5 replies to this topic

#1 Keith Howard Sorensen

Keith Howard Sorensen

Junior Poster

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 05:07 AM

Hi,

Does anyone know where I might find some pictures of the 2 volume Orthodox New Testament printed by the Holy Apostles Convent? I am thinking about buying the books, but first I wanted to see what they looks like on the inside. Also, does anyone know if they will be printing an Old Testament?

Thanks,

keith

#2 Rdr Daniel (R.)

Rdr Daniel (R.)

Very Frequent Poster

• Validating
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 705 posts
  • Orthodox Christian Member

Posted 03 April 2012 - 10:57 AM

Dear Keith,

I'll try and P.M. you a few if I should get time.

Basically they are set out in paragraph (not column) form, in more readable font than traditional bibles but not so big as to take up too much space. They also have black and white icons on most pages in the Gospels but far less in the Epistles. At the end of each book there is a section with all the numbered notes/quotes from the Fathers.

In Christ.
Daniel,

#3 Keith Howard Sorensen

Keith Howard Sorensen

Junior Poster

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 12:29 AM

Daniel,

Thank you for the help. It is very appreciated. Also, I attempted to send you a pm, but your inbox is full.

Keith

#4 Leah

Leah

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 12 May 2012 - 03:45 PM

Could some one tell me what the Holy Apostles Convent is , please forgive my ignorance, I am still trying to understand different bibles , I have read other posts and threads but i can't seem to find an explaination as to why it is similar to the EOB.Does it have both Old and New Testament ? Thankyou for your help.
In Christ Leah :)

#5 Father David Moser

Father David Moser

• Moderators
  • 3,581 posts
  • Verified Cleric

Posted 12 May 2012 - 04:08 PM

Could some one tell me what the Holy Apostles Convent is

Holy Apostles Convent is the name of a convent under one of the Greek Old Calendrist splinter groups - I don't know the proper name of this group any longer as they have changed jurisdictional affiliation multiple times over the years, but at present they are not connected with any other group as far as I am aware. The headquarters of this group is a monastery just outside of Buena Vista Colorado and is headed by an "Archbishop Gregory" (whom I knew when he was an hieromonk in ROCOR twenty years ago) and his vicar "Bishop George". The convent is occupied by only one nun - Mother Miriam - who supports herself mostly through her translation work. I don't think that there is any one else staying with her there. She is a thorough translator and seems to insist on literal accuracy at the expense of idiomatic or stylistic quality, thus her translations of the Gospel and the Epistles from Greek to English are quite literally accurate, but hard to read.

Fr David

#6 Leah

Leah

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 12 May 2012 - 04:45 PM

Thankyou Father, I understand now why it is quoted alongside the EOB. In Christ Leah

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users