RomanSee

Junior Poster

• Members
  • Pip
  • 26 posts
  • Guest from Another Religious Tradition

Posted 06 March 2013 - 02:24 AM

Hello everyone,

I'm looking for a good book or resource on the doctrine of Theosis. My main goal is to find a somewhat modern (if possible) book about the teaching that could be used for a book study, but any and all resources are appreciated. Thanks!

Anthony

#2 Edith M. Humphrey

Edith M. Humphrey

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
  • Orthodox Christian Member

Posted 06 March 2013 - 02:43 AM

Though there are some controversial aspects to his thought (some think he is too Western at points) and the English translation accentuates this (the French is better), I still like Vladimir Lossky's Vision of God.

#3 Herman Blaydoe

Herman Blaydoe

• Moderators
  • 4,157 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 02:47 AM

Orthodox Psychotherapy by Metropolitan Heirotheos Vlachos.

#4 RomanSee

RomanSee

Junior Poster

• Members
  • Pip
  • 26 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 03:26 AM

It looks like both those titles are out of print...any suggestions? I'm trying to find some links to an ebook or something...

#5 Kyrill Bolton

Kyrill Bolton

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 104 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 01:52 PM

It looks like both those titles are out of print...any suggestions? I'm trying to find some links to an ebook or something...

Amazon has the Vision of God new in paperback at this link

#6 Anna Stickles

Anna Stickles

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,365 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 04:44 PM

WIthout actively participating in the sacraments of the Church theosis is very hard to understand. Basically the doctrine of theosis is grounded in the experience of being saved and united with Christ through participation in his resurrected humanity.    

Additionally a right anthropology of man is an essential prerequisite.   For this you might want to try Fr Seraphim Rose's Genesis, Creation, and Early Man.   Also St Gregory of Nyssa's On the Christian Mode of Life is something I found very accessible, even though it is not modern.

I don't know how much background you have already.

#7 Edith M. Humphrey

Edith M. Humphrey

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 05:33 PM

Anthony, if you haven't read Fr. Schmemann's For th Life of the World, you must.  It is short, deep, and not directly on theosis, but it certainly pertains to it!  Also, if you want  a collection of essays,from both outside and inside Orthodoxy, I suggest
Michael J. Christensen and Jeffery A. Wittung, eds.  Partakers
of the Divine Nature: The History and Development of Deification in the
Christian Traditions. 
Grand Rapids:
Baker Academic, 2007.

(I wrote a review for this in Logos, which I can send to you if you are interested.)

Also, not because I am deep (Far from it!), but because I have recently made the move to Orthodoxy, you might be interested in a recent radio broadcast on the Orthodox Network, found at http://www.myocn.net...or-Theosis.html.  There I talk about how my reception into Orthodoxy and my reading of the church Fathers has changed my view of Scriptural passages that deal with theosis. 

And I agree entirely with Anna, that to understand more fully, one has to be immersed in the worship life of the Church. But sometimes coming to a preliminary

understanding is part of that quest, as it was for me. 

Best to you!

Edith

#8 Kathryn Conant

Kathryn Conant

Junior Poster

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 01:51 AM

Orthodox Psychotherapy by Metropolitan Heirotheos Vlachos.

http://www.amazon.co...s/dp/9607070275

#9 RomanSee

RomanSee

Junior Poster

• Members
  • Pip
  • 26 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 02:05 AM

Thanks for all the info. 

I know the two books earlier mentioned are on amazon, but they are out of print and are $40-$60 a piece and out of my budget for any type of group study material.

Fr Seraphim Rose's Genesis, Creation, and Early Man.

I want to stand clear of this one for now, simply because it's such a loaded issue and I personally am a member of the evolutionary school of thought, (as a scientist and a believer) But thank you for that essay :)

Edited by Anthony D., 07 March 2013 - 02:05 AM.

#10 Anna Stickles

Anna Stickles

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,365 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 01:48 PM

Well for Biblical verses on theosis  see I Cor 15:35+ which is one of the clearest biblical descriptions, and also I John 3:2, which is the most basic and clear statement explaining it.   One way to look at it is that theosis is just a fancy name for our inheritance in the resurrected, and transformed nature of the Incarnate Christ.  To some extent that starts now for us, in a mirror darkly, but will be completed for us and all of creation at the final restoration of all things.  cf  Rom 8:18-23, 29-30

as Hyppolytus says, God the father sent His Son to man, " in order to wash him with water and the Spirit; and He, begetting us again to incorruption of soul and body, breathed into us the breath of life, and endowed us with an incorruptible panoply. If therefore, man has become immortal, he will also be god, and if he is made god by water and the Holy Spirit after the regeneration of the laver, he is found to be also joint-heir with Christ after the resurrection of the dead." Discourse on Holy Theophany

And St John Chrysostom, commenting on Gal 3:27 and Paul's statement that in our baptism we put on Christ. "Why does he (Paul) not say ' for as many of you as have been baptized into Christ, have been born of God', for this was what directly constituted proof that they were sons?  The reason is that he states it in a much more awe-inspiring way.: if Christ be the Son of God and you have put him on, you, by having the Son within yourself and being fashioned after his pattern, have been brought into one kindred and nature with him.."

