11 replies to this topic

#1 Gene Burke

Gene Burke

Junior Poster

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 02 September 2012 - 11:58 PM

Greetings again to all,

I just finished reading St. Theodora's Journey Through the Aerial Toll-Houses, which sounds an awful lot like the Roman Catholic view of purgatory. Is it possible that the RC's just gave it a different name than "Toll-Houses"?

Again thank you for any insight. I also wanted to say that I hope that my questions are not offensive; they are NOT intended to be!!! Just trying to understand

In Christ

Gene

Edited by Olga, 03 September 2012 - 04:25 AM.
removed formatting marks, adjusted font size

#2 Father David Moser

Father David Moser

• Moderators
  • 3,581 posts
  • Orthodox Christian Member
  • Verified Cleric

Posted 03 September 2012 - 02:03 AM

I just finishedreading St. Theodora's Journey Through the Aerial Toll-Houses, which sounds anawful lot like the Roman Catholic view of purgatory. Is it possible that theRC's just gave it a different name than "Toll-Houses"?

Gene,

Let me suggest you look at the discussions already available on this topic:

St Theodora and the aerial toll house theory

Toll houses

If you have additional questions then please post them.

Fr David

#3 David Puline

David Puline

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 08:11 AM

Hello...Canadian Orthodox has a bunch of video on the Toll House Cult and can be viewed here:

http://www.youtube.c...ery=toll houses

Blessings
david

#4 Herman Blaydoe

Herman Blaydoe

• Moderators
  • 4,157 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 11:31 AM

Excuse me but the term "Toll House Cult" is a bit perjorative, I hope we can avoid it from this point forward. Retired Bishop Lazar is not the last word on the subject by any means.

#5 David Hawthorne

David Hawthorne

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 130 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 01:11 PM

Excuse me but the term "Toll House Cult" is a bit perjorative, I hope we can avoid it from this point forward. Retired Bishop Lazar is not the last word on the subject by any means.

Amen to that!

I would take anything coming from him with a grain of salt given some of his recent pronouncements on other subjects.

#6 Father David Moser

Father David Moser

• Moderators
  • 3,581 posts
  • Verified Cleric

Posted 06 September 2012 - 01:51 PM

Please lets remember that on this forum we are discussing the teachings of the Church, and not so much the personalities of the Church. While Puhalo may indeed have a point of view shared by some, there are many eminent and holy men and women in the Church who would fall into the so called "Toll House Cult" (and in all fairness I will state that my stand would probably put me squarely within that "cult" by most definitions). So if you plan to discuss this matter, please do not refer to the personalities and various faults (or holiness) of the persons involved, but rather offer examples and quotes from the patristic, liturgical and monastic tradition of the Church.

Fr David Moser

#7 Hieromonk Ambrose

Hieromonk Ambrose

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 292 posts
  • Verified Monastic Cleric

Posted 14 August 2013 - 06:51 AM

The teachings revealed to Saint Theodora are of prime importance for proponents and opponents of the toll houses.

Here in what Saint Justin Popovic writes in the "Partial Judgement" in Volume 3 of Orthodox Theology (Догматика Православне Цркве):

"Најпотпуније светопредањско учење  ο митарствима налази се у „Житију преподобног Василија Новог".  Блажена Теодора, ученица и добротворка Светог Василија Новог, по светитељевом благослову, у виђењу после смрти описује врлинском ученику светитељевом Григорију своју смрт и ходање по митарствима."

Translation:
"The most complete patristic [holy-traditional] teaching of the toll
houses is found in the "Life of Venerable Basil the New." Blessed
Theodora, the disciple and benefactor of St. Basil the New, with the Saint's
blessing, describes in a vision after her death to the Saint's virtuous student
Gregory her death and her journey through the toll houses." 

Since a theologian of Saint Justin's stature assesses  Theodora's account as the most complete and patristic you will understand why we use it as a frequent reference.

Edited by Hieromonk Ambrose, 14 August 2013 - 08:11 AM.

#8 Hieromonk Ambrose

Hieromonk Ambrose

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 292 posts

Posted 15 August 2013 - 01:17 AM

I see that a Greek organisation in the Chicago Metropolis has recently issued a critique of the toll house doctrine

“The Aerial Toll House Myth and Why this Teaching is Flawed”

One appreciates that proponents of the toll houses may be a little alarmed but the truth is that this is a discussion which is waiting to be heard, from both sides of the discussion.  Eventually the bishops may feel it is beneficial to consider the matter and issue guidelines for the faithful.

Edited by Hieromonk Ambrose, 16 August 2013 - 06:40 AM.

#9 Hieromonk Ambrose

Hieromonk Ambrose

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 292 posts

Posted 18 August 2013 - 04:49 AM

Looking for a message on the forum.  PLEASE HELP!

Somebody wrote that Pope Saint Gregory the Dialogist, while he sometimes writes of gloomy-browed demons at death, more often writes that the soul is met by Christ, accompanied by a multitude of luminous angels and saints, with trumpets and joyousness. 

Anybody recall that message?

#10 Hieromonk Ambrose

Hieromonk Ambrose

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 292 posts

Posted 29 September 2014 - 07:02 AM

Calling all toll house aficianados... do you know the Life of Saint Basil the Younger has been published by Dumbarton Oaks just three months ago?

-oOo-

Edited by Hieromonk Ambrose, 29 September 2014 - 07:03 AM.

#11 Rdr Andreas

Rdr Andreas

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,027 posts

Posted 29 September 2014 - 10:24 AM

I have read the piece to which a link was provided in post #8. The author of the piece describes the toll houses belief as heresy. When did the Church declare it a heresy?

#12 Kosta

Kosta

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,516 posts

Posted 29 September 2014 - 02:19 PM

Looking for a message on the forum.  PLEASE HELP!

Somebody wrote that Pope Saint Gregory the Dialogist, while he sometimes writes of gloomy-browed demons at death, more often writes that the soul is met by Christ, accompanied by a multitude of luminous angels and saints, with trumpets and joyousness. 

Anybody recall that message?

Yup, that was me. Wow message was from a year ago.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users