• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Nectarios Allen

Nectarios Allen

Junior Poster

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 05:09 PM

I apologize if this is inapropriate. I am new to orthodoxy and have a question. I have begun attending a church and have begun working with a Priest. He wishes to be referred to as my "spiritual Father". He even had me read a small book on how to deal with a spiritual father. I have read other places that that is not how it works and even heard on ancient faith radio that is wrong. I'm a bit concerned.

Thank you for your help.

#2 Herman Blaydoe

Herman Blaydoe

• Moderators
  • 4,157 posts
  • Orthodox Christian Member

Posted 22 April 2012 - 08:32 PM

You may want to become familiar with the forum Search feature. I recommend starting with the following threads. If you still have questions we can certainly discuss them here.

Monasticism and Spiritual Fatherhood
Modern Elders
Should advice from your spiritual father always be obeyed over other clergy?
Obeying your spiritual father

#3 Xenia Moos

Xenia Moos

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 03:40 AM

For years I wanted a spiritual father and I prayed that God would give me one. Then someone told me that the parish priest was one's spiritual father under normal circumstances. But I wanted my own St. Seraphim, someone who could just look at me and "do a reading" and give me special advice and instructions. But then I started paying closer attention to what my parish priest said to me during confession: Pray to the Mother of God, read a little of St. John's Ladder, etc. and realized I was already getting good counsel, if I was willing to accept it. I was like Naaman of the Old Testament, who had leprosy. Elisha told him to bathe in the Jordan, advice he disdained because it wasn't grand enough. I wanted "special" counsel. But I am not a special person, just an ordinary parishioner.

-xenia

#4 Dimitris

Dimitris

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 176 posts
  • Orthodox Christian Member

Posted 23 April 2012 - 01:33 PM

Nectarios, you are a very lucky person, for your priest approaches you and offers himself as spiritual father.

#5 nijjhar

nijjhar

Junior Poster

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 03:30 PM

Hi Brethren,

Those Rabbis from the yoke of which Christ Jesus set us FREE used to be addressed as Fathers and that is why Christ Jesus told us in God, we have One Spiritual Father and none to be addressed Father in a spiritual context.

You have your secular or tribal father but the soul came from our Spiritual Father God. So, if you know that when you were born in a particular tribal family, then our Real Self soul came from our Real Father God.

To get rid of those Rabbi Fathers that Christ Jesus is called the Lamb of God by John, the Baptist, an Angel of Yahweh, the creator of male and female or Nature at large.

These Church Fathers are Fake Fathers and they cannot enter into the Royal Kingdom of God through the Narrow Gate for the Solitary. These Fathers in Churches are under their Abbotts and they are not Solitary.

Jesus came to make us Solitary and seekers of His Word for Salvation ourselves. No one can give your account to God.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users