Rick H.

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,231 posts
  • Orthodox Christian Member

Posted 16 August 2012 - 05:21 PM

USAGE OF THE FEEDBACK SYSTEM:

(n) The feedback system (which is described here) is available to registered members in good standing. It must, however, be used in accordance with its purposes and not for personal attacks against members or other comments / activities that would violate the spirit of the Terms of Use of the forum as a whole.

I would like to understand better how the feedback system is to be used.

I thought I read a clarifying post by Fr. David which said it is supposed to be for "atta boys" thanks for the post, or good post, etc. for positive stuff, for smiley faces and 'friendly' conversation/comments.

Is it appropriate to use this to make repeated negative comments and critical remarks?

I guess it is a subjective thing what is written above from the community handbook about comments that would violate the spirit of the terms of use of the forum.

#2 Father David Moser

Father David Moser

• Moderators
  • 3,581 posts
  • Verified Cleric

Posted 16 August 2012 - 06:29 PM

Rick,

The "feedback" system is for short comments (rather than making a post that contributes nothing to the discussion) relating to a single post. It is most often used to express agreement with a statement made or to indicate some "positive" response. It is not necessarily limited to only "positive" comments - they can be neutral or even express disagreement. I don't see how "disagreement" can really fit in a "feedback" comment since it generally involves a substantial contribution to the discussion and therefore is more appropriately made in public. In any case feedback comments should be short, succinct and above all polite. If anyone has been receiving abusive (not necessarily just annoying) feedback comments, please send a pm with a copy of the comment to one of the moderators.

For anything that takes more than a sentence or two - a Private Message is a much more appropriate way to send a personal/private comment.

Fr David

#3 Rick H.

Rick H.

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,231 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 06:59 PM

Thanks very much for the clarification father. I think I understand now. I appreciate the distinction between 'the annoying' and 'the abusive.'

And, yes, at the very least just good manners if nothing else as you say:

In any case feedback comments should be . . . above all polite.

This is good to have on record.

#4 Matthew Panchisin

Matthew Panchisin

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 589 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 04:07 AM

The moderation on Monachos.net allow Orthodoxy to be kicked around, but be polite.

Strange place.

In Christ,

Matthew Panchisin

Edited by Matthew Panchisin, 17 August 2012 - 04:14 AM.
Correction of wording

#5 Effie Ganatsios

Effie Ganatsios

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,725 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 04:13 AM

Rick, I use the feedback system to show my appreciation of something that has been written and sometimes just to send a short comment of encouragement. A "bravo", or "I agree, keep up the good work", or even "don't be discouraged, I understand", are appreciated by other members of this forum. I know how appreciative I am when I receive such comments.

If you disagree with what has been written I believe that it is better to post a public comment outlining your thoughts.

Effie

#6 Father David Moser

Father David Moser

• Moderators
  • 3,581 posts
  • Verified Cleric

Posted 17 August 2012 - 04:36 AM

The moderation on Monachos.net allow Orthodoxy to be kicked around, but be polite.

Strange place.

We do not moderate here for content (unless it is completely inappropriate to the discussion forum). The goal of moderation on the Monachos discussion forum is simply to provide a forum for civil discourse around the theme of Orthodox Christianity in its Patristic, Liturgical and Monastic expression. We don't decide what is Orthodox and what is not - nor do we prevent members from expressing legitimate opinions on what they think about the Orthodox Faith. We don't even moderate to keep people from saying foolish things (everyone has a right to make himself look like an idiot here - we are equal opportunity about that you know). If you want a forum where everything is pure and true and without controversy, well I've got to tell you that there are plenty of them out there, but for the most part they are ignored, irrelevant and completely dead. This is a place to exchange thoughts, ideas and opinions about Orthodox topics and discuss them in a civil and polite manner.

Fr David Moser (your friendly neighborhood draconian moderator)

#7 Matthew Panchisin

Matthew Panchisin

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 589 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 04:59 AM

Dear Father David,

Ok, so now I have heard again that Orthodoxy can just be a topic for discussion and relegated to such forum rules. Does that actually ring true to your ears Father?

Thanks for the information as you have explained much.

By the way I never suggested I wanted a forum where everything is pure and true and without controversy, what is the purpose of that insinuation?

In Christ,

Matthew Panchisin

#8 Rick H.

Rick H.

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,231 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 01:07 PM

Dear Father David,

Ok, so now I have heard again that Orthodoxy can just be a topic for discussion and relegated to such forum rules. Does that actually ring true to your ears Father?

Father David can speak for himself very well, for sure . . . but, I appreciate his comments very much. Monachos used to have the reputation for its moderators being 'censer happy.' I think that term was first coined by an Orthodox Bishop in England about 6 years ago and it did seem to catch on.

But, if someone were to say that Monachos was 'censer happy' today I would tell them that they need to allow less room for this thinking. Father David puts on display a method of moderation that is completely void of the charge of being 'censer happy' above.

Actually, in this post it makes it virtually impossible to bring any kind of charge remotely resembling 'control freakery' (another term from the UK about monachos in the past) to bear. So that's kind of cool if you think about it.

After all who wants control freakery and brow beating in order to get one's way Matthew? Sounds more like a baby throwing a tantrum than any kind of mature behavior.

Hmm . . . I think I just influenced myself. ;)

PS Thanks Effie, that sounds right. I agree with this, who wants depressing and negative stuff, or just plain annoying stuff to read during the day in their private mail/message area. Or, maybe that is the goal of the person who writes that way to you, he is trying to mess you up or make you pay. (but I'm sure in an Orthodox Christian Way)

#9 Fr Raphael Vereshack

Fr Raphael Vereshack

• Moderators
  • 4,420 posts
  • Verified Monastic Cleric

Posted 17 August 2012 - 02:43 PM

Dear Friends,

Let's all please keep in mind the importance of keeping to the Forum guidelines that this be a place of Orthodox discussion.

Certainly there can be differences in perspective. And it can be very constructive for each of us to pause and consider the import of what is being said by someone else in another post before we hit the Reply button. But for this positive response to occur we need to keep away from personal comments and stick mainly to explaining how what we are saying in our posts corresponds to the logic of the Church.

Thank you.

In Christ
-Fr Raphael

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users