#1 Herman G.

Herman G.

Regular Poster

• Members
  • Pip
  • 29 posts
  • Orthodox Christian Member

Posted 14 September 2012 - 02:27 PM

I noticed that today is listed as a special fast according to the Antiochian calendar and strict fast (oil and wine) on the OCA calendar. What do these mean?

#2 Father David Moser

Father David Moser

• Moderators
  • 3,581 posts
  • Verified Cleric

Posted 14 September 2012 - 02:32 PM

The Elevation of the Cross and other feasts of the Cross are always remembered as a fast day (because of the Cross) - just as feasts of the Baptist are also frequently fast days. On these days you fast as you would during Great Lent.

Fr David Moser

#3 Matthew

Matthew

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 120 posts

Posted 14 September 2012 - 06:29 PM

I thought it was interesting that my daily readings from GOARCH.org specifically instructed the faithful to "rest from labour" today.

#4 Antonios

Antonios

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,039 posts

Posted 14 September 2012 - 08:24 PM

Hi Jonathan, here's an Orthodox wiki article: http://orthodoxwiki...._the_Holy_Cross

#5 Father Stephanos

Father Stephanos

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 162 posts

Posted 15 September 2012 - 02:09 AM

I noticed that today is listed as a special fast according to the Antiochian calendar and strict fast (oil and wine) on the OCA calendar. What do these mean?

Dear Mr. Jonathan G.,

Although I do not currently remember a source for you to check, many hundreds of years ago, the Feast of the Exaltation of the Holy Cross was still a major Feastday, with no fasting as we do today. In the centuries that ensued since then, our Holy Church appropriately changed the Feast to a day of strict fasting with wine and oil only allowed to be eaten on this Feast if it falls on the Sabbath Day (Saturday) or the Lord’s Day (Sunday), since we do not fast on these days except on Holy and Great Saturday.

Various Orthodox Christians jurisdictions have their own definitions as to what strict fasting is for their flocks, which is why there are differences in the presentation as to what a strict fast entails.

I hope this helps!

With agape in our Lord Jesus Christ,
+ Father Stephanos

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users