• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Philip Walton

Philip Walton

Junior Poster

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 02:12 PM

I am looking into what books are out there on Saint Silouan and of course the writings by Archimandrite Sophrony are going to be the first to read. Now, as far as I can see there are three books by Fr. Sophrony that are directly about Saint Silouan: "Saint Silouan the Athonite" "The Monk of Mount Athos", and "Wisdom from Mount Athos".

However, when looking at the descriptions for these three books it sounds as if "The Monk of Mount Athos" and "Wisdom from Mount Athos" are in essence just "Saint Silouan the Athonite" broken up into two different books, the first detailing Saint Silouan's life and the second his actual writings and teachings.

Is there anyone who has looked at all three of these books and could tell whether this is the case, or whether the two smaller books are perhaps supplementary to the larger biography? Also, while we're at it, are there are any recommendations for other books about Saint Silouan? Thanks everybody!

#2 Father David Moser

Father David Moser

• Moderators
  • 3,581 posts
  • Orthodox Christian Member
  • Verified Cleric

Posted 26 February 2013 - 02:41 PM

Actually the Monk of Mt Athos and Wisdom from Mt Athos were published first as separate books (by SVS iirc), perhaps before St Silouan was actually glorified.  I would guess that this was done in relation to the translation process.  More recently they have been combined and published as one volume in St Silouan the Athonite.

Fr David

#3 Philip Walton

Philip Walton

Junior Poster

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 03:32 PM

Ahhh okay. Thank you very much! 

#4 Rdr Andreas

Rdr Andreas

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,032 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 03:41 PM

In addition to St Silouan the Athonite, I would recommend His Life is Mine, Words of Life and On Prayer.  For those who can read Russian (the original) or Greek (trans. Fr Zacharias, I think), Letters to Russia is (according to those I know who read Russian) particularly good.

#5 Philip Walton

Philip Walton

Junior Poster

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 04:05 PM

Thank you Andreas! I have read His Life is Mine, I was actually given that book to read as part of my studying as a catechumen, before I even knew who Saint Silouan was. I went back to it recently after hearing and reading some things about Saint Silouan and deciding that I needed to read all I could about him, and it is amazing how little I understood and "got" that book when I first read it. Archimandrite Sophrony (and the little I have read of Saint Silouan) have this amazing ability to write theology in such a powerful and poetic way, it's unlike anything else I've read and seems very important for our times. Well, thank you again for the recommendations!

#6 Rdr Andreas

Rdr Andreas

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,032 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 07:12 PM

Fr Sophrony's writngs are experiential rather than academic theology.

#7 Rdr Andreas

Rdr Andreas

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,032 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 07:15 AM

It is worth mentioning that the English translations of Fr Sophrony's writings owe much to the spiritual character, insight and literary talent of Rosemary Edmonds.  She captured the spirit and inner meaning of his writings in a remarkable way.  She worked closely with Fr Sophrony on the texts she translated.  She also was responsible for the text of the liturgy which Fr Sophrony approved and which is published by OUP.

#8 Fr Seraphim (Black)

Fr Seraphim (Black)

Retired member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 366 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 10:54 PM

Dear Philip,

If you have the good fortune to understand French you will be very blessed indeed. During his final years Father Sophrony spoke regularly, health permitting to not just the members of his monastic community but to all who had the ineffable blessing to be visiting the Monastery, virtually each week gathered together in the Church of Saint Silouan the Athonite. These talks (increasingly in Russian due to his age) were all recorded with such care and love by the Community and are available due to the love and charity of Father Sophrony, Father Kyrill, Father Symeon et al. The publication "Buisson Ardent" created by the l'Association Saint-Silouane l'Athonite, founded in 1993, now published by 'Diffusion CERF' is a veritable treasure of ineffable beauty:

Association Saint-Silouane l'Athonite, La Palunette, F-13490 Jouques, CCP 7 47550 T, DIJON

or:

"CAHIERS SAINT-SILOUANE L'ATHONITE", Redaction, Jean-Claude Polet, avenue Jean De Luxembourg, 37, B-1330 Rixensart

Forgive any typos as I am almost late for Great Compline.

Bonne Chance!!

fr. seraphim

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users