#1 Rick H.

Rick H.

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,231 posts
  • Orthodox Christian Member

Posted 24 July 2012 - 12:18 AM

1.) How can I get to the social groups area?

#2 Paul Cowan

Paul Cowan

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,064 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 12:23 AM

Go here Rick

#3 Rick H.

Rick H.

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,231 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 12:27 AM

Thanks Paul! But, how can I get here in the future without using you link? I know how to navigate fairly well on this site but cannot figure out how to get the social group site the regular way.

#4 Paul Cowan

Paul Cowan

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,064 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 12:34 AM

Click on "Discussion Community" then "Community" then "Group" in the drop down box.

#5 Rick H.

Rick H.

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,231 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 12:35 AM

Perfect, thank you very much!

#6 Rick H.

Rick H.

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,231 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 01:21 AM

When someone starts a social group (as I just did) does anyone know it has been started? I don't think I am aware of the social groups that are here, is there a way that they are brought to anyone's attention initially or down the road?

#7 Paul Cowan

Paul Cowan

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,064 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 04:46 AM

When I started mine I became a "member" and it appeared on my profile page. Others can then become members of your Group and it shows up on their profile page also. One can visit any Group via another's profile page if they also belong to one. There is also mention of them in the forum handbook. Self promotion does not hurt either. There was another feature that fell into disuse similar to social groups, but I can't recall what it was. something like a personal blog within the forum.

But Rick, It seems your profile page has been shut down or something. I can't see anything on your page but blue.

#8 Paul Cowan

Paul Cowan

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,064 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 04:49 AM

Chakras and Orthodoxy Social Group is located here.

#9 Christina M.

Christina M.

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 696 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 05:14 AM

Dear Rick,
Welcome to the forum! I see you are a newbie here. Please feel comfortable to click around on the different links, so that you can find your way around.
:D

Just kiddin. I might check out that chakras group. I'm interested in that stuff.

#10 Rick H.

Rick H.

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,231 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 12:45 PM

Dear Rick,
Welcome to the forum! I see you are a newbie here. Please feel comfortable to click around on the different links, so that you can find your way around.
:D

Just kiddin. I might check out that chakras group. I'm interested in that stuff.

Sometimes I feel like the kid in the Tortino's commercial. There is a camera in a freezer looking out at two teenagers who are talking on the phone and telling there mom they can't find the pizza rolls. The whole time the bag is right in front of both of them on the top shelf as they look all around it trying to find it. Then their mom says top shelf right hand side and they look there and go OH!! OKAY GOT IT! Then they put the cell phone in the freezer as they take the pizza rolls out and run away.

Okay Paul, gotcha, first shameless self promotion to try to build a group . . . then discussion. I'll give it a shot although I'm not sure how many people have an appetite for this or for that matter how many people are left around here.

Thank you!

(cue baseball game vendor's voice and rhyme and meter . . .)

"CHAKRAS AND ORTHODOXY DISCUSSIONS!" "GET YOUR FRESH HOT CHAKRAS AND ORTHODOXY DISCUSSIONS HERE!" "ENERGY CENTERS AND ORTHODOXY HERE!" "WHAT DOES ORTHODOXY THINK ABOUT THE ENERGY CENTERS? . . . BE THE FIRST ON YOUR BLOCK TO KNOW!" "CHAKRAS AND ORTHODOXY DISCUSSIONS . . . 1 FOR 25 CENTS OR 4 FOR A DOLLAR!)

Edited by Rick H., 24 July 2012 - 01:00 PM.

#11 George Y

George Y

Regular Poster

• Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 06:27 PM

Maybe it isn't my place to ask, but since chakras are from hinduism and hinduism is idol worship, is it prudent to follow this mumbo jumbo?

I don't mean to offend, just an honest question.

#12 Rick H.

Rick H.

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,231 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 06:43 PM

"Chakras = Hinduism = Idol Worship = Mumbo Jumbo" Do I have it right George?

Assuming this is an honest question, that is a fair question. The validity of a discussion about the chakras and Orthodoxy has been questioned before, but not by anyone who is in the know.

But, possibly the flaw in the logic behind the question (viz. the chakras are 'from' hinduism so they should be discounted) is clouding the issue for you. That is like saying asceticism ('from' Indian and Asian origin) is not 'from' Christianity, it is not a Christian invention, so it is mumbo jumbo. Not good logic really.

But, to go further is to start discussion in the social group really.

Maybe it is less provocative to call them energy centers instead of use the Indian name chakra? Have your followed the yoga thread at all here George to see references to the energy centers in Orthodoxy?

Back to your original point . . . if we were created with these energy centers then it is not correct to say 'the chakras are 'from' hinduism' because in this case the chakras/energy centers would then be 'from' God. Make sense?

Is this mumbo jumbo or is this something from the Creator God in our beings?

If it is mumbo jumbo who wants to follow mumbo jumbo? But, if the energy centers are real and we were created with them by God and they do have a direct effect on our beings then . . .

Here's a little blurb I just put up in the social group as a first post:

"Welcome to the Chakras and Orthodoxy group. This is a group for the purpose of seeking to know what Orthodoxy thinks about the Chakras/Energy Centers."

Do you want to know what Orthodoxy thinks about the Energy Centers in our bodies/beings George? From what I have read and been told so far Orthodoxy clearly does not consider the energy centers to be mumbo jumbo.

Edited by Rick H., 24 July 2012 - 07:16 PM.

