11 replies to this topic

#1 Steven Shelton

Steven Shelton

Junior Poster

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 03:19 PM

I wanted to ask if you are older and have a desire to become a monk does that create a barrier because of your life experiences, i would agree that entering when one is young you do not have all the things that one would gather when they are older meaning bad habbits all the things that we all go through , but like life to become a monk is to struggle and become as God intended us to be .

#2 Father David Moser

Father David Moser

• Moderators
  • 3,581 posts
  • Orthodox Christian Member
  • Verified Cleric

Posted 21 July 2012 - 06:10 PM

Look up the life of St Paul the Simple - a disciple of St Anthony the Great.

Fr David

#3 Niko Barounis

Niko Barounis

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 22 July 2012 - 01:46 AM

its been said that it will be harder to enter a monastary the older you are.
Ie: they (most) prefer younger people not only for the reasons you mentioned but also they are in beter health and require less help.
YET, i have also heard theat they like it when its a retired person caus they can keep receiving his ss payouts.
guess its diff at diff places, you just gota check.

#4 Father Stephanos

Father Stephanos

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 162 posts

Posted 22 July 2012 - 02:15 AM

Age does not create a barrier to becoming an Orthodox Christian monastic.

Simply put, all Orthodox Christian monastics are supposed to be called by our Lord Jesus Christ to be a monastic; it is not a way of life that we can just choose on our own to live according to our own understanding.

If a person is called by our Lord Jesus Christ to be a monastic, age is not a barrier. Such a person, no matter what their age, will need to have at least true monastic obedience to their spiritual father and real repentance in order to be transfigured into an Orthodox Christian monastic.

I hope this helps, and may our Lord Jesus Christ bless and guide you!

With agape in our Lord Jesus Christ,
+ Father Stephanos

#5 Monk Herman

Monk Herman

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 22 July 2012 - 07:04 AM

I believe that Roman Catholic monasteries will generally refused men who they consider to be "too old." They are make use of psychological screening before considering anyone who wants to be a monk.

In Orthodox monasteries we don't refuse anyone. I was in a Greek monastery with several older men. Fr Vlasios was in his seventies and standing with the novices. At least two had been married and raised families; then husband and wife both entered monasteries. In a nearby monastery were a father and son, both priests. The mother and two daughters were in a women's monastery; one of the younger women was the abbess. Age doesn't matter.

Neither does sin. A certain canon states that no one should consider himself unworthy of entering a monastery because of his or her sins.

Fr Herman

#6 Niko Barounis

Niko Barounis

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 22 July 2012 - 01:13 PM

What i said in my last post was not my oppinion but what i read from this site or it could have been from orthochristianity dot net.
but i do think it was from here.
dont have time to look up the thread, gota leave for Church.
blessed day to everyone

#7 Steven Shelton

Steven Shelton

Junior Poster

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 08:39 PM

Thank you Fr Stephanos and monk Herman the reason that i asked is that this is something that i have been thinking about for a long time , i belive that God directs one in his own time that when a person is ready than God will bless him to take up his cross and follow him as a monastic , one can think about it but not be ready but i also belive that when the time comes God will make the transition an easy one for that is Gods will.

I am an Orthodox Christian and a sinful man as are all men but God forgives all men their sins if they truly confess their sins this i belive and hold on to please keep me in your prayers Steven

#8 Niko Barounis

Niko Barounis

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 01:50 AM

i have been searching for that thread here and at the other side and cant find it, i give up.

BTW: i noticed your last post and Im curious...why did you "just" thank Fr Stephanos and monk Herman? Dosent Fr. Moser or i deserve a thank you?

#9 Paul Cowan

Paul Cowan

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,064 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 01:57 AM

Thank you Niko. Thank you Fr. David.

#10 Niko Barounis

Niko Barounis

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 03:42 AM

: )
yea, tnx u

#11 Paul Cowan

Paul Cowan

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,064 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 04:52 AM

I think you missed a few letters there Niko. What does that spell?

#12 Steven Shelton

Steven Shelton

Junior Poster

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 11:50 AM

Yes you do much thanks to all who are here my bad.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users