7 replies to this topic

#1 Cameron

Cameron

Junior Poster

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 11:36 PM

Dear Forum,

Could anyone point me in the right direction for information (website or book/s) on how to/what the Church says about and refutes the errors of 'Jehovah's Witnesses'? there is so much wrong with what they say and I am having a discussion with a couple of them soon but I need concise and detailed explanations with references to Tradition, Scripture and other writings to be able to competently argue them into the ground!

Thanks in advance for your help!

Gudwal

#2 Father David Moser

Father David Moser

• Moderators
  • 3,581 posts
  • Orthodox Christian Member
  • Verified Cleric

Posted 02 December 2012 - 05:13 AM

For starters you might try thisl

Fr David

#3 Lakis Papas

Lakis Papas

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 617 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 03:52 PM

Hellenic Watchtower Observer - Orthodox Outlet for Dogmatic Enquiries

http://www.oodegr.co.../watchtower.htm

#4 Phoebe K.

Phoebe K.

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 279 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 07:45 PM

From long experence dealing with the JW's and other sects I have found it best to stick to the basics of the catacisam and doctrin. I works in that they give up and go away or you plant the seeds of truth and lead them into faith.

In essence the JW's have fallen into the hericy of Arianisam, the same arguments will get them as St Athanasus used against Arias The truth will unmask all the hericys, so knowing the faith will arm you with all the tools you need to refute whichever error you come across.

As through out history we need to arm ourselves with the truth and we will be able to use it to defend the faith every changeling we encounter.

Phoebe

#5 Kosta

Kosta

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,517 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 03:00 AM

JW usually use the same tactics and arguments for decades. When you know their red herrings they throw out, you can answer and counter them every step of the way.

Usually they start off by asking if you know the real name of God. Hoping to impress you that the tetragrammaton is the name given in the bible. They will ask you where in the bible does the term trinity appear. At this point I counter by asking these sola scripturalists where in the bible does the term "active force" appear as a title for the holy Spirit.

Other simple counters for there shallow theology. When they tell you Christ died on a stake using a single nail to affix his palms, point to the doubting Thomas story where Thomas specifically mentions nails in the plural went through his palms.

When they tell you only Michael is refered to as archangel and this for them means Christ and Michael are one and the same; point to Dan10.13 where it explicitly states there is more than one archangel.

There arguments are rehearsed from the same decades old manual on proselytizing

#6 Barry Forbes

Barry Forbes

Junior Poster

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 04:23 AM

Many Catholic book stores carry a series called "Beginning Apologetics" by Fr. Frank Chacon and Jim Burnham. One of the titles is "How to Answer Jehovah's Witnesses and Mormons" and it is very well done. You can also get it on-line here: http://shop.catholic...05?categoryId=2

#7 Zakharia

Zakharia

Junior Poster

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 01:41 AM

Sorry to revive an old thread, but OrthoCath's blog is indispensable when it comes to refuting JW theology.

http://orthocath.wor...vahs-witnesses/

My wife was raised Jehovah's Witness and although she had grown doubtful of them, the seeds they plant run very deep roots into a person.  I used the points in several of the posts at this blog to point out the errors in the premises and conclusions of the Watchtower Society.  Frankly, this blog helped save my marriage and bring my wife and myself to the historical truth of Orthodoxy.

Edited by Zakharia, 06 May 2013 - 01:44 AM.

#8 Kosta

Kosta

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,517 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 04:04 AM

Glory be to God!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users