1 reply to this topic

#1 Alexander Ignatiev

Alexander Ignatiev

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 04:29 PM

I am writing a historical novel related to the Paleologian restoration of the Eastern Roman Empire (focusing particularly on 1267-1276), which centers on Euboea (which the Latins called Negroponte). One of my characters is intended to be a pious hieromonk who is attached to the protagonist's fleet, which formed a portion of the Byzantine navy. I am hoping to present a character of a priest-monk who is a true ascetic, and not some sort of parody of monasticism or a Friar Tuck figure. To that end, I have been researching monastic communities on Euboea, but the most prominent I can find are from the 15th century, and I can discern no evidence of earlier monastic communities on the island.

I have, therefore, several questions:

First, were there any monastic communities on Euboea in the 12th and 13th centuries? Second, what importance did the Jesus Prayer have in Eastern monastic communities prior to St. Gregory Palamas? Third, where can I find sources on 12th and 13th century Greek monasticism so that I can do my own research, instead of bothering this fine community?

Thanks,

Alex

#2 Alexander Ignatiev

Alexander Ignatiev

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 05:10 PM

John Sanidopoulos from Mystagogy was able to give me some information, if anyone else is interested. There was a small monastery dedicated to St. John Kalyvitis (the Hut-Dweller) built around the 11th century in the district of Messapia, which fell into disuse, and was restored in 1245, then again fell into disuse until the 18th century when Russiani monks repaired it. Aside from this, the only other attested monastery on Euboea is St. David, which is the 15th c. monastery.

http://www.kalivitis.gr/history.asp

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users