• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Charles Wiese

Charles Wiese

Junior Poster

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 03:54 PM

I'm a Lutheran but have a great interest both in the LXX and the Patriarchal text. I can see a good reason for regarding them as more authoritative. I've been using the NETS translation for the OT and the EOB for the the NT readings in my daily Bible reading. Even though I'm not a huge fan of the bracketed text on the whole I've been very pleased overall with the translation. My BA is in Greek and many modern translations show a very strong bias that seems to prevent them from translating passages dealing with the sacraments and eschatology accurately. I really like what the EOB has done with most of these passage but I found a very unfortunate error in 1 Peter 3. The EOB says:

20 In the past, those had been disobedient, when God waited patiently in the days of Noah, while the ark was being built. In this ark, a few, (that is eight souls,) were saved through water. 21 This is an antitype of baptism, which now saves you. Baptism is not the putting away of the impurity of the flesh but the appeal of a good conscience {in your relationship} toward God through the resurrection of Jesus Christ.

But this does not accurately reflect the Greek. The translation makes it sound like the flood is the antitype of baptism but baptism is the antitype of the flood. Baptism is the greater reality of which the flood was the prototype. Also it would be more accurate to translate the second half of verse 21 as "an appeal to God for a good conscience" rather than "the appeal of a good conscience {in your relationship} toward God." I think the ESV and RSV translate this better as:

Baptism, which corresponds to this, now saves you, not as a removal of dirt from the body but as an appeal to God for a good conscience, through the resurrection of Jesus Christ, (1 Peter 3:21 ESV)

Baptism is the appeal to God for a good conscience and God grants that appeal.

I tried to contact Fr. Laurent about this using the contact info on the EOB site but I didn't receive any response. I'm not sure if the contact info is still valid, it looks like the site has quite a bit of old information on it about release dates and so forth. I'm really looking forward to the release of the translation of the LXX.

#2 Father David Moser

Father David Moser

• Moderators
  • 3,581 posts
  • Orthodox Christian Member
  • Verified Cleric

Posted 19 January 2013 - 11:07 PM

Because of the way things were done with the EOB - only the OT is a new translation (of the septuagint). The NT is not a new translation but is the NKJV for which the publisher holds the copyright and which was a condition of its publication.

Fr David Moser

#3 dhinuus

dhinuus

Junior Poster

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 06:46 AM

The NT is not a new translation but is the NKJV for which the publisher holds the copyright and which was a condition of its publication.

Fr David Moser

Bless Father.
I believe you are confusing the OSB Orthodox Study Bible and the EOB Eastern Orthodox Bible. In OSB the NT is NKJV; but in EOB the NT is a new translation of the Patriarchal Text. They have used the World English Bible edition as the starting point; but has revised it significantly to make is consistent with the Patriarchal Text.

#4 Father David Moser

Father David Moser

• Moderators
  • 3,581 posts
  • Orthodox Christian Member
  • Verified Cleric

Posted 20 January 2013 - 10:23 PM

Bless Father.
I believe you are confusing the OSB Orthodox Study Bible and the EOB Eastern Orthodox Bible.

I am corrected.

Fr David

#5 Gregory Zancewicz

Gregory Zancewicz

Junior Poster

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 03:57 AM

I'm a Lutheran but have a great interest both in the LXX and the Patriarchal text. I can see a good reason for regarding them as more authoritative. I've been using the NETS translation for the OT and the EOB for the the NT readings in my daily Bible reading. Even though I'm not a huge fan of the bracketed text on the whole I've been very pleased overall with the translation. My BA is in Greek and many modern translations show a very strong bias that seems to prevent them from translating passages dealing with the sacraments and eschatology accurately. I really like what the EOB has done with most of these passage but I found a very unfortunate error in 1 Peter 3. The EOB says:

But this does not accurately reflect the Greek. The translation makes it sound like the flood is the antitype of baptism but baptism is the antitype of the flood. Baptism is the greater reality of which the flood was the prototype. Also it would be more accurate to translate the second half of verse 21 as "an appeal to God for a good conscience" rather than "the appeal of a good conscience {in your relationship} toward God." I think the ESV and RSV translate this better as:

Baptism is the appeal to God for a good conscience and God grants that appeal.

I tried to contact Fr. Laurent about this using the contact info on the EOB site but I didn't receive any response. I'm not sure if the contact info is still valid, it looks like the site has quite a bit of old information on it about release dates and so forth. I'm really looking forward to the release of the translation of the LXX.

The Holy Apostles Convent translation also uses the word "antitype", but in a completely different manner - more along the way you suggest:

There is also an antitype which now saveth us - baptism ...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users