32 replies to this topic

#1 Craig R

Craig R

Junior Poster

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 08:00 AM

Hello all!
It is now 2013 but there is not yet a thread for the new year so I guess I will introduce myself here. My name is Craig and became a catechumen a few months ago after attending my local parish for a few months. It is a very small parish and at the time I started going there we didn't have a priest but would have one come and serve the Liturgy every three or four weeks, so my introduction to the Faith was a small group of very welcoming, loving, and embracing Orthodox Christians during their weekly reader services. I'm happy to say we now have a full time priest and four catechumens! I felt a strong inner pull to the Faith the first time I learned of the Orthodox Church about a year ago and that "inner pull" exploded the first time I set foot in our Church and saw the love for God the people had there and I felt welcomed and embraced right away. I knew right then that I found the Truth I was always looking for and there was no turning back, thank God! That small group of believers saved me! Thank God for them, for without them I fear I might have lost my search for God. I have learned much from these forums and am happy to be apart of you all! ;)

Edited by Archimandrite Irenei, 30 January 2013 - 03:18 AM.
Tagged

#2 Olga

Olga

• Moderators
  • 2,821 posts
  • Orthodox Christian Member

Posted 06 January 2013 - 12:13 PM

It is now 2013 but there is not yet a thread for the new year

There is now. :)

Welcome to the forum, Craig!

#3 Stephen Gift

Stephen Gift

Junior Poster

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 08:29 PM

Hi All,

My name is Stephen Gift and I have just joined this forum.

Just to give you a little bit of information about me: I currently reside in Bermuda and while we have many Roman & Protestant Churches here (I think we have the most churches per capita) we unfortunately do not have any Eastern Orthodox Churches (we do have an Ethiopian Orthodox Church which i have not attended). My journey to Orthodoxy has been a 7 year journey which I hope, through the grace of God, will be completed soon. My wife is from Canada and we have plans to move there within the next two years. I have therefore reached out to a clergyman who I pray will provide me with guidance and set me on the right path.

I believe this forum will be a good way of developing meaningful friendships with Orthodox Christians who can assist me on my journey. Looking around the world, or even the internet, these days it is hard to find anything that is positive......I believe this forum, by its very nature, represents The Light in a world of darkness. I am grateful that God led me here.

#4 T.Ann Carlson

T.Ann Carlson

Junior Poster

• Members
  • 0 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 05:42 AM

Greetings ,
I am new to this forum, and to Orhodoxy in general. My fiancee is Russian Orthodox & grew up in the faith.I am a practicing Catholic. I am trying to find my place in the Orthodox community and faith system, and have many questions. And I am not overly comfortable yet with the parish priest. Its a bit intimidating & I hope to find some answers and direction here.
Thank you.
Ann

#5 Rdr Daniel (R.)

Rdr Daniel (R.)

Very Frequent Poster

• Validating
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 704 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 12:09 PM

Dear Stephen and Ann,

Welcome to Monachos, I hope you both find this site helpful, be sure to check out the other sections of the site found on the main home page as well, should you have not already do so.

Stephen I hope you are blessed and guided both in your move to Canada and your continued journey into Orthodoxy.

Ann, questions are good feel free to ask any you have and I'm sure people will be pleased to answer them the best they can, also check out the search feature as many of them may have been asked before and you may find some good answers.

In Christ.
Daniel,

#6 John Haydukovich

John Haydukovich

Junior Poster

• Members
  • 0 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 12:40 AM

Ok ... I have been reading and watching this forum for some time. It seems like the posts are not as dynamic as I'd like to see and not much actiivity - sporadic - many years between commentary - or am I just reading this wrong?

The links to Theology, patristics are excellent.

#7 John Sullivan

John Sullivan

Junior Poster

• Members
  • 0 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 01:06 PM

Greetings fellow travelers, I have been reading,learning and absorbing some wonderfully insightful
topics for over a year now. Have finally found the courage to say hello and offer a quick introduction.

I live in Bunbury which is located approx' 180 ks south of our capital Perth in Western Australia, we have a small Greek Orthodox Church here and I am the only convert at the Church.Actually I haven't meet another, that's one of reasons I check in here daily!
It all started a few years back when I went on a search to discover what ever become of the 1st Church, the one founded by the apostles ? the investigation lead me to discover the Orthodox Church that at the time I simply didn’t know anything about-- it’s a long story.. you could say I’ve read myself to Orthodoxy, and what I have found is the most wonderful truth,& to live an Orthodox life is what I believe is my purpose in life. The people and the Church have welcomed me with open arms and the genuine love and acceptance from the community has been overwhelming.

A Warm hello from John

#8 Michael Paul Hughes

Michael Paul Hughes

Junior Poster

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 02:13 AM

Greetings in Christ Jesus the Son of God,

I come from the Methodist Christening and confirmation as a youth, raised to know the name of Jesus, yet I knew not of His power nor whom I worshipped. I am a wretched sinner and leaving the ways of heresy due to the immeasurable mercy of Christ. I have yet to visit an Orthodox Church, but will do so, Lord willing, for the first time two days from now on the Lord's day. I have read some about Orthodoxy and listened to videos of Russian Orthodox Monasticism of the Holy Valaam in Russia. I am 28 years old, work as a grocer at a local grocery store, and have found that, as I have progressed in my knowledge of the scriptures, I am only doing the works of the Law as I love my brother apart from faith in Christ and Holy Baptism. Please pray for me as one who has found the Pearl of Great Price in The Kingdom of God, and who by the Grace of God alone, desires to deny worldly pleasures of all kinds and hold true to the Holy Faith that was once entrusted to the Saints.

