8 replies to this topic

#1 Olympiada

Olympiada

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 367 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 01:29 AM

I have a question. Have you ever heard of an Orthodox Christian spontaneously regenerating? Like maybe someone who left the church for whatever reason but decided to come back and was reborn before rejoining the sacramental life of the church? Like can God start someone's life over, like remove old memories, old identities, old selves? Curious.

#2 Ben Johnson

Ben Johnson

Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 294 posts
  • Orthodox Christian Member

Posted 24 January 2013 - 06:02 AM

I have not heard of it, but with God, anything is possible.

#3 Herman Blaydoe

Herman Blaydoe

• Moderators
  • 4,157 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 08:17 AM

Does the term "Prodigal Son" mean anything to you?

#4 Olympiada

Olympiada

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 367 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 08:36 PM

Does the term "Prodigal Son" mean anything to you?

That's actually not the correct metaphor. I found out I was asking about a restoration not a rebooting.

#5 Herman Blaydoe

Herman Blaydoe

• Moderators
  • 4,157 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 11:17 PM

Wasn't the Prodigal Son a restoration? "But when he came to himself, … " isn't that like a reboot? Either way, it works. But honestly I have no idea what you are talking about as far as "old identity" or "old self" except that putting off the "old man" is what we do in baptism (Romans 6:6, Ephesians 4:22, Colossians 3:9).

#6 Kosta

Kosta

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,517 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 10:44 AM

St. Mary of Egypt.

She was a`prostitute who went on an anti-pilgrimage to Jerusalem to seduce the male pilgrims. She was successful, as her sexual favors to the pilgrims was how she was able to pay the transportation costs. An unforeseen force kept from entering the Church of the Ressurection, at that very second she realized it was due to her impurity. She retired to the desert living the rest of her life as a penitent hermit. 

#7 Marie+Duquette

Marie+Duquette

Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 302 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 03:27 PM

I have a question. Have you ever heard of an Orthodox Christian spontaneously regenerating? Like maybe someone who left the church for whatever reason but decided to come back and was reborn before rejoining the sacramental life of the church? Like can God start someone's life over, like remove old memories, old identities, old selves? Curious.

"Curious" you say, Olympiada.  The thought came to me that Moses certainly was "curious" when he went up to see what that "burning bush" was all about, on the side of Mount Horeb.  Ex. 3:3  He heard God call his name and then tell him to come no nearer . . .  " Take off your sandles for the place on which you stand is holy ground. Ex. 3:5   It seems that God did not remove the "old memories, identities, selves" as you mention in your quote;  but, God tells Moses to remove his sandles,  to do this himself.  And, then Moses " afraid to look at God , covered his face." Ex. 3:6   WHY?

As to how God deals or interacts with an Orthodox Christian who again wishes to "return" this, it seems to me is and might be different for each who is "curious" to start over, to return,  to repent, to again choose the Life in Christ!  

Your question is a good one!  How do you face it, yourself, as Moses faced his question?  as the future disciples of Jesus faced their "curiosity"? As today's Orthodox Christians face their possible return on a new level of awareness of who God is for them?  

#8 Father David Moser

Father David Moser

• Moderators
  • 3,581 posts
  • Verified Cleric

Posted 29 January 2013 - 04:06 PM

Like can God start someone's life over, like remove old memories, old identities, old selves? Curious.

I don't think that this is either possible or profitable. The memory and consequences of our sins are with us even though we repent, have been forgiven and are absolved. The memory of those sins serves as a warning and a reminder of what situations, circumstances and actions to avoid. If the memory of our past was removed, then any learning that resulted from that memory would also be removed and we would be condemned to repeat the same error over and over again.

Fr David Moser

#9 Marie+Duquette

Marie+Duquette

Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 302 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 04:37 PM

Ever since this question of God "re-booting" our lives posed by Olympiada in post #1  this question has returned to my mind in one way or another.

As the Season of pre-Lent and Lent approaches, don't we all ask this question to ourselves using one term or another?  Whether it is re-boot, regenerate, or re-born.  There are certainly other words that can be used in this context, as we know from studies and experience.  This morning as this question again entered my mind, I remembered the Chapter of John 3, that is Jesus' conversation with Nicodemus.  I believe that Jesus gives a very "possible" answer to this question by stating that "one must be born from above " that is, "Unless a man is born through water and Spirit, he cannot enter the kingdom of God."  

The incident concerning Jesus and the Samaritan Woman also speaks very clearly and profoundly of this mystery of "regeneration" .  

As I reflect upon both of these passages, the truth that anything is possible to God with my co-operation with His Grace,  I am given more HOPE that  the Word of God is still alive and active in our lives, today, if each of us has a certain "curiosity" and "willingness" to hear the Word that God speaks to the soul  and to act upon it; and this,  through return (turning again)  and repentence that is provided through the Church in the Sacraments and the "Services" provided by Her for the benefit of our souls.

Edited by Marie+Duquette, 06 February 2013 - 04:39 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users