#21 Archimandrite Irenei

Archimandrite Irenei

Community Moderator

• Administrators
  • 495 posts
  • Orthodox Christian Member
  • Verified Monastic Cleric

Posted 27 September 2012 - 05:40 AM

Andreas, the word used in the Church -- rightly or wrongly may it be vis-a-vis etymology and other choices -- is nagrada.

#22 Rdr Andreas

Rdr Andreas

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,027 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 08:50 AM

I personally think the use of awards, medals, stars and so forth, mimicking a civil honours system, is wrong for the Church.

#23 Father Stephanos

Father Stephanos

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 162 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 08:59 AM

I personally think the use of awards, medals, stars and so forth, mimicking a civil honours system, is wrong for the Church.

I agree!

Also, having such honors not being distinct and differentiated from actual holy offices in our Holy Church, makes the matter worse as it confuses the natures of a holy office and an award!

With agape in our Lord Jesus Christ,
+ Father Stephanos

#24 John Konstantin

John Konstantin

Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 342 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 11:29 AM

On a side note. It is a shame that there is not pan-orthodox use of a simple pectoral cross for all priests (vis a vis the Russians), rather than it be seen as an honorific in some jurisdictions. Simply because many bearded clergy in cassocks in multicultural countries have been known to be thought of as muslims.

#25 Ryan

Ryan

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 837 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 05:04 PM

I know a priest who went to visit someone at a hospital, and he was wearing a big shiny pectoral cross, and he was still mistaken for a Muslim.

#26 Father David Moser

Father David Moser

• Moderators
  • 3,581 posts
  • Verified Cleric

Posted 27 September 2012 - 05:18 PM

I know a priest who went to visit someone at a hospital, and he was wearing a big shiny pectoral cross, and he was still mistaken for a Muslim.

That's like the priest who, when he was asked if he was jewish, just pointed to the cross on his chest. The questioner then said, "Oh, you're with Jews for Jesus!"

Fr David

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users