Jean-Serge

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts
  • Orthodox Christian Member

Posted 12 February 2013 - 06:01 PM

Hello,

I've just realized the Church of Georgia had monasteries in the US. I do not know their history very well but I noticed a female monastery dedicated to Saint Nina in Maryland. Here is the link . I could not understand very well its history through the different letters, why they chose, such church. 

I also understand there may be a monastery dedicated to Saint David the Builder (translating from French) in Pensylvannia. The link is here.

Could someone tell a bit more...

#2 Ryan

Ryan

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 837 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 08:28 PM

Hello,

I've just realized the Church of Georgia had monasteries in the US. I do not know their history very well but I noticed a female monastery dedicated to Saint Nina in Maryland. Here is the link . I could not understand very well its history through the different letters, why they chose, such church. [/quote]

These are the so-called "DC nuns" around whom there is a fair amount of controversy. They were previously under ROCOR until Met. Hilarion released them, owing, as I understand it, to their loyalty to Elder Dionysius in Greece above that which they would owe to their ruling bishop.

I also understand there may be a monastery dedicated to Saint David the Builder (translating from French) in Pensylvannia. The link is here.

Could someone tell a bit more...

This is a fairly new monastery. I haven't visited but I know OCA clergy have celebrated there.

#3 Alice

Alice

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 673 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 03:28 PM

'Controversy' is often a convenient word for a situation where people are being slandered and/or gossiped about in situations of opportunity and political agendas.

Such situations pop up time to time in our U.S. Orthodox church jurisdictions and innocent people often get caught up in the 'cross fire', as it were.

Jesus was 'controversial'. St. Nektarios was 'controversial'....

The nuns of St. Nina's Monastery are of the most wonderful Orthodox nuns you will ever meet. I have known them and Elder Dionysios for years. I hold them in the highest esteem of respect and honor that anyone can hold another.

I pray that the Lord will make it possible for me to visit them in their new home on this side of the Atlantic.

Edited by Alice, 13 February 2013 - 03:39 PM.

#4 Brian D.

Brian D.

Junior Poster

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 01:24 AM

As for the current Monastery of St. Nina near DC, I don't know if their situation has been "made regular", for the lack of a better term, but I know that among several local parishes of varying jurisdictions here in MD (including my own Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the USA parish) we have been told not to visit until further notice.

#5 Alice

Alice

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 673 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 03:39 AM

This is not the first monastery in this country to encounter, or to have encountered such a problem, and the 'official' distance of certain jurisdictions. For the sake of propriety, I will not mention anything more.

Gossip is a dangerous tool of the devil which takes casualties from lay persons to clerics, monastics to saints. Once it has taken root, it takes a long time for its harm to be undone.

St. Nektarios established a woman's monastery in Aegina, Greece in his later years. Despite his many pleas and letters, the monastery was never granted its proper status. Never the less, the faithful, having spiritual discernment, continued to visit him for confessions and take in the spiritual oasis of the monastery and comfort from its nuns.

One hundred years later, the Patriarchate of Alexandria, where the evil one started his life long attack of slander against the saint, issued a formal apology:

Decision of the Church of Alexandria

Alexandria 15th September 1998

The Holy Spirit has enlightened the gathered members of the Holy Synod of the Patriarchate of Alexandria and all Africa, under the leadership of H.B. Petros VII, Pope
and Patriarch of Alexandria and all Africa, more than a century since
Saint Nektarios, the great Teacher and Father of the Holy Eastern
Orthodox Church was expelled from the Church of Alexandria, to reach the following decision:

Taking into account the resolution of the Church to rank Saint
Nektarios amongst the saints because of his innumerable miracles and
his acceptance within the religious conscience of Orthodox Christians
throughout the world, we appeal to the mercy of the ever-charitable God.

We hereby restore the ecclesiastical order of the Saint of our
Century, Saint Nektarios, and grant to him all due credits and honors.
We beseech Saint Nektarios to forgive both us, unworthy as we are, and
our predecessors, our brothers of the Throne of Alexandria, for
opposition to the Saint and for all which, due to human weakness or
error, our Holy Father, Bishop of Pentapolis, Saint Nektarios, suffered.

**********************************************************************************************************

May the Lord God have mercy on us all!

Edited by Alice, 14 February 2013 - 03:48 AM.

#6 Brian D.

Brian D.

Junior Poster

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 09:51 PM

Hi Alice ... I was't trying to gossip (and I hope my heart didn't go there!) I was just mentioning public info regarding the monastery in question. For the record, I've been there when it was the Entrance of the Theotokos Monastery and spent an enjoyable day there with the nuns, helping out with odd jobs on their recently acquired grounds. If anyone cares to see pics, send a message and I'll send a link to my Flickr site. (I originally posted a link within this current post but it messed up the formatting)

Whatever the situation is, I hope things work out for the good of all involved.

#7 Alice

Alice

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 673 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 12:21 AM

I would love to see the photos. Send me a pm with the link! Thanks so much, dear Brian.

Be well,

In Christ,

Alice :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users