Please pray that I take the heart of a child as I strive to enter the Kingdom and that Christ would fight for me to become crucified with Him in the likeness of His death and joined with Him in the likeness of His resurection in Holy Baptism and that I find the right Orthodox Church to fellowship with.

Thank you greatly.
Peace,
Michael

#9 Bint Alshamsa

Bint Alshamsa

Junior Poster

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 04:16 AM

Hello y'all! I'm Bint. I'm a catechumen at a Russian Orthodox congregation, thanks to my daughter. I was raised in a new age Christian cult and my daughter was raised mostly non-religious. My parenting philosophy was that religion is for adults. Despite that, in middle school, my daughter seriously considered Roman Catholicism Church and occasionally went to services with a friend.

Then, a couple of years ago, she read a book called "The Savvy Convert's Guide to Choosing a Religion". I received it as a joke because, though I've studied several of religions extensively, I've never joined one. This book is quite impious, but it contains basic facts about many faiths. My daughter read the page about the Eastern Orthodox church and decided that this is what she is. I thought it was just a phase. We didn't even know anyone who was Orthodox. Nevertheless, she made it clear that, as soon as she got her driver's license, she was going to join an Orthodox church. That's when I realized that she was serious. So, last year, I looked online and found a local church and called the priest. He invited us to visit and we did.

We love it there! I'd planned to visit a few Orthodox churches first, but it was so welcoming and warm that after two visits we decided to stay. We both became catechumens a few months ago. I have lots of questions. So, I'm here to read and learn and perhaps participate in a few conversations.

#10 Alice

Alice

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 673 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 06:34 PM

Welcome Bint!

What a great story!

May God continue to bless you and your daughter in your faith journey into Orthodoxy! We are so glad to have you in our faith! :)

All the best,

Alice

#11 Bint Alshamsa

Bint Alshamsa

Junior Poster

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 08:23 PM

Thank you so much for the warm welcome, Alice. I feel like I've entered into a brand new life. I think about the verse in Matthew that says that unless we be converted and become as little children, we will never enter the kingdom of heaven. Because of my child and her resolute decision to join the church, I am beginning to find healing and spiritual nourishment that I never knew even existed.

#12 Athanasia

Athanasia

Junior Poster

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 01:19 AM

Hi Everyone,

This is a "reintroduction" since it has been quite some time since I have frequented Monachos.net.  It has been 8 years since I was chrismated into the Faith.  I currently live in southern New Jersey and have just started to settle into an OCA parish here.  

When I signed back on, I noted a few messages sent to me by forum members.  Please accept my sincere apology for not responding since I was not aware of them.  

Yours in Christ,

Athanasia

#13 Archimandrite Irenei

Archimandrite Irenei

Community Moderator

• Administrators
  • 495 posts
  • Verified Monastic Cleric

Posted 08 February 2013 - 06:17 AM

Welcome to our newest members, as well as a 'return welcome' to Athanasia. It is a joy to have you all here.

#14 Dora T

Dora T

Junior Poster

• Members
  • 0 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 04:05 AM

Hi All,

I am also new to the forum, I am looking forward to having a greater understanding of my Greek Orthodoxy.

This may sound silly but this forum has made me aware of the miracles of St. Irene Chrysovalantou and I am very grateful for that.

Lots of love.

Dora :)

#15 Archimandrite Irenei

Archimandrite Irenei

Community Moderator

• Administrators
  • 495 posts
  • Verified Monastic Cleric

Posted 26 February 2013 - 02:04 AM

Welcome, Dora and other new arrivals!

#16 Daniela S.

Daniela S.

Junior Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 03:49 PM

Greetings to All,

I have been reading the forums for a few months, and I was baptized recently into the Orthodox Church. I grew up with what I would call "folk" christianity inherited from my family, for which I am grateful, but I had virtually no knowledge of the church or scripture. I fell, first into atheism, and then into a mish-mash of "spiritual but not religious" ideologies for about 20 years before beginning to seek a relationship with God about 2 years ago.  I am a member of an OCA parish in western Massachusetts.  I cannot express how much Monachos.net has helped to guide me on my way.  I am somewhat shy about posting, but I have an inexhaustable number of questions, so I may begin now!

#17 jafar

jafar

• Members
  • 0 posts
  • Guest from Another Religious Tradition

Posted 13 August 2013 - 07:15 AM

Hi

Was a Moslem, about 25 years ago become a presbytarian Christian,

About 7 years ago converted and became Catholic.

Now I am learning Orthodox way of interior prayer, Prayer of heart. 

Any help is very much appreciated  thanks

Regards

Jafar

#18 Alice

Alice

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 673 posts

Posted 17 August 2013 - 11:54 PM

Hi

Was a Moslem, about 25 years ago become a presbytarian Christian,

About 7 years ago converted and became Catholic.

Now I am learning Orthodox way of interior prayer, Prayer of heart. 

Any help is very much appreciated  thanks

Regards

Jafar

Dear Jafar,

Christ is in our midst! Welcome to the beautiful and ancient Orthodox Christian tradition. You will find a lot about Orthodoxy on this site.

Be well,

Alice

#19 petruska

petruska

Junior Poster

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 18 August 2013 - 02:07 PM

Hi,

I've just been received to The Orthodox Church  last week and have been reading a lot from this forum. I am from Finland and have great respect on you all.

P

#20 Peter Agada

Peter Agada

• Members
  • 0 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 08:45 AM

Hi

I'm Peter Agada Ojile from Nigeria, I was born Anglican later went into paganism then after a long time of spiritual suffering and disorientation I found the Orthodox Church. I'm now a member of this forum.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users