#1 Herman G.

Herman G.

Regular Poster

• Members
  • Pip
  • 29 posts
  • Orthodox Christian Member

Posted 28 September 2012 - 03:09 PM

Even with the very limited information I've read about Christian suffering in the African and Middle Eastern turmoil, my heart is troubled for their plight. I want to help in any way I can, but I don't know how.

Are there specific prayers that I can pray? Are there Orthodox organizations I can work with or donate to?

#2 Alice

Alice

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 673 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 05:51 PM

http://www.iocc.org/ International Orthodox Christian Charities

http://www.goarch.or...ial/greekrelief This is the Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America relief fund for the hungry of Greece...which is a very real and huge need in this Great Crisis which Greece is presently in.

#3 Herman G.

Herman G.

Regular Poster

• Members
  • Pip
  • 29 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 07:22 PM

Thank you Alice for the links!

#4 Leah

Leah

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 29 September 2012 - 04:17 PM

Does anyone know of any British Orthodox Organisations to help our orthodox brothers and sisters world wide.I have already given to The Archdiosese of Thyateira and Great Britain, but want to set up a standing order,(which I can't with them.) In Christ Leah

#5 Rdr Daniel (R.)

Rdr Daniel (R.)

Very Frequent Poster

• Validating
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 704 posts

Posted 29 September 2012 - 10:36 PM

Dear Leah,

I'm afraid I don't know of any U.K. based Orthodox charities, but I know many parishes give to charitable causes around the world, we had a donation box passed around for the people of Greece the other week (why all this debt can't just be written off?) what might be an idea is talking to your parish's treasure about setting up a standing order to your parish to be used for such causes so that when ever there is a appeal for anything, your money is in the parish treasury ready to be send out. I know its not perfect but it might be an idea.

Another option would be to get a dollar card from Fairfx buy say $120 (around £70) then set up a standing order with the I.O.C.C. for $10 to go from your card each month, the Fairfx card are also useful for buying Orthodox books from America as you can don't have to worry about the exchange rate at the time of buying as it is all done when you buy or top up your dollar card.

In Christ.
Daniel,

#6 Leah

Leah

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 03:53 PM

Dear Leah,

I'm afraid I don't know of any U.K. based Orthodox charities, but I know many parishes give to charitable causes around the world, we had a donation box passed around for the people of Greece the other week (why all this debt can't just be written off?) what might be an idea is talking to your parish's treasure about setting up a standing order to your parish to be used for such causes so that when ever there is a appeal for anything, your money is in the parish treasury ready to be send out. I know its not perfect but it might be an idea.

Another option would be to get a dollar card from Fairfx buy say $120 (around £70) then set up a standing order with the I.O.C.C. for $10 to go from your card each month, the Fairfx card are also useful for buying Orthodox books from America as you can don't have to worry about the exchange rate at the time of buying as it is all done when you buy or top up your dollar card.

In Christ.
Daniel,

Thankyou, good advice,I will talk to my priest.... I have searched online for anything charity that would help (based in the uk)...I am gobsmaked that there isnt one !

#7 Leah

Leah

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 01:18 PM

for anyone interested; I have found that The Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of Thyateria and Great Britian DO have an account for Relief for Greece.I am not sure if it would be breaking the rules to print details here, but if you phone them in London.(I can pm the number if needed.)they will give a/c details to you,should you want to set up a regular direct debit or standing order.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users