that began and was intended to remain in e-mail. It has, however, been brought into the public forum in a highly misrepresentative manner. Please be assured that no one’s thoughts or posts have been ‘censored’; no one has been asked to leave the forum; nor is it true that there is a panel of members who has some manner of administrative authority over posts and participation; nor is being a teacher of the faith / catechist a prerequisite of participation; etc. Members who have participated here at any length will be well aware of this, and recognise that the claims made in the message above are deeply inaccurate. In point of fact, they are grounded in a deep misunderstanding of and reaction to a specific e-mail from me to the person involved. Please be assured that I have already replied by e-mail to both messages in this forum.

As before, I do not feel the forum the place to discuss such matters, given that they are based on personal misunderstandings of a personal e-mail. However, should any member feel any concern whatsoever over what has previously been posted, I invite you most warmly to contact me directly, either via Private Messaging or via direct e-mail.

INXC, Matthew

#59 Guest_katya the nurse-aid

Guest_katya the nurse-aid
  • Guests

Posted 31 October 2005 - 12:48 AM

The flower which is, beyond to understand….
The beauty which cannot resist its own smell…
And sun which knows how it becomes that bloom…
By sending warmth upon its fragrance, melt it, all day and until moon….
And rain who wash and nourish it and giving pure state…
All those events upon it came…become the part of it, and never late…
Whole air just becomes transformed into the fragrant substance of New World!
O Dear Lord! It is just basement of Your Home,
how must be great Your Land, Your World!

#60 Guest_Niko S.

Guest_Niko S.
  • Guests

Posted 05 August 2005 - 04:43 AM

Dear brother and sisters in Christ,
this is my first post and I am actually nervous due to my spiritual and theological ignorance as I read many of your posts. I have begun my spiritual journey due to Gods magnified grace and along the way I have encountered an extremely spiritual priest that I would truly treasure as my spiritual father. However he belongs to the old calenderists of the Greek Orthodox Church and have been told by main stream Greek Orthodox Clergy that the "old Calenderists" sacraments are considered invalid and that they have been excommunicated by the Patriarchate of Constantinople. I am torn. My I adopt this spiritual man as my father and receive the mysteries of the church elswhere..I feel this my be betrayal to him. Or do I continue looking for a spiritual guide within my jurisdiction. Unfortunately I have yet to "feel" what I felt speaking with this man. Please pray for me and my family.

yours truly,
A humble brother in Christ.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users