#11 Matthew

Matthew

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 120 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 04:02 PM

I love this small PDF, available in a variety of languages:

http://orthodoxinfo....al/theosis.aspx

Matthew

#12 Owen Jones

Owen Jones

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,341 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 06:30 PM

Simply put, theosis is about humans changing, and especially changing our perception of God and the things He has made, not God changing His nature or perception.  The great temptation is to believe that God changes His perspective toward us, even undergoing a change in His nature, which implies that we can get Him to be merciful and loving toward us and sympathetic because we have been good.  So, in asking the question, what is theosis, what is behind the question?  On the one hand, let us all praise God that someone in our own age is even asking the question.  On the other hand, it is always important to ask ourselves, to what end?  For example, Do I really desire to be obedient?  Or am I just trying to get noticed? 

#13 Lakis Papas

Lakis Papas

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 617 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 10:45 PM

Let me suggest the book: The Ladder of Divine Ascenthttp://en.wikipedia...._Divine_Ascent 

(I know, this is not a modern book)

The Ladder consists of 30 chapters, or "rungs",

• 1–4: Renunciation of the world and obedience to a spiritual father
    • 1. On renunciation of the world, or asceticism
    • 2. On detachment
    • 3. On exile or pilgrimage; concerning dreams that beginners have
    • 4. On blessed and ever-memorable obedience (in addition to episodes involving many individuals)
  • 5–7: Penitence and affliction as paths to true joy
    • 5. On painstaking and true repentance, which constitutes the life of the holy convicts, and about the Prison
    • 6. On remembrance of death
    • 7. On joy-making mourning
  • 8–17: Defeat of vices and acquisition of virtue
    • 8. On freedom from anger and on meekness
    • 9. On remembrance of wrongs
    • 10. On slander or calumny
    • 11. On talkativeness and silence
    • 12. On lying
    • 13. On despondency
    • 14. On that clamorous mistress, the stomach
    • 15. On incorruptible purity and chastity, to which the corruptible attain by toil and sweat
    • 16. On love of money, or avarice
    • 17. On non-possessiveness (that hastens one Heavenwards)
  • 18–26: Avoidance of the traps of asceticism (laziness, pride, mental stagnation)
    • 18. On insensibility, that is, deadening of the soul and the death of the mind before the death of the body
    • 19. On sleep, prayer, and psalmody with the brotherhood
    • 20. On bodily vigil and how to use it to attain spiritual vigil, and how to practice it
    • 21. On unmanly and puerile cowardice
    • 22. On the many forms of vainglory
    • 23. On mad pride and (in the same Step) on unclean blasphemous thoughts; concerning unmentionable blasphemous thoughts
    • 24. On meekness, simplicity, and guilelessness, which come not from nature but from conscious effort, and on guile
    • 25. On the destroyer of the passions, most sublime humility, which is rooted in spiritual perception
    • 26. On discernment of thoughts, passions and virtues; on expert discernment; brief summary of all aforementioned
  • 27–29: Acquisition of hesychia, or peace of the soul, of prayer, and of apatheia (dispassion or equanimity with respect to afflictions or suffering
    • 27. On holy stillness of body and soul; different aspects of stillness and how to distinguish them
    • 28. On holy and blessed prayer, the mother of virtues, and on the attitude of mind and body in prayer
    • 29. Concerning Heaven on earth, or Godlike dispassion and perfection, and the resurrection of the soul before the general resurrection
  • 30. Concerning the linking together of the supreme trinity among the virtues; a brief exhortation summarizing all that has said at length in this book

240px-The_Ladder_of_Divine_Ascent_Monast

Edited by Lakis Papas, 07 March 2013 - 10:46 PM.

#14 Rdr Andreas

Rdr Andreas

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,032 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 09:37 PM

The writings of Elder Sophrony and Archimandrite Zacharias deal with theosis.  For a start, try this: http://silouan.narod...c_veniamin1.htm

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users