Peter Simko

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 148 posts
  • Orthodox Christian Member

Posted 03 April 2012 - 01:45 PM

Friends,

Does anyone know of an online resource with either instruction or the notation for the special chant used for reading the Prophecy of Ezekiel during Holy Week? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

>>>Pete

#2 Brian Rowlands

Brian Rowlands

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 08:35 AM

Friends,

Does anyone know of an online resource with either instruction or the notation for the special chant used for reading the Prophecy of Ezekiel during Holy Week? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

>>>Pete

It depends which one you mean and in which language!

If it is the fairly common Russian version (which commences something like "lah-lah soh-soh ti-ti lah-ti-doh.... soh-soh lah soh fah# soh mi") it may possibly be found in English in one of the Holy Week music books published by Saint Vladimir's Seminary several years ago (Vol 3?). It's actually quite a simple chant.

There are also several commercial recordings (one on Ikon Records, from the Patriarchal Cathedral in London) which (if you can find it) you might transcribe in Church Slavonic and then adapt into English if that is what you want. There are, no doubt, several versions available on a well known video clip site, from which you could learn and then annotate your chosen text.

#3 Anthony Stokes

Anthony Stokes

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 413 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 01:25 PM

I've been using the version in the SVS Holy Week Vol. 3 book (http://www.svspress....roducts_id=2718). There are about 3 or 4 melodic patterns.

This video uses the same melodies as the English version in the SVS book.

Sbdn. Anthony

#4 Peter Simko

Peter Simko

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 148 posts

Posted 10 March 2016 - 03:12 PM

Friends,

Since posting this question, I received the music to this prophecy in the Prophetologion edited by Peter Gardner.  I did my best to put together a recording of this melody in English so I can learn it better myself, but in case it is useful to others, I have created this YouTube video:

#5 Peter Simko

Peter Simko

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 148 posts

Posted 10 March 2016 - 07:47 PM

By the way, two other special melodies that I found online for this reading are below:

It would be interesting to see from where the music for these two is available.

#6 Loucas

Loucas

Contributor

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 95 posts

Posted 10 March 2016 - 09:26 PM

Beautiful chanting, Russian, Serbian tradition correct? This is read just before the Epistle on Great and Holy Friday. Saint Gregory Palamas Monastery has a digital Chanters Stand and Holy Friday is April 29. http://www.agesiniti.../dcs/dcs.html,

Edited by Loucas, 10 March 2016 - 09:28 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users