#1 Reader Luke

Reader Luke

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 145 posts
  • Orthodox Christian Member

Posted 14 September 2012 - 11:13 PM

Does anyone know of or have a link to maps of the diocesan boundaries within various Orthodox Churches across the world?

#2 Herman Blaydoe

Herman Blaydoe

• Moderators
  • 4,157 posts

Posted 15 September 2012 - 12:13 AM

With the diaspora of Orthodox immigrants to many places, such a map would be rather convoluted at best, not to mention rather superfluous, without even getting into "byzantine" definitions of "barbarian lands".

#3 Paul Cowan

Paul Cowan

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,064 posts

Posted 15 September 2012 - 12:23 AM

Here is one for the US

#4 Reader Luke

Reader Luke

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 145 posts

Posted 15 September 2012 - 12:33 AM

Thank you.

I would love maps of the Greek & Russian churches or any of the others. I know the diaspora has messed things up a bit, but the "old world" should be pretty defined.

#5 Herman Blaydoe

Herman Blaydoe

• Moderators
  • 4,157 posts

Posted 15 September 2012 - 12:53 AM

Not so much actually, just ask a Ukrainian. Or perhaps Estonians. And if you really want a rollicking "discussion", ask about the Macedonian Church.

#6 Reader Luke

Reader Luke

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 145 posts

Posted 15 September 2012 - 01:11 AM

Not so much actually, just ask a Ukrainian. Or perhaps Estonians. And if you really want a rollicking "discussion", ask about the Macedonian Church.

I guess I should clarify then that I'm not concerned about non-canonical groups. Groups like the Greeks, the EP, the Russians, Serbians, Romanians, Bulgarians etc...

#7 Herman Blaydoe

Herman Blaydoe

• Moderators
  • 4,157 posts

Posted 15 September 2012 - 01:26 PM

I'm sorry but it is just not that easy. It is complicated. Like Paul already did, you can see a map for a particular region where different national (ethnic) churches have established parishes. Thus you have the relatively strange phenomenon of an "Orthodox Church in America" parish in Australia. Beyond that the various churches tend to follow ethnic boundaries, which can be somewhat fluid as well. There are no rigid "boundaries", the Church goes where the people are.

What I think you are really looking for is the listing of the various autonomous and autocephalous churches which are available in several places. There is the interesting case of the Monastery of St. Catherine on Mt. Sinai which is an independent church in its own right. Again, where the people go, "their" Church often follows.

#8 Reader Luke

Reader Luke

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 145 posts

Posted 15 September 2012 - 04:01 PM

I guess what I'm looking for, is a map which shows the boundaries for each diocese of the Church of Greece within Greece, and each diocese of the Ecumenical Patriarchate within it's jurisdiction. Or a map of each diocese of the Moscow Patriarchate within Russia and Ukraine.

I'm not looking for the actual boundaries of each autocephalous church, but rather the boundaries of the dioceses within it.

basically a map of each Orthodox autocephalous church that looks like this:
http://commons.ortho...rchInGreece.png
(that image doesn't show the actual diocese boundaries, but the regions within Greece, I'm speaking of actual diocese)

Which shows the boundaries of every diocese (or archdiocese/metropolis).

For example, I'd like a map showing the boundaries of all these diocese within Greece:
http://orthodoxwiki....:Greek_Dioceses

#9 Fr Raphael Vereshack

Fr Raphael Vereshack

• Moderators
  • 4,420 posts
  • Verified Monastic Cleric

Posted 15 September 2012 - 04:48 PM

Here is a link for a map of the the dioceses of the church of Russia.

#10 Reader Luke

Reader Luke

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 145 posts

Posted 15 September 2012 - 05:13 PM

Wow, ty, that's exactly what I'm looking for!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users