• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 716 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 04:08 PM

2 people being considered are:

Metropolitan Philaret and Brother Jose

More info here:

http://eadiocese.org...cminutes.en.htm

A lengthy discussion was held about the prospects of glorification for Met. Philaret (Voznesensky) and Brother Jose. Based on their pious lives and the miracles that have occurred since their repose, many clergy and faithful around the world have been calling for the glorification of these two righteous men. Since both are interred within the borders of the Eastern American Diocese at Holy Trinity Monastery, Council members feel that the initiative for their glorification should come from within the Diocese. With the blessing of Metropolitan Hilarion, Council members approved the creation of a Diocesan Glorification Committee for the purpose of collecting information about the lives and miracles that have occurred through the prayers of Met. Philaret and Br. Jose. The committee will also be responsible for raising awareness about their lives by producing literature and videos for the faithful. Metropolitan Hilarion explained that the decision for glorification can only be made by the ROCOR Sobor of Bishops. The Diocesan Glorification Committee will present all of its findings directly to the Ruling Bishop, who will then relay them to the Synod as necessary. Archpriest Victor Potapov was appointed chairman of the committee. A formal statement regarding the Glorification Committee will be issued soon. Once the Committee was ratified, Council members sang "Memory Eternal" to Met. Philaret and Br. Jose before proceeding with the meeting.

#2 Kosta

Kosta

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,517 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 01:47 AM

Are such committees common? Why would you need to raise awareness of Metropolitan Philaret? We know traditionalists like him and some old calendar churches have glorified him. Those that support ecumenism will probably raise their voice against Sainthood. Probably will cause more problems than it's worth. Personally I hope both men are glorified, I'm just skeptical about this committee.

#3 Father David Moser

Father David Moser

• Moderators
  • 3,581 posts
  • Orthodox Christian Member
  • Verified Cleric

Posted 06 January 2013 - 04:27 AM

Are such committees common? ... Personally I hope both men are glorified, I'm just skeptical about this committee.

The formation of such a committee is the first official step towards recognizing a person as a saint. It isn't there to "raise awareness" or to argue for or against sanctity. The purpose of the committee is simply to collect information about the life of a person, the accounts of intercessions, answered prayer and miracles and to present that collected information to the Synod. Should the Synod decide to continue with the process of glorification, they will then select a hymnographer to write the new service and an iconographer to paint the first icon to be used in the glorification service.

Both Metropolitan Philaret and Brother Jose are honored privately by many as saints. The relics of the Metropolitan are incorrupt and the crypt where he is buried is a very special and holy place (it is a shared crypt under the altar at Holy Trinity Cathedral in Jordanville. He is buried there along with Archbishop Anthony of San Francisco (another "future saint" to be sure). Whenever I go to Jordanville (and its not very often) I make sure to spend some time praying there.

Fr David

#4 Father David Moser

Father David Moser

• Moderators
  • 3,581 posts
  • Verified Cleric

Posted 06 January 2013 - 04:27 AM

Are such committees common? ... Personally I hope both men are glorified, I'm just skeptical about this committee.

The formation of such a committee is the first official step towards recognizing a person as a saint. It isn't there to "raise awareness" or to argue for or against sanctity. The purpose of the committee is simply to collect information about the life of a person, the accounts of intercessions, answered prayer and miracles and to present that collected information to the Synod. Should the Synod decide to continue with the process of glorification, they will then select a hymnographer to write the new service and an iconographer to paint the first icon to be used in the glorification service.

Both Metropolitan Philaret and Brother Jose are honored privately by many as saints. The relics of the Metropolitan are incorrupt and the crypt where he is buried is a very special and holy place (it is a shared crypt under the altar at Holy Trinity Cathedral in Jordanville. He is buried there along with Archbishop Anthony of San Francisco (another "future saint" to be sure). Whenever I go to Jordanville (and its not very often) I make sure to spend some time praying there.

Fr David

#5 Fr Raphael Vereshack

Fr Raphael Vereshack

• Moderators
  • 4,420 posts
  • Verified Monastic Cleric

Posted 06 January 2013 - 02:31 PM

I think that the spirit in which we approach this, along the lines that Fr David refers to, is very important. Back in the 1980s while on Mt Athos I would in reply to 'what church are you from?' answer with 'Russian church'. Since the monks already knew I was from N America the next thing that would happen would be that their eyes would light up with joy, and they'd ask: "Metropolitan Philaretos? Diasporas?" ('are you with Metropolitan Philaret of the Russian Orthodox Church Abroad?').

But that was back in the day when Orthodoxy was in a very different situation than now. Nowadays it could very well be, that through prayer and a sober spirit, we find out certain things that actually speak of a person's sober & balanced spirit, and that wouldn't have been noticed so much previously. I recall in a two volume collection of Metropolitan Philaret's sermons & talks, one that is called- 'zeal not according to righteousness'. God willing, maybe if I have the time I will translate this and post it.

In Christ
-Fr Raphael

#6 Eric Peterson

Eric Peterson

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 397 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 09:54 PM

I love Blessed Metropolitan Philaret. The traditionalists have canonized him, but I think they did this according to their own narrow reading of him. I have really appreciated His Eminence's sermon on St. Edward the King-Martyr of England and on Christian service in war, as well as what he said regarding the non-Orthodox departed. I have an icon of him on my wall and look forward to the day when his feast will be celebrated in the churches. Hopefully, the Synod will select a day other than his repose, since it's either on St. Michael's day or the Entrance of the Mother of God into the Temple, depending on your calendar. He needs his own day.

#7 Kosta

Kosta

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,517 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 08:01 AM

Thank you, Fr. David. Do you know how long this process takes? Fr. Raphael and Eric, is there an online collection of Metropolitan Philarets sermons and writings?

#8 Kusanagi

Kusanagi

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 716 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 01:40 PM

http://blessedphilaret.blogspot.co.uk/

#9 Fr Raphael Vereshack

Fr Raphael Vereshack

• Moderators
  • 4,420 posts
  • Verified Monastic Cleric

Posted 07 January 2013 - 02:24 PM

Beyond the link just provided I'm not aware of an online source. There is a 2 volume collection of his sermons though that would be wonderful to see in translation.

In Christ
-Fr Raphael

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users