#21 Rdr Andreas

Rdr Andreas

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,032 posts
  • Orthodox Christian Member

Posted 12 January 2013 - 09:01 AM

a female convert to Islam was bashing Christianity saying us Christians in the UK do not know the first Archbishop of Canterbury

. . . whilst she, presumably, could have named the first Umayyad emir of Cordoba.

#22 Porphyrios

Porphyrios

Junior Poster

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 06:28 PM

Hi,
My parish has grown alot over the last couple of years and I put this down to the failing of these modern/new age churches. On the outside they seem to appeal to some people because of the fake smiles and big noise they make but eventually people get fed up with their wishy washy, non sensical, made up doctrine that they teach. Even the slightly more traditional churches such as the Anglican church are failing because they allowed the modern world and its politics to enter which has been a kiss of death for them. The Orthodox Church is the ONE TRUE Church, it always will be. I'm not just saying that because I am Orthodox, I'm saying it because, (as I could also see before I became Orthodox), its a FACT

#23 Paul Cowan

Paul Cowan

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,064 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 11:45 PM

If supply and demand are any indication, Houston seems to have run out of our communion wine. So either we have a lot more people communing or they can't make enough to keep up with demand. The price has risen 4 fold in recent years. So something must be going on around here.

Paul

#24 Father David Moser

Father David Moser

• Moderators
  • 3,581 posts
  • Verified Cleric

Posted 21 January 2013 - 12:30 AM

If supply and demand are any indication, Houston seems to have run out of our communion wine.

I used to buy Mavrodaphne for our communion wine. Idaho's alcoholic beverage system is such that everything goes through the state - so imagine my surprise when, one day, I went to the state liquor store to order a case of Mavrodaphne and was told, "they don't make that any more". What they actually meant was that the state doesn't include it on their dispensary list anymore so I can't get it.

Fr David

#25 RomanSee

RomanSee

Junior Poster

• Members
  • Pip
  • 26 posts
  • Guest from Another Religious Tradition

Posted 21 January 2013 - 01:12 AM

I just wanted to post a quick update to this thread.

I visited my local OCA parish today! I enjoyed it IMMENSELY and cannot wait to go back next week. The parish is on the small side, mostly older people, but it is a very welcoming place indeed. The liturgy was very peaceful and went by surprisingly quickly. After the liturgy everyone gathered downstairs for some tea and baked goods. I met with the Father (rather briefly) but he seems to be a very nice guy and I gave him my email. I wanted to thank everyone here for their guidance. Looking forward to next week...thanks be to God. I'll be sure to keep you posted.

If you have any materials/books/online documents that you think I would enjoy, please don't hesitate to send them my way. The Father told me that he would get some books and some reading material ready for me next week, but I appreciate anything else you may be able to provide me with on my journey. I don't think I would have had the guts to go if it weren't for the kind members on this forum. It is all very exciting indeed. :)

Your friend,

Anthony

#26 Paul Cowan

Paul Cowan

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,064 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 02:15 AM

Fr. Andrew Damick who wrote Orthodoxy and Heterodoxy is coming to speak at our parish in a couple of weeks.

#27 Alice

Alice

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 673 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 03:17 PM

That is all very good news, Anthony! :)

My favorite Orthodox blog for inspiring Orthodox material is 'Mystagogy': www.johnsanidopoulos.com

#28 Herman G.

Herman G.

Regular Poster

• Members
  • Pip
  • 29 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 03:48 PM

Good news indeed! As a catechumen, my favorite book was "The Truth of our Faith" by Elder Cleopa. It's written in a Q&A format which made it much easier for me to understand.

#29 Adrian

Adrian

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 87 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 04:56 PM

Anthony, how did you arrive at the Tree of eternal life from the garden of religions? Was it by chance or did you pray to find truth?

#30 RomanSee

RomanSee

Junior Poster

• Members
  • Pip
  • 26 posts
  • Guest from Another Religious Tradition

Posted 22 January 2013 - 05:53 PM

Hi Adrian,

I don't know if I can really point it to one event in particular, but I remember being drawn to the Eastern Orthodox teachings on several different occasions, and after much thoughtful contemplation and prayer I do believe I have finally found the religion that I truly identify with. I highly recommend the books Mere Christianity by C.S. Lewis if you haven't already read it, and The Reason for God by Timothy Keller. Timothy's book was the tipping point for me. It is written in a very clear, concise, and logical way.

Thanks for your question, and for all the book/website recommendations. I can't wait to check them out.

Peace.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users