#1 Fr.Alexei

Fr.Alexei

Junior Poster

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 08:48 PM

Dear Forum Members,
Glory be to Jesus Christ!

A humble question to the members of the Holy Orthodox Church, particularly to priest-monks, or anyone who may know.
I have often heard that in the Orthodox Church, hieromonks, hierodeacons, etc...will sometimes NOT live in a monastic setting, but will live their monastic life assisting at a parish, living with non-monastic clergy. How common is this, and can anyone give any examples of this type of monastic life from priest-monks they know, or have heard about? I have heard that a schema-subdeacon assists at the Joy of All who Sorrow Cathedral in San Francisco. How does he and other monks/priest-monks live their monastic life in such a setting as a parish/place outside of a monastery or skete? Thank You!

#2 Richard A. Downing

Richard A. Downing

Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 240 posts
  • Orthodox Christian Member

Posted 31 May 2012 - 10:44 PM

I know that in my deanery we have at least two Heiromonks who are parish priests. They go off to their monasteries from time to time to top-up their batteries so-to-speak. One of these is a Stavrophore monk from Mt. Athos, I believe. Not sure about the other one.

There are also quite a few non-priest monks and nuns living in the UK, in the community as opposed to in a Cloister.

Richard.

Edited by Richard A. Downing, 31 May 2012 - 10:45 PM.
typo

#3 John S.

John S.

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts
  • Orthodox Christian Member

Posted 01 June 2012 - 03:02 PM

How common is this, and can anyone give any examples of this type of monastic life from priest-monks they know, or have heard about?

Father,

You could shoot an email to Hieromonk Patrick, who is the parish priest of an OCA parish in Pittsburgh, Pa. He's been the parish priest there for a while, and I'm sure he'd be willing to share his experiences with you.

You can find his contact information at the parish website: http://stmaryorthodoxchurch.net/

- John

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users