Photo
- - - - -

Is there any way to delete your own posts?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Jake A.

Jake A.

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 156 posts
  • Orthodox Christian Member

Posted 28 November 2012 - 11:38 AM

I know this might seem like a silly question and maybe a moderator can help me out with this, but I no longer share the same views as stated by me on one of the posts some years ago, and out of principle I'd like to withdraw my opinion in order to make it neutral. Is there a button I can push ?

#2 Olga

Olga

• Moderators
  • 2,825 posts
  • Orthodox Christian Member

Posted 28 November 2012 - 12:07 PM

Posts which are made within the time period where editing is allowed can be deleted by the person who made the post by removing the text, and posting something like "deleted post" to indicate this. A moderator, on seeing such a post, will usually delete it, so that it disappears from the thread.

For posts where the editing time has elapsed, the post cannot be altered or deleted by the member who posted it. Moderators do not, as a rule, delete old posts because of a member's "change of mind" or "change of opinion". Here is a relevant section of the Community Handbook:

Given that individual posts become integral parts of larger discussions and threads, it is not possible to delete posts except in truly exceptional circumstances. You must also be aware that if you decide to retire your account in the future (i.e. to leave the forum), your posts will remain in the forum as part of the public discussion, and will remain searchable with your name. (It is helpful to think of posting to the forum along similar lines as publishing an article or text in a magazine or book: once it has been published, its content and your name attached to it remain in public readership and accessibility into the future.) Please do not register or post to this forum unless you understand and explicitly accept that your posts, with your name, will be publicly accessible on the internet in this way, in perpetuity.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users