Rick H.

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,231 posts
  • Orthodox Christian Member

Posted 23 August 2012 - 06:40 PM

I am wondering:

1.) I have noticed a flush of new members registering recently that seem a little off to me. I have noticed with 3 of these members that they all have used this for their location: "123456." It makes me think they are all the same person. I have noticed others too that make me think Monachos is being infiltrated (for the utter lack of a better word) by some using false identities. My Spidey senses tell me this as I read the new members profiles.

2.) Also, on a different note . . .when someone registers as Orthodox Clergy or uses the title "father" and is Orthodox, is there any check and balance set up here to check with a church if a priest or monastery if a monk, or whatever? I don't really doubt that that those here on this forum who use the title are a priest or a monk really. But, I guess you never know on the internet. And, sometimes we have monks without monasteries and priests without parishes, but I have noticed a few who do not show their last names and do not show any parish location. Probably about 99% of priests and monks do show information (last names/locations) and not conceal anything but there a few who do seem to be using some camoflauge netting. I don't share my contact info, but I am not an Orthodox priest or monk.

Edited by Rick H., 23 August 2012 - 07:27 PM.

#2 Herman Blaydoe

Herman Blaydoe

• Moderators
  • 4,157 posts
  • Orthodox Christian Member

Posted 23 August 2012 - 07:27 PM

Profiles do get created when people (or bots) register. That does not mean they get approved. The forum does get a lot of spammers trying to get in, but each and every new member is screened by a real, live moderator, they are not automatically approved. Once in a great while one slips in but I don't think we have had any major incursions recently, even though there are many many attempts.

We do generally have a higher level of scrutiny for those who claim to be Orthodox clergy.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users