Photo
* - - - - 2 votes

Akathists to God the Father and God the Holy Spirit?

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Kevin Dolan

Kevin Dolan

Junior Poster

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 09:38 PM

I've been searching for Akathists and prayers to God the Father and God the Holy Spirit specifically. I'm a Catholic who has been examining Orthodoxy and this is one major aspect that I feel the West in general has forgotten. They place a huge emphasis on God as One, as well as God the Son, and seem to forget about God the Father and God the Holy Spirit.

#2 Olga

Olga

• Moderators
  • 2,827 posts
  • Orthodox Christian Member

Posted 08 November 2012 - 10:20 PM

To my knowledge, there is no hymnography directed solely to God the Father (other than the Lord's Prayer), just as there are no (permissible) icons of Him, nor church feasts dedicated solely to Him. There is an Akathist to the Holy Spirit, and the day after Pentecost (Trinity Sunday) is dedicated to the Holy Spirit in the Orthodox liturgical calendar. Unfortunately, I have none of these on file in English.

There is also a category of Orthodox hymns dedicated to the Holy Trinity which are sung at Matins during the Canon(s), which express what the Church teaches about the Trinity. These hymns are known by their Greek or Slavonic names of Triadika/Troitsny. And the three feasts of the Church which are explicitly Trinitarian in content are Theophany (the Baptism of Christ), the Transfiguration of the Lord, and, of course, Pentecost (The Descent of the Holy Spirit).

#3 Rdr Andreas

Rdr Andreas

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,036 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 10:32 PM

Dear Kevin,

If you read Orthodox prayers and the text of the Divine Liturgy of St John Chrysostom, you will find that the Father and the Holy Spirit are frequently mentioned. Every day, we pray to the Holy Spirit, 'Heavenly King, Comforter, Spirit of truth . . . ' as well as the 'Our Father'. It is the Holy Spirit Who effects the change of the gifts of bread and wine into the Body and Blood of Christ. There is also an Akathist to the holy Spirit in the second volume of Akathists published by Holy Trinity Monastery Jordanville.

[Posted before seeing Olga's post.]

#4 Kevin Dolan

Kevin Dolan

Junior Poster

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 11:24 PM

Well, maybe a better question is whether there are any prayers that don't just mention the Trinity, but have a specific focus on the Holy Spirit and the Father.

#5 Herman Blaydoe

Herman Blaydoe

• Moderators
  • 4,157 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 12:33 AM

That would be the Lord's Prayer (Our Father) which is said several times a day if one follows a regular prayer rule and of course "O Heavenly King" which is considered a prayer specifically to the Holy Spirit, also prayed rather often.

In the Orthodox Church all prayer is Trinitarian. We pray in the Holy Spirit, through Jesus the Son of God, and in his name, to God the Father. We call God “our Father” because Jesus has taught us and enabled us to do so. We have the capability of addressing God as Father because we are made sons of God by the Holy Spirit (see Rom 8).

#6 Father David Moser

Father David Moser

• Moderators
  • 3,581 posts
  • Verified Cleric

Posted 09 November 2012 - 12:34 AM

There is an akathist to the Holy Spirit in the second volume of the "Book of Akathists" from Holy Trinity Monastery, Jordanville, NY. In the first volume there is an akathist to the Holy Trinity.

Fr David

#7 Rdr Andreas

Rdr Andreas

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,036 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 12:51 AM

Prayer of St. Ephrem the Syrian to the Most Holy Spirit:

O Lord, Heavenly King, Comforter, Spirit of Truth, have compassion and mercy on Thy sinful servant and pardon my unworthiness, and forgive me all the sins that I humanly committed today, and not only humanly but even worse than a beast - my voluntary sins, known and unknown, from my youth and from evil suggestions, and from my brazenness, and from boredom. If I have sworn by Thy Name or blasphemed it in thought, blamed or reproached anyone, or in my anger have detracted or slandered anyone, or grieved anyone, or if I have got angry about anything, or have told a lie, if I have slept unnecessarily, or if a beggar has come to me and I despised or neglected him, or if I have troubled my brother or quarrelled with him, or if I have condemned anyone, or have boasted, or have been proud, or lost my temper with anyone, or if when standing in prayer my mind has been distracted by the glamour of this world, or if I have had depraved thoughts or have overeaten, or have drunk excessively, or have laughed frivolously, or have thought evil, or have seen the attraction of someone and been wounded by it in my heart, or said indecent things, or made fun of my brother's sin when my own faults are countless, or been neglectful of prayer, or have done some other wrong that I cannot remember - for I have done all this and much more - have mercy, my Lord and Creator, on me Thy wretched and unworthy servant, and absolve and forgive and deliver me in Thy goodness and love for men, so that, lustful, sinful and wretched as I am, I may lie down and sleep and rest in peace. And I shall worship, praise and glorify Thy most honourable Name, with the Father and His only-begotten Son, now and ever, and for all ages. Amen.

I suspect that if one trawled through the vast treasury of Orthodox prayers, hymns and services, a multitude of prayers to the Holy Spirit would be found. Similarly, prayers to the Father are commonly found, for example the prayers (two different ones in the Liturgy of St John Chrysostom and of St Basil the Great respectively) said by the priest at the bowing of our heads after the Lord's Prayer.

#8 Kevin Dolan

Kevin Dolan

Junior Poster

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 02:52 AM

Okay, thanks. I may have just been misunderstanding what I was reading a little bit, I'm still learning.

#9 Kusanagi

Kusanagi

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 719 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 10:53 AM

There was an akathist to God the Father during St Leo of Optina's lifetime but he consulted others and that it was inappropriate so it was burned.
If you have the book of prayer by St Isaac of Syria's his prayers are based solely on God and doesnt really mention the Trinity.

#10 Eric Peterson

Eric Peterson

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 397 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 03:19 AM

"When I say God, I mean Father, Son, and Holy Spirit," said St. Gregory the Theologian.

#11 Julia Hayes

Julia Hayes

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 10:28 AM

There is an akathist to the Holy Trinity

#12 Father David Moser

Father David Moser

• Moderators
  • 3,581 posts
  • Verified Cleric

Posted 12 November 2012 - 07:45 PM

There is an akathist to the Holy Trinity

Also available in Vol. 1 of the collection of Akathists from Holy Trinity Monastery (Jordanville).

Fr David

#13 anamaria.beatrice

anamaria.beatrice

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 10:26 AM

Here is a link to the akathist of the Holy Trinity 

http://holytrinitysf...ity Booklet.pdf

God bless !

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users