Photo
- - - - -

How did Christ eat after His resurrection?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Sunny

Sunny

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 06:17 AM

Apologies ahead of time if this is discussed somewhere else and I missed it. I did search and couldn't find an answer to my simple questions. After Christ's resurrection we see that He ate some broiled fish with the apostles. If there is no eating or drinking in Heaven and His body was glorified how did He do that? Did it vaporize or something when He swallowed it? And forgive me if this is a dumb question, but is Jesus still human now? A perfected human like the Saints will be someday? I've never thought of Him as actually being human now in Heaven. He walked through a solid door or wall after His resurrection. How did that work if He's got a human body? I know these questions seem dumb but I was wondering if any of the Fathers mention these things.
Sunny

#2 Kosta

Kosta

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,517 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 07:06 AM

Hey Sunny,

He ate and drank the same way as before. Also theres no teaching that we cant or wont eat or drink at the Ressurection, only that we wont hunger.

Christ is indeed human, in a transfigured state no longer subject to corruption and decay of the fallen world. How did he walk through a wall? Its a miracle. Just like when he walked on water and fed the multitudes. What is impossible with man is possible with God.

#3 Antonios

Antonios

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,039 posts
  • Orthodox Christian Member

Posted 12 November 2012 - 09:42 AM

How did Christ eat after His Ressurection?

With His hands! :)

#4 Rdr Andreas

Rdr Andreas

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,032 posts
  • Orthodox Christian Member

Posted 12 November 2012 - 02:12 PM

The Lord's Body which He had before the crucifixion is the same Body which rose from the tomb. To convince His disciples that He was not a phantom, He allowed them to touch Him. (Why He earlier told Mary Magdalene not to touch Him I do not know.) He showed them He had flesh and bones but these were divine and spiritual, not in the sense that they were not real, but that they were subject to the spirit and not courseness or earthiness like bodies before death. The resurrected body is refined and glorious.

The resurrected body and so the Lord's resurrected Body has no need of food. Because of the disciples' need to be convinced, the Lord ate, not because His Body needed food but to convince the disciples of the reality of His rising from the tomb. But in eating, the food was not digested in the usual way but was consumed or burned up by some form of divine power unknown to us.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users