2 replies to this topic

#1 Dan L.

Dan L.

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 07:27 PM

I have a question which I'm sure many will have an easy and obvious answer to, but I am rather perplexed. When we say, God is Holy, what exactly does that mean? I've always thought that holy meant something like: consecrated for the divine. Is this a good definition? It seems rather confusing to say that God is consecrated for the divine, because He IS the Divine.

I tried searching the forum, but unsuprisingly, there are ALOT of topics that have the word holy in them.

#2 Rdr Andreas

Rdr Andreas

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,027 posts
  • Orthodox Christian Member

Posted 06 November 2012 - 08:12 PM

In relation to God, 'holy' refers to His absolute, infinite perfection.

#3 Lakis Papas

Lakis Papas

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 615 posts
  • Orthodox Christian Member

Posted 06 November 2012 - 11:09 PM

The word holy is present in Old Testament.

Isaiah 6:

In the year that King Uzziah died, I saw the Lord, high and exalted, seated on a throne; and the train of his robe filled the temple. Above him were seraphim, each with six wings: With two wings they covered their faces, with two they covered their feet, and with two they were flying. 3 And they were calling to one another: “Holy, holy, holy is the Lord Almighty; the whole earth is full of his glory.”

This same picture is presented in Revelation 4:8

In Old Testament the word that corresponds to holy is related to the assyrian word Kiddush, which has the meaning of distinguish, make a perfect separation in order to keep something clean. Therefore, things that are kept to be used for the worship of God are considered purified, clean, and eventually holy. This is the Old testament's meaning of holy. There is a Jewish tradition on the eve of Sabbath and on Jewish holidays to perform a special ceremony that is called Kiddush. Kiddush is the sanctification of the Sabbath - ceremony to make Sabbath a holy day. On Friday night, when the Sabbath begins, the Kiddush ceremony is carried out before sitting down to the Sabbath meal. A cup of wine is filled and held in the hand by the person presiding, usually but not necessarily the father of the house, and the benediction over wine recited. After the drinking of the wine, the benediction over bread is recited and the family partakes of the Sabbath meal.

One of the commandments of God is (Leviticus 11:44):

I am the Lord your God; consecrate yourselves and be holy, because I am holy. Do not make yourselves unclean by any creature that moves along the ground.

So, in Old testament the word holy has the meaning of unique, sacred, set apart as the only one of its kind. Holy is entirely set apart from the common. So, God is Holy in His uniqueness.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users