#13 Father David Moser

Father David Moser

• Moderators
  • 3,581 posts
  • Verified Cleric

Posted 24 July 2012 - 07:36 PM

Rick - and others,

If you start a social group for whatever reason its probably appropriate to mention it ONCE in ONE post. I think, Rick, that you might have gone a little overboard, so I think you're done. The social groups are not meant to be a means of circumventing the regular discussion - and Rick we really have discussed chakras to death here on monachos in the regular forum so it might be best to leave it be. Keep in mind that social groups are a place for friends to get together and chat about "stuff they have in common" like where they live or places they've been or food or whatever, so lets try and respect that rather than coopt them for some other purpose. And remember that social groups can be moderated just like the regular forum if they get out of hand.

Fr David Moser

#14 Rick H.

Rick H.

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,231 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 08:09 PM

Fr David,

Actually, we have talked about the different aspects of yoga at length here in the past, but I have never been able to get a conversation started about the energy centers at all. So this topic has not really even gained a toe hold here in this forum. It's totally incorrect to say this subject has been discussed to death. Do you now what the chakras are Fr. David?

For that matter I don't know why you would have tried to discourage conversation about the energy centers the other day. I think you said something like to the best of your recollection this is an orthodox forum . . .

I guess I thought it would be more appropriate to take this discussion to the social groups when I saw you recommended those who wanted to create a hub for info about the monastery in SF. That is not really talking about food or places they've been, that is an example of a discussion that was discouraged in the regular threads but encouraged for the social group area. Things do seem a bit arbritrary at times.

I can see why the hub of information was discouraged, but I really cannot see why an attempt to find out what Orthodoxy thinks about the energy centers is discouraged (especially when I think I already know Orthodoxy acknowledges the reality of them). It makes no sense to me why you would try to discourage a conversation like this unless it is lack of awareness or thinking this is all mumbo jumbo like George?

Why can't this discussion about the energy centers in our beings take place in a regular thread? Are you familiar with what I am talking about at all? We have threads about hoodies and clothes why not what is a part of the inner man?

#15 Rick H.

Rick H.

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,231 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 08:40 PM

It's like there is an aversion here to this subject as it relates to Orthodoxy. I have noticed this for a few years here I guess. Several years ago I couldn't even use the word Buddhism without bringing some to anger, this is not true now . . . maybe there is a similar curve needed with energy centers?

#16 Father David Moser

Father David Moser

• Moderators
  • 3,581 posts
  • Verified Cleric

Posted 24 July 2012 - 10:27 PM

Why can't this discussion about the energy centers in our beings take place in a regular thread? Are you familiar with what I am talking about at all? We have threads about hoodies and clothes why not what is a part of the inner man?

I don't recall a thread ever positing to talk about solely the Orthodox teaching on energy centers, or perhaps on references to energy centers in the Fathers. I do recall a lot of talk about various eastern spiritual theories that had really minimal connection to Orthodoxy and in those discussions (especially one on acupuncture I think it was which centered specifically around chakras) no evidence of any kind ever was presented that this was an Orthodox teaching. We also had, if you will recall, a scholastic Buddhist who came onto the forum and attempted to explain what chakras were from within Buddhism - but again there was nothing there that was Orthodox. But still with all of that discussion no one (not even you) have presented any shred of evidence of an Orthodox reference to chakras/energy centers or anything else like it.

The conversations on clothes, food and other external things all live pretty much exclusively in the "casual and personal" section which is strictly speaking not a part of the main forum (have you ever noticed that posts in those sections do not count toward your total post count?) and so there is a lot more laxity in what goes on there.

So if you have evidence of energy centers in the Fathers - please start a thread about those references in the regular forum, but remember that the focus is not on what others think about these ideas or how others have incorporated them into their religious practices, but rather about how they are viewed, taught about and used within the Orthodox Church.

Fr David

PS. And yes, Rick, I do know in quite a lot of detail about chakras - much more than I comment here since it is way off topic and something that I have never found in Orthodoxy - except in those places where they are specifically warned against.

#17 Rick H.

Rick H.

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,231 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 10:56 PM

Sounds good, thanks! I would have guessed you would have had some knowledge or at least exposure through a survey of Jung in your previous training. You probably knew what was being said in the quote I put up last week about the #2 and #3 chakras then.

I'll send you a voucher for some chakra milk if you share 'those places in Orthodoxy where the chakras/energy centers are specifically warned against.' That could be helpful in different ways.

Were these warnings in the Fathers?

#18 Antonios

Antonios

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,039 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 11:27 PM

Were these warnings in the Fathers?

Now Rick, that's a silly question and you know it. I don't think someone could read the writings of the Fathers, especially those Apologists who defended against the heresies of their day, and not have an idea what they would say about such 'energy centers'.

#19 Rick H.

Rick H.

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,231 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 12:37 AM

Now Rick, that's a silly question and you know it. I don't think someone could read the writings of the Fathers, especially those Apologists who defended against the heresies of their day, and not have an idea what they would say about such 'energy centers'.

I'm not sure what you are saying here. I'm a little tired now but . . .

I am asking Father David if the places in Orthodoxy which warn about the energy centers are from the Fathers or possibly more modern sources? I don't honestly don't know.

If we get this discussion going Antonios you might be surprised to see that it is not as cut and dried as you seem to think it is today. Although I am not sure if you are denying the reality of the existence of the energy centers in the body or not with what you are saying. I was in a seminar a few years ago that included two doctors who presented correlations between nerve centers or ganglia and the location of these energy centers . . . have you ever seen anything like that in your experience as a doctor?

Like I say, I'm a little tired now . . . but are you equating belief in the reality of the energy centers to a heresey above? There are many Orthodox, some higher up clergy (even here) who acknowledge the reality of the energy centers. Honestly, I'm not sure what your point is Antonios.

Here, I tell you what, I'll just start the new thread the best I can now . . .

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users