In Christ.

Daniel,

#22 Auryn

Auryn

• Members
  • 0 posts
  • Guest from Another Religious Tradition

Posted 04 January 2014 - 11:24 AM

Hi, I am a Catholic.  I was raised with no faith and converted to Catholicism in 2003.  I looked into Orthodoxy right after I converted but I'm looking into it again right now for various reasons. 

#23 Rdr Daniel (R.)

Rdr Daniel (R.)

Very Frequent Poster

• Validating
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 705 posts
  • Orthodox Christian Member

Posted 29 January 2014 - 05:30 PM

Dear Auryn,

Welcome to Monachos, and may God bless your looking into Orthodoxy.

In Christ.

Daniel,

#24 OlegAney

OlegAney

• Members
  • 0 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 04:53 PM

Hello, everyone!

My name is Oleg. I live in Smolensk, Russia, and I am a teacher of the English language.

I found this forum while looking for Orthodox related discussions in English that I could use in my lessons for language teaching purposes. I'm not sure I'll do more than lurk here. But I deeply appreciate the opportunity to 'sit and listen' which is still a sort of participation.

I also enjoy the tight moderation which adds to its credibility, thus making this a good place for reliable information.

Thank you for allowing me to join.

#25 Nick B.

Nick B.

Junior Poster

• Members
  • 0 posts

Posted 16 February 2014 - 11:48 PM

Hello Everyone!

My name is Nick and after a few years of exploring Orthodoxy through reading books, searching this forum, and attending a few services, I can now say that I'm done sitting on the fence - I want to be Orthodox. In fact, I've wanted to become Orthodox ever since I read The Way of the Pilgrim a few years back but due to my traveling/hitchhiking ways, it's been a challenge to stay put long enough to become part of a community.

I found a parish near me that is welcoming and I have briefly spoken to the Priest a couple times. At some point during this coming week we are going to meet up and talk more about the next step. I'm ready for this. It's been a long road and I'm done searching, I've found what I've been looking for, and now it's time for the Orthodox journey to begin! I just want to be as close to God as I possibly can.

Thank you all for this forum and the wonderful community that you are. It's been an invaluable tool in my journey. When I have questions, more than likely it's already been answered here somewhere.

Peace to all.

#26 NickF

NickF

• Members
  • 0 posts

Posted 16 February 2015 - 05:19 PM

Hi,

My name is Nick. A few years ago I discovered Orthodoxy and became convinced of the fullness of the faith. I began to attend a local parish, but had struggles due to a mental illness I have called Avoidant Personality Disorder, which involved me constantly worry about judgment or rejection from other parishoners and I ultimately stopped attending. It has been a few years since then and I very much miss attending Divine Liturgy even though I still struggle with this problem as well as with Depression. I am hoping to find support and gain knowledge as I continue my journey into Orthodoxy.

Peace be with you,

Nicholas

#27 Rdr Andreas

Rdr Andreas

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,035 posts

Posted 16 February 2015 - 06:26 PM

If your saint is St Nicholas of Myra, pray to him for help and guidance. Some people, who, I think, have the 'better part', attend the Divine Liturgy and avoid contact with the other people there. Some close their eyes part of the time so they see no one. Whilst we are 'members one of another', we sometimes need to keep ourselves to ourselves. At our monastery here, some people remain prostrate much of the time and at the end of the Liturgy, depart for their cells without any communication with others.

#28 SeanN

SeanN

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 09 May 2015 - 09:58 PM

Hi, my name is Sean, and I am a Christian. I am a former Evangelical who is considering becoming Orthodox. I am currently on the fence, trying to decide between converting to Orthodoxy or Catholicism. At the moment, my feelings and inquiry are pointing me most towards Orthodoxy, but I'm still not 100% sure if Orthodoxy is the right choice.

#29 Rdr Andreas

Rdr Andreas

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,035 posts

Posted 09 May 2015 - 11:14 PM

Sean, have you attended the Orthodox Divine Liturgy?

#30 SeanN

SeanN

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 09 May 2015 - 11:15 PM

Sean, have you attended the Orthodox Divine Liturgy?

Yes, I have. 

#31 SeanN

SeanN

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 10 May 2015 - 09:15 PM

As of now, I've been attending a Parish for months. I hope to attend a catechumen class, sometime. 

#32 Ben Johnson

Ben Johnson

Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 294 posts

Posted 11 May 2015 - 03:08 AM

Hi Sean

I used to be a Protestant and have been Orthodox the past few years.  If you want to read a very good introduction, read Eastern Orthodoxy through Western Eyes / Donald Fairbairnhttp://www.amazon.co...rbairn orthodox.  He gives the most balanced approach between Protestants and the Orthodox that I have seen.  I think he is still Protestant, but I switched, which should tell you something.  If you want to read something from an Orthodox author, check out The Orthodox Church / Kallistos (Timothy) Warehttp://www.amazon.co...ch timothy ware.  If you want other book recommendations, others and I can give more.  In addition, I agree with Reader Andreas that visiting the Divine Liturgy is important. You can read about the Orthodox Church, but you will not get the whole picture until you experience a Divine Liturgy.   My priest once said, "Orthodoxy is more often caught, then taught."

#33 SeanN

SeanN

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 11 May 2015 - 04:24 AM

Thanks for the book recommendations, Ben!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users