4 replies to this topic

#1 Alexander Ignatiev

Alexander Ignatiev

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 08:35 PM

My wife complains about the blandness of fasting food, as she is not Orthodox or a man and does not appear to understand that eating boring food is a good practice for Lent. So, for those of us who prefer to not eat bland fasting food, she and I have compiled a short list of truly excellent fasting flavor enhancers, so that we may fast in a joyful spirit:

Soy sauce
Sriracha sauce
Thai chili paste
Curry paste
Coconut milk
Tomato paste
Mushrooms
Apple cider vinegar
Balsamic vinegar
Rice vinegar
Crushed nuts

In particular I must urge you to brown mushrooms and run them through the food processor. Mushrooms, browned with salt in a non-stick pan (thus using no oil) can be added to nearly any savory dish to make it taste richer and meaty, without actually adding meat.

#2 Paul Cowan

Paul Cowan

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,064 posts
  • Orthodox Christian Member

Posted 13 April 2012 - 05:02 AM

You forgot the most important one.

SALT. Best flavor enhancer in existence.

#3 Effie Ganatsios

Effie Ganatsios

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,725 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 06:26 AM

Herbs enhance every dish they are added to.

A couple of tips : Eat slowly, chew every bite thoroughly, ENJOY each mouthful.

Today, Good Friday, is a day of mourning. We do not cook a meal, we do not sit at the table, we eat whatever is available - a slice of bread, a tomato, some olives, etc.

I cheated a little and made myself a cup of coffee using Stevia powder as a sweetener. I remember years and years ago, my mother sighing after her first sip of Greek coffee in the morning, and saying "Aaahhh, I feel so wonderful after my morning coffee". I have become my mother!!!!!

Christos Anesti

Euterpe

#4 Paul Cowan

Paul Cowan

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,064 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 01:20 AM

Then your mother was a wonderful person.

#5 IoanC

IoanC

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 160 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 12:34 PM

Though the Fast is over and I am not quite on topic, I must say that fallen humanity has a very twisted idea about what good food is. Most people fail to see that a fruit or vegetable, a seed, a nut is really God's understanding of something great to eat and proof of His infinite creative power/genius. Not saying that we can't eat other things like bread, or cook something else, or even meat (though I wouldn't eat it with a passion considering the suffering of the animal), but if we don't start with a very basic understanding of what humanity was intended to eat, then we want to add things or modify things too much without it being necessary, and end up eating all sorts of bad tasting/illness provoking foods (like fast food). We also fail to properly thank God along the way and praise Him for the things He already made Himself for us to eat.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users