Photo
- - - - -

Best places to study Sacred Music (Vocal emphasis)

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 kshaft

kshaft

Junior Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 06:37 AM

Hello. I am considering a Sacred Music degree. I am hoping to both perform and teach. So eventually Id like to get a Masters and even if necessary a PhD. What are some good universities for this? Any Orthodox places that can offer degrees like this? Oh Im looking for a Western or Russian emphasis. Not so much Byzantine, maybe after I get an actual degree... I like Byzantine or old Roman if you will, I just prefer western or Russian.

Thank you.

KS

#2 Fr Raphael Vereshack

Fr Raphael Vereshack

• Moderators
  • 4,420 posts
  • Orthodox Christian Member
  • Verified Monastic Cleric

Posted 17 October 2012 - 02:07 PM

Perhaps Jordanville?

#3 Father David Moser

Father David Moser

• Moderators
  • 3,581 posts
  • Orthodox Christian Member
  • Verified Cleric

Posted 17 October 2012 - 03:05 PM

Hello. I am considering a Sacred Music degree. I am hoping to both perform and teach. So eventually Id like to get a Masters and even if necessary a PhD. What are some good universities for this?

Perhaps Jordanville?

You might contact Fr Andre Papkov at Holy Protection Cathedral in Chicago directly. Fr Andre is a professional vocal musician (his "secular" vocation if you will - although as a priest and dean of the cathedral he only "performs" in the context of his liturgical duties) and has performed as a vocal soloist in recordings of classical liturgical compositions. You might also contact Kurt Sander at St George's in Cincinnatti - again a professional musician. IIRC Fr Ivan Moody (another good resource) is in Europe but is also on Facebook. Any one of these three people might be able to give you some good guidance. Another resource that you might want to look at would be to attend the XXII All Diaspora Church Music Conference (see here and here). This organization is very professional in its approach to Church Music and I have no doubt you will be able to find many "kindred souls" there.

Fr David Moser

#4 kshaft

kshaft

Junior Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 11:19 PM

I see I just missed the Music Conference. Thats too bad. Thank you for the references. I will try to email one or more of these guys.
Thanks again Father,
KS

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users