• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Frank Shea

Frank Shea

Junior Poster

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 12:07 AM

The two thieves at the crucifixion have been called the good thief and the bad thief. One is told by the Lord that he will be with him in Paradise but the Lord says nothing to the other thief. It doesn't seem to me that he has done any worse than those who crucified the Lord yet he is still called the bad thief. When the Lord said," Father forgive them for the know not what the do, could that have also been meant for the so called bad thief. Just asking, I am a Catechumen to Eastern Orthodox.

#2 Olga

Olga

• Moderators
  • 2,827 posts
  • Orthodox Christian Member

Posted 24 September 2012 - 04:33 AM

This should help, from Luke ch 23:

39 Then one of the criminals who were hanged blasphemed Him, saying, “If You are the Christ, save Yourself and us.”

40 But the other, answering, rebuked him, saying, “Do you not even fear God, seeing you are under the same condemnation? 41 And we indeed justly, for we receive the due reward of our deeds; but this Man has done nothing wrong.” 42 Then he said to Jesus, “Lord, remember me when You come into Your kingdom.”

43 And Jesus said to him, “Assuredly, I say to you, today you will be with Me in Paradise.”

#3 Kosta

Kosta

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,517 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 05:47 AM

Cant say ive heard him being called the bad thief. In Orthodoxy the other is usually refered to as the repentant thief.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users