4 replies to this topic

#1 Dan L.

Dan L.

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 02:21 PM

I suppose this is a question to the moderators. I am a catachumen in an Antiochian Orthodox Parish. Because I am not a member at this time, I marked myself as a "guest" and "other Christian". Is there a proper classification for those who are catachumens when filling out the info about myself as distinct from those who may be interested in discussing Orthodoxy but have no interest in joining?

#2 Ryan

Ryan

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 837 posts
  • Orthodox Christian Member

Posted 08 October 2012 - 04:25 PM

I'm not a moderator, but I'm going to cut and paste from a previous thread something relevant to this topic:

Met. Hierotheos Vlachos, in his book about baptism and catechism Entering the Orthodox Church, gives this quote from the Second Ecumenical Council, about receiving people into the Christian faith: " On the first day we make them Christians; on the second, catechumens; on the third, we exorcise them by breathing thrice in their face and ears; and thus we instruct them and oblige them to spend time in the Church, and to hear the Scriptures, and then we baptize them." In light of this, I don't see any problem with Evan simply describing himself as an Orthodox Christian.

Since catechumens are Christians, I think it's safe for you, as a catechumen at an Orthodox church, to describe yourself as an Orthodox Christian.

#3 John Timmons

John Timmons

Junior Poster

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 05:13 PM

If you are a catechumen and die before baptism you are traditionally given an Orthodox funeral. I don't see the issue in marking yourself Orthodox Christian on a forum. (unless rules state otherwise)

#4 Rdr Daniel (R.)

Rdr Daniel (R.)

Very Frequent Poster

• Validating
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 705 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 06:47 PM

Personally from what I remember, as a catechumen I marked Church as Orthodox, but put guest from other tradition rather than Orthodox Member due to me not yet being baptised. As a Orthodox catechumen I don't think it matters too much what you put at the moment.

In Christ.
Daniel,

#5 Dan L.

Dan L.

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 12:27 PM

Thanks, I think I will do what Daniel R. suggests unless a moderator advises differently